Malaga or the Alhambra

sueal

This would depend on the likelihood that you might return to the area for a land based trip in the future.

The Alhambra and Granada are exceptional. To me the Alhambra is one of the 'must see' sights in the world. I have visited the Alhambra on many occasions and usually just do a one night stay, but not everyone has that possibility.

Malaga has improved greatly in recent years and is a very decent destination, but in no way compares to the Alhambra.

IMO Malaga has so much to offer (castle, Roman amphitheatre, Tapas bars, market, numerous museums, Cathedral and great shops).

The Alhambra is better known but, just my personal opinion, it is not worth a 4 hour return journey. Stay in Malaga and visit the Alcazaba there - similar age to the Alhambra/on a smaller scale, but without the crowds and sadly missed by so many visitors to the CDS.

I love Malaga, but if there is a chance that this will be your only trip to the south of Spain, then you must visit the Alhambra.

Make sure that the tour offers the pre booked admission tickets, with timed admission to the Nasri palace. If the tour does not offer the opportunity to visit the Nasri, then I would seriously consider staying in Malaga.

My husband and I have difficulty walking for any fairly long period of time. Would you recommend Alhambra to us, as well?

Personally I would say that you should not go. There is a lot of walking and the crowds, even with timed entry tickets make the use of scooters difficult. In addition you do not say when your planned visit will take place, but in the summer it will be HOT!

Personally I would say that you should not go. There is a lot of walking and the crowds, even with timed entry tickets make the use of scooters difficult. In addition you do not say when your planned visit will take place, but in the summer it will be HOT!

Thanks for the response. We will be there the beginning of November, so I'm not anticipating extreme heat, but is there an ability to sit and rest periodically while visiting? That would make it a bit more feasible.

This would depend on the likelihood that you might return to the area for a land based trip in the future.

The Alhambra and Granada are exceptional. To me the Alhambra is one of the 'must see' sights in the world. I have visited the Alhambra on many occasions and usually just do a one night stay, but not everyone has that possibility.

Malaga has improved greatly in recent years and is a very decent destination, but in no way compares to the Alhambra.

Alhambra by far.

• 1 month later...
The Alhambra was great, the only problem for us was using a NCL excursion. It was a drawn out, very wasteful use of time, to make it all day, and overly expensive.

Terrible guide through the Alhambra, lots of waiting.

Use a non-NCL tour.

We decided to go with a private tour with Spain Day tours bc I read so much negative with NCL tours. We will be there on 12/26

My husband and I have difficulty walking for any fairly long period of time. Would you recommend Alhambra to us, as well?

I went to the Alhambra about 8 weeks after having had a total hip replacement. I was using a cane by then. I was able to do the tour of the palace itself but not the gardens. It was well worth doing. I was 66 then.

• 2 weeks later...

To those who have already visited Alhambra (which IS a "must"!) and walked around Malaga (or prefer not to do that) - here is an alternative from Malaga. On our last October TA cruise we organised a Costa del Sol tour from there which included Marbella, port Banus and Mijas. We did it with Spain Day Tours, after I had written them an email asking for alternatives to Granada.

It was a great tour.. didn't involve that much driving like Alahambra and of course also much less expensive! I loved Marbella and even more Mijas, which is small and lovely. Great ceramics there too!

Miriam

We just completed a B2B2B series and two of the legs included calls at Malaga, with one of the port calls being an overnight at this wonderful city.

We used Spain Day Tours for a wonderful trip to Alhambra, and found it well worth the time required for transit. We also were able to visit the Alcazaba, and while we enjoyed it, thought that our enjoyment of Alcazaba was enhanced by our excellent guide, who provided great information, at the Alhambra.

• 1 month later...
The Alhambra is absolutely exceptional but with four-hour travel time to\from Malaga, there may not be really enough time to do justice to the place. It has to be a very well organized tour with pre-booked admissions so that there is no time lost on waiting.

That's true. But SDT are really good at organizing this tour (I suppose they have lots and lots of experience). So if you don't plan to go anytime soon to Granada on land on your own.. and if a cruise is your only option to get there - then take this tour. It's worth it. Most of TA cruises from/to Barcelona stop in Malaga so this is a good opportunity. And of course the longest stay in port on that day - the better your tour will be.