Amsterdam Windmills Help!

Schermerhorn is less touristic but you will only see 1 windmill there. Zaanse Schans is more touristic, you will see (and visit by paying entrance fee) more windmills. Also how klompen (clogs) are made, taste various cheeses etc.

Zaanse Schans is also closer to Amsterdam

Not been to Schermerhorn but we loved Zaanse Schans. We went there on a land vacation and just took the local bus from Amsterdam Central station. It's a very interesting place and picturesque too.

Schermerhorn is less touristic but you will only see 1 windmill there. Zaanse Schans is more touristic, you will see (and visit by paying entrance fee) more windmills. Also how klompen (clogs) are made, taste various cheeses etc.

Zaanse Schans is also closer to Amsterdam

Thank you very much for the advice! ;p

Hello!

It's going to be our first time going to Amsterdam and we are taking a full day private tour, we need to choose between a visit to Schermerhorn or Zaanse Schans.:confused:

Please can anyone help with some advise on which town is better to visit?

Thanks,

Emy

Schemerhorn? I doubt many Dutch would even know it existed. Zaansche Schans, no doubt.

I loved Zaanse Schans! The setting is absolutely beautiful and makes for some terrific camera shots. I know it's touristy, but it was still so quaint and compact. It was easy to get around and climbing the windmills was awesome (and a bit scary!). How about watching some Youtube videos to help make your decision? Here's Zaanse Schans to get you started:

• 2 weeks later...

I've never heard of Schermerhorn and I'm from the Netherlands lol. But that doesn't mean it's not nice! As others said, it's probably a lot less touristy. So it depends on what you would like to do and see. Aside from Zaanse Schans, you could visit Zaandam. Which is basically next to it. They have really nice and colorful houses :)

Another place you could visit, it's only further away, is Alkmaar! It's really lovely and they have the biggest cheese market. So if you love cheese as much as I do ;p I would recommend it!

Whatever you will choose, I hope you enjoy your stay in The Netherlands! :)

We are considering this tour through Viator during a four day pre-cruise visit to Amsterdam in the fall of 2018.

https://www.viator.com/tours/Amsterdam/Zaanse-Schans-Windmills-Marken-and-Volendam-Half-Day-Trip-from-Amsterdam/d525-2550LIN2A?eap=visitacity-c71384026-14055&aid=vba14055en

Is the extra time in Marken & Volendam worth it or would we be better off just going to Zaanse-Schans via train from Centraal Station? This would be our first (and possibly last) visit to Amsterdam, so we want to make the best of it!

We are considering this tour through Viator during a four day pre-cruise visit to Amsterdam in the fall of 2018.

https://www.viator.com/tours/Amsterdam/Zaanse-Schans-Windmills-Marken-and-Volendam-Half-Day-Trip-from-Amsterdam/d525-2550LIN2A?eap=visitacity-c71384026-14055&aid=vba14055en

Is the extra time in Marken & Volendam worth it or would we be better off just going to Zaanse-Schans via train from Centraal Station? This would be our first (and possibly last) visit to Amsterdam, so we want to make the best of it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We loved Zaanse-Schans because there are several authentic windmills there (moved from various locations). Awesome photo opportunities. Yes it might be considered touristy but hello I'm a tourist. It is a lovely place to wander around. There are also demonstrations to see shoe and cheese making the authentic way. You then get to spend additional time in Amsterdam which is a wonderful place.

Edited by Got2Cruise

I'm not sure why it isn't mentioned, but Volendam is worth a visit just to have your picture taken in traditional clothing. There are a few competitors, but this one seems the oldest: http://www.fotoinvolendamkostuum.nl/en/

This is one of the few super-touristy things many Dutch have done themselves, including me. The place is filled with pictures of celebrities as well. According to the history page on the site Americans having their picture taken started in 1925 so chances are you already know what they look like :)

We are proposing to visit Zaanse Schans on our own from the cruise terminal. The ship is docked overnight, so no time limitations. What would be the best way of getting there and back and how do you buy train/bus tickets. How do you get from the port to the train and bus stations?

Thanks.

We are proposing to visit Zaanse Schans on our own from the cruise terminal. The ship is docked overnight, so no time limitations. What would be the best way of getting there and back and how do you buy train/bus tickets. How do you get from the port to the train and bus stations?

Thanks.

Amsterdam Centraal Station is a 10 minute walk from the ship. Fares are paid with a chip card, which are available for single use at machines:

http://9292.nl/en/fares-and-public-transport/train/single-train-tickets

Zaanse Schans is 20 minutes by train, and another 10 minute walk to get to the museum

http://zaansmuseum.nl/informatie/bezoekersinformatie/?lang=en

• 1 month later...

Question for those who have been. We were hoping to rent bikes, bike from Amsterdam, through Zaanse Schans, and then up to Edam. We have an entire day for this. Is this doable? It doesn't look like too much of a bike ride...about an hour to Zaanse Schans and then another hour to Edam.

Is Edam worth going to see?

Question for those who have been. We were hoping to rent bikes, bike from Amsterdam, through Zaanse Schans, and then up to Edam. We have an entire day for this. Is this doable? It doesn't look like too much of a bike ride...about an hour to Zaanse Schans and then another hour to Edam.

Is Edam worth going to see?

If you are used to bike such distances, yes it is doable, but I think you need more time then stated. Be aware that it will and can be (very) windy in that part of the Netherlands, incl. often some rain.

You need a good map, since highways are closed to bikes, but at places you will find special bike paths.

You might consider going to Volendam instead of Edam. Edam is indeed a nice small city with a nice centre, but has not that much to offer as Volendam to tourists.

PS to all of you going to Zaanse Schans. Recently there have been many problems with pickpockers. Be aware of your belongings at all times!!!!

If you are used to bike such distances, yes it is doable, but I think you need more time then stated. Be aware that it will and can be (very) windy in that part of the Netherlands, incl. often some rain.

You need a good map, since highways are closed to bikes, but at places you will find special bike paths.

You might consider going to Volendam instead of Edam. Edam is indeed a nice small city with a nice centre, but has not that much to offer as Volendam to tourists.

Thank you!!

PS to all of you going to Zaanse Schans. Recently there have been many problems with pickpockers. Be aware of your belongings at all times!!!!

You know, it's odd...my husband and I were talking about how there is so much pick pocketing in Europe and wondering why you don't find that in the states. It's not like there's not crime here in the states, just never heard of anyone being pick pocketed. I wonder why that is?

You know, it's odd...my husband and I were talking about how there is so much pick pocketing in Europe and wondering why you don't find that in the states. It's not like there's not crime here in the states, just never heard of anyone being pick pocketed. I wonder why that is?

Most of those pickpockers are coming from Rumania or other eastern european countries. In the southern countries it are often the gypsies, many of them also from the eastern europe. Problem are the open borders I think and of course the poverty still in those countries. Although being pickpocketed (happened to us 2 x, 1 x in Amsterdam and 1 x in Istanbul), feels horrible, there is no violence involved. Just donot take with you what you donot need, keep your bag in front of you, not money in pockets etc. and be aware.

Quite a few were arrested by the police over the last few days, so that might help for the coming time.

The decline of pickpocketing in the US this century is a cultural phenomenon that criminologists do not really understand. There will be multiple causes, no doubt, and there is a theory that once it went into decline it carried on declining because of the traditional 'apprenticeship' system - there's no one to pass on the skills. But it is a bit of a mystery!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The decline of pickpocketing in the US this century is a cultural phenomenon that criminologists do not really understand. There will be multiple causes, no doubt, and there is a theory that once it went into decline it carried on declining because of the traditional 'apprenticeship' system - there's no one to pass on the skills. But it is a bit of a mystery!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Regarding the decline of pickpocketing in the US, I read an interesting article awhile ago: http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2011/02/the_lost_art_of_pickpocketing.html

• 3 weeks later...

We were just informed by Holland America that our cruise will be departing Amsterdam from "VCKWaterland Terminal located at Elbaweg 10, 1044 AD" which looks like it's way away from where I thought we were departing from (dock near Movenpick hotel)

We have booked a 10:30 am walking tour in Dam Square which lasts two hours. We are supposed to be at the ship 1:30. So from 12:30-1:30 we would need to get back to the Movenpick hotel from Dam Square, pick up our luggage and get back across town to this new dock. Is this doable? Could we get a taxi near Dam Square that would drive us to Movenpick, wait while we pick up our luggage, and then drive us to the dock?

Or do we walk from Dam Square to Movenpick and take a taxi from there? Or is it all impossible and we will have to cancel our Dam Square tour?

We were just informed by Holland America that our cruise will be departing Amsterdam from "VCKWaterland Terminal located at Elbaweg 10, 1044 AD" which looks like it's way away from where I thought we were departing from (dock near Movenpick hotel)

We have booked a 10:30 am walking tour in Dam Square which lasts two hours. We are supposed to be at the ship 1:30. So from 12:30-1:30 we would need to get back to the Movenpick hotel from Dam Square, pick up our luggage and get back across town to this new dock. Is this doable? Could we get a taxi near Dam Square that would drive us to Movenpick, wait while we pick up our luggage, and then drive us to the dock?

Or do we walk from Dam Square to Movenpick and take a taxi from there? Or is it all impossible and we will have to cancel our Dam Square tour?

From Dam take any tram to Centraal Station, there change to tramnr 26 which stops close to the Movenpick and cruise terminal. Of course a cab will be the quickest way. Walking all the way might take about 30 minutes,

Still it will be doable either way. Cab from the cruiseterminal to the other terminal at VCK Waterland Terminal, Elbaweg 10, 1044 AD, Amsterdam will be another 20/25 minutes. This terminal is in an industrial area in the western section of town.

From Dam take any tram to Centraal Station, there change to tramnr 26 which stops close to the Movenpick and cruise terminal. Of course a cab will be the quickest way. Walking all the way might take about 30 minutes,

Still it will be doable either way. Cab from the cruiseterminal to the other terminal at VCK Waterland Terminal, Elbaweg 10, 1044 AD, Amsterdam will be another 20/25 minutes. This terminal is in an industrial area in the western section of town.

Thank you so much for all you've contributed in this thread. It's great having some "insider" knowledge.