New to Cruising...and Nervous

jennerpoo14

Hello everyone my name is Jenn and I am new to cruising....My first cruise is March 8th on the Carnival Liberty. I am taking my 6 year old with me. While I know everyone's concern is seasickness. Me and my daughter are not prone to motion sickness so in theory I am hoping we will be ok! We do have a balcony room pretty close to midship.

What does everyone suggest?

Different things work for different people (and some never need anything). I would take some Bonine. It does not make you as drowsy as some other OTC meds. They even make a chewable tablet that's great for kids who don't like pills.

Odds are, you won't be bothered--large cruise ships are usually fairly calm sailing. And children are less likely to be bothered.

I used "the patch" our first couple of cruises preventatively but didn't like the dry mouth--or the issue if you touch the patch then touch your eye! Gave it up, and have been fine (except one very rocky NYEve) ever since.

Ginger ale, green apples, bonine, sea bands work pretty well.

We've cruised with as many as 26 family members in the past. Out of the 26, all ages from small children to elderly, only one experienced any motion sickness. It was on the first night in the MDR and she was sitting next to the window watching the water. She took a Bonine and was fine within the hour. Never experienced a problem or needed an additional bonine.

Thank you everyone for all the pointers! I am getting the sea bands and putting them on myself and my daughter...I am hoping that will void off any potential issues! I have never heard of the green apples before...So a green apple every morning will be happening! haha.

Thank you everyone for all the pointers! I am getting the sea bands and putting them on myself and my daughter...I am hoping that will void off any potential issues! I have never heard of the green apples before...So a green apple every morning will be happening! haha.

On a note about this, unless things changed (which they may have!) I have seen a lot of reports over the years of people using green apples. The problem is, I have heard of a lot of instances where they run out! So if you want to do this, and I heard it really works and sometimes better than other methods, grab 5 or so on the first day and keep them in your room!

On a different note, my husband gets really motion sick, he can't ride in the backseat of a car at all. He hasn't felt sick on any cruise he has taken from the larger ships to the smallest of the commercial lines. On the Carnival Legend we had some really rough seas at the end, to the point they closed down the kids club because so many kids were getting sick. My husband didn't notice a thing!

As others have said, motion sickness is a big fear, but you may not have any problems. A big ship on the ocean is different from anything else you have experienced, and past experience with motion-sickness on land does not seem to predict if you will have a problem on a ship.

I would bring some motion-sickness pills in dosages for both of you (or know in advance how to cut adult pills for a child dose). Ginger in any form definitely helps settle the stomach (ginger ale, candies). But all these take time to kick in.

For quick relief from queasiness: Get away and stay away from anyone else who is being sick. Get outside, and breathe the fresh air. Look at the horizon, not the waves. Get busy doing something else - the more you can take the mind away from the idea of sickness the better.

Hello everyone my name is Jenn and I am new to cruising....My first cruise is March 8th on the Carnival Liberty. I am taking my 6 year old with me. While I know everyone's concern is seasickness. Me and my daughter are not prone to motion sickness so in theory I am hoping we will be ok! We do have a balcony room pretty close to midship.

What does everyone suggest?

Saltine crackers help. So does ginger ale. I don't think there will be a problem though.

Sea bands do work! And they are a non-medicinal way of controlling sea sickness. Enjoy your cruise! (mine is in 15 days!)

On a note about this, unless things changed (which they may have!) I have seen a lot of reports over the years of people using green apples. The problem is, I have heard of a lot of instances where they run out! So if you want to do this, and I heard it really works and sometimes better than other methods, grab 5 or so on the first day and keep them in your room!

If everybody grabs 5, just in case, no wonder they run out. ;)

I think one apple a day (considering my daughter LOVES apples) will be sufficient. I know for sure I am putting a seaband on her. I found a hot pink one that looks like tie-dye which she will love too. Thank you again everyone for all the advice!

I think one apple a day (considering my daughter LOVES apples) will be sufficient. I know for sure I am putting a seaband on her. I found a hot pink one that looks like tie-dye which she will love too. Thank you again everyone for all the advice!

Have fun the enjoy the cruise.