Flying to Quebec

cruiserjanet

When we flew to Quebec in 2014 on Air Canada from Los Angeles, we had a layover in Toronto, then on to Quebec. Fortunately we didn't have to recheck our luggage. We are booked for the Canada/New England cruise in 2017 and are trying to decide if we want to do a similar flight again or look at a possible different route of Los Angeles, a layover at JFK, then to Quebec on Delta. My DH is tall so Delta has better seat options for his long legs than Air Canada. We also prefer an early morning flight to a redeye. Since we only fly once a year, if that, I am open to suggestions.

Edited by cruiserjanet

I am going to assume that you are talking about fall 2017. If so, flights won't be loaded into the GDS for several months. Two considerations....there are few flights from JFK to YQB, so be sure to consider what kind of backup plans are available, and DL uses CRJs on that right, which aren't the most comfortable in any case. Not sure what AC uses from YYZ.

In any case, lots can happen between now and then, so make some decisions what is important TO YOU. Flight times, connections, equipment, price - all have to be in YOUR decision matrix, not anyone else's.

When researching flights, I look for them on the day we are flying out but a year earlier. I know schedules can change but I've found they don't change by much. I like to have a few flights to choose from in case one of them isn't available anymore. I'm curious as to what JFK is like as a layover. Is it better to stick with Toronto?

I've flown both of these routes. Both options have their pluses and minuses. A comparison:

-Aircraft: as mentioned, DL flies baby jets (CRJ) between JFK and YQB, while AC flies their big prop plane (Q400) between YYZ and YQB. While I'm a big fan of the Dash-8 planes for short hops, flying one between YYZ-YQB is really pushing my distance tolerance for such a trip. OTOH, I found the CRJ used by DL to be perfectly acceptable, so on this I would have to give the edge to DL.

-Frequency: well, this one is a slam dunk for YYZ, as their are many more options from there than from JFK.

-Airport: everyone slams JFK, and while I've only flown through there a couple of times, I've never had any major issues. YYZ always manages a way to bug me. That said, I can't say it's particularly bad, so I will call this one even.

Note that these aren't your only options for flying LAX-YQB. In terms of US airports with non-stop flights to YQB, you can fly from either ORD or EWR on UA. Also, you can fly non-stop LAX-YUL, which to me would be infinitely better than going through YYZ; not only are there many more flight options between YUL-YQB, in a pinch you can take the bus if you can't get a connecting flight.

I'm curious as to what JFK is like as a layover. Is it better to stick with Toronto?

I haven't stayed over at Toronto but have at JFK on numerous occasions, and it's my least favorite layover point in the US. By a mile. The hotels I've used (probably 3 or 4 different ones over time) have been overpriced, lacking in amenities, poorly located, and not very well maintained. All of them. Now maybe my luck's just bad, and maybe YMMV, but that's my experience.

What about flying to Montreal and renting a car for the 3-hour (freeway) drive to Quebec? By the time you go through Canadian border controls and/or change planes, fetch bags and are out of the airport, the total travel time might not be all that different.

Edited by Gardyloo

I haven't stayed over at Toronto but have at JFK on numerous occasions, and it's my least favorite layover point in the US. By a mile. The hotels I've used (probably 3 or 4 different ones over time) have been overpriced, lacking in amenities, poorly located, and not very well maintained. All of them. Now maybe my luck's just bad, and maybe YMMV, but that's my experience.

Nah, you're about on the money. As a local I can confirm the immediate area around JFK is a right dump but the standard of hotels isn't as bad as it was a few years back.

If I had an overnight at JFK I'd look to either Manhattan, or perhaps something a little less obvious such as the Allegria at Long Beach. It's about 25mins by Uber/taxi from JFK but right on the boardwalk and is an almost brand new hotel. Don't let the weird staged photos on the website put you off....some of the Asian airlines put their crews up here. They also do an amazing Sunday brunch.

http://www.allegriahotel.com/

I am on the same cruise but flying from San Diego to YQB. I currently have 3 possible options

UA SAN-ORD-YQB with a 5 hr layover

UA SAN-EWR-YQB redeye 3 hr layover

DL SAN-JFK-YQB 3 hr layover

My main issue is the ease of changing terminals as I believe at all these airports we would have to change terminals. We would like to stay airside and from what I have read the only way to do that in JFK and EWR is to take some form of a shuttle bus that we have to go outside to get and can be hard to locate. I read that the airtrain offered at both those is considered landside and we would have to go back through security again is that right?

The next thing is being able to kill time during the layover...decent place to sit and eat vs grabbing quick food. The money of the flights is only a couple hundred difference which is important but not like it is a ginormous difference.

I am leaning more towards the UA flight with the layover in ORD only because if I did my research right this is the one that has the easiest way to get between terminals/concourses for the change in planes from domestic to international.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Also, you can fly non-stop LAX-YUL, which to me would be infinitely better than going through YYZ; not only are there many more flight options between YUL-YQB, in a pinch you can take the bus if you can't get a connecting flight.

Fully agree. A stop in YUL would be preferable to YYZ in terms of options and being able to take a bus/train to Quebec City if necessary.

I took a quick look and another benefit would be avoiding Air Canada Rouge. Things could change between now and next year but currently Air Canada doesn't service this route with Rouge (which IMHO is a good thing).

When researching flights, I look for them on the day we are flying out but a year earlier. I know schedules can change but I've found they don't change by much. I like to have a few flights to choose from in case one of them isn't available anymore. I'm curious as to what JFK is like as a layover. Is it better to stick with Toronto?

To some degree, I imagine it depends on how long of a layover you're talking about, what airline you're flying, and whether you're flying coach or economy.

We have a 5 hour layover at JFK next month en route to Africa. While that's a bit long, we are looking forward to spending the time in the Delta Sky Club there....lots of seating, wi-fi, bathrooms, a number of food and beverage options, outdoor Sky Deck, etc. We've spent time at that particular Sky Club before and it's quite nice.

What about flying to Montreal and renting a car for the 3-hour (freeway) drive to Quebec?
+1 to the idea of looking at this as an option.

When we took a cruise starting in Quebec City last year, we concluded that the most sensible option was to fly to Montreal (and we then took the cruise line's transfer from there to the ship). The options for flying straight to Quebec City were all more complicated.

Two items to consider.....

AC between LAX and YYZ is a widebody aircraft on some flights. By this time next year all of the A330, 777 and 787 will be configured with Economy, Premium Economy and International Business. These aircraft are mostly used on overseas flights. The Premium Economy is a true premium economy seat with extra width, and legroom etc. On the domestic and US routes they sell these as economy and don't include the enhanced meal etc. They are sold as preferred seats and generally a good deal.

The above does not apply to the 767 or the narrow body fleet.

Second option is WestJet also via Toronto.

It is an option but keep in mind that WS code shares with AA, so if you pick an AA flight LAX - YYZ, you will have to change terminals at Toronto.

You do not. AA and WestJet operate from Terminal 3 in Toronto.