Has HAL started Something New for Mariners on Embarkation Day?

LAFFNVEGAS

I have spent many, many years in the same industry as you (am now in the behind the scenes area) and I fully agree with you. I suspect that in the not too distant future we may get a better idea of which direction things are heading.

We've seen these situations in the past (airlines come to mind) and the "enhancements" that come from them- like what used to be free coach meals now put on a plate and served as First Class meals. No more Mai Tai Volcanoes or prime rib carts in the aisle.

This post, as well as Lisa's and cruz chic's, are very interesting: doing away with "extras" like the VIP parties, Mariner receptions, Captain's Toast.

Maybe HAL will do away with the whole Mariner Society: the ships will be thrilled (my opinion). maybe money better spent on different marketing.

Could the above posters address the cause: Is this about cost? Time constraints? Space constraints? Officers who get wigged out having to do these events?

Edited by SilvertoGold

Could the above posters address the cause: Is this about cost? Time constraints? Space constraints? Officers who get wigged out having to do these events?

All of the above :D

HAL is Having a Management Conference coming up very soon so I am sure there will be more things that will be released in the upcoming weeks ;)

HAL is Having a Management Conference coming up very soon so I am sure there will be more things that will be released in the upcoming weeks ;)

Thank you, Lisa.

I wonder if HAL will actually announce any such decisions or we will just have to wait for reports from the ships to find out what to expect?

It is good to see you posting here, Lisa. Your personal opinion and professional info are both much appreciated.

I also think that the cruise lines see a new demographic coming into play. These are the people that have never had to wear a suit and tie to work and don't really care about formal nights, VIP parties, or pomp. Employee events at their companies aren't formal banquets they are concerts or theme parks or retreats with zip lines. I spent the first half of my career in a tie and the second half dressing only for the weather- I've seen both.

Most of our friends fall in this group.They have no problem dropping 4-5K for a week but are more concerned with what they will get for that investment. Just a bigger room, free espresso, and a "VIP party" doesn't cut it. NCL started the new trend with The Haven and RCCL and Celebrity are rolling out new programs now.

We are seeing cruise lines adding more and more inclusions for those paying the highest fares. Gratuities, dining, beverages- pretty much everything included.

I agree with many that have said that we are going to see more a-la-carte pricing schemes. Pricing from bare bones- eat in the Lido to all-inclusive paid up front.

Where are they holding Management Conference this year?

<snip>

Most of our friends fall in this group.They have no problem dropping 4-5K for a week but are more concerned with what they will get for that investment. Just a bigger room, free espresso, and a "VIP party" doesn't cut it. NCL started the new trend with The Haven and RCCL and Celebrity are rolling out new programs now.

We are seeing cruise lines adding more and more inclusions for those paying the highest fares. Gratuities, dining, beverages- pretty much everything included.

I agree with many that have said that we are going to see more a-la-carte pricing schemes. Pricing from bare bones- eat in the Lido to all-inclusive paid up front.

I see this coming.

More 'real' benefits for suite guests paying high fares....

I thought Koningsdam would roll out some venues for Suite guests the way other cruise lines have done. IMO, you cannot continue charging the suites 10 times/12+ the fares of many cabins. There is a limit how many will pay those high fares for same everything except for more square footage and a breakfast in Pinnacle/NeptuneLounge. Given other cruise lines have recognized this, Carnival Corp/HAL has to be watching.

I'm sailing a nice Suite on NCL soon and after 80+ cruises in a Neptune Suite on HAL, it is going to be very interesting comparing. I'm sailing a ship that does not have a Haven so it should be easier to do a realistic comparison.

I'm not sure it's a good idea for me to post such a comparison here. Too many will be hooting at me about Suite.

[/b]

I see this coming.

I thought Koningsdam would roll out some venues for Suite guests the way other cruise lines have done. IMO, you cannot continue charging the suites 10 times/12+ the fares of many cabins. There is a limit how many will pay those high fares for same everything except for more square footage and a breakfast in Pinnacle/NeptuneLounge. Given other cruise lines have recognized this, Carnival Corp/HAL has to be watching.

I'm sailing a nice Suite on NCL soon and after 80+ cruises in a Neptune Suite on HAL, it is going to be very interesting comparing. I'm sailing a ship that does not have a Haven so it should be easier to do a realistic comparison.

I'm not sure it's a good idea for me to post such a comparison here. Too many will be hooting at me about Suite.

[/b]

I think many are interested in comparisons Sail, and I encourage you to do one.

I see this coming.

[/b]

I'm curious which cruises attract such a high premium. I looked at my caribbean cruise. Double occupancy for a veranda is $2k. For a neptune it's $4700. I even looked at a Canada New England a few months from now. Inside is $1000 and neptune is $5k. A big difference for sure but not 10 to 12 times. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just curious.

I'm curious which cruises attract such a high premium. I looked at my caribbean cruise. Double occupancy for a veranda is $2k. For a neptune it's $4700. I even looked at a Canada New England a few months from now. Inside is $1000 and neptune is $5k. A big difference for sure but not 10 to 12 times. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just curious.

We used to pay between $14,500 - $16,000 for our Canada/NE Maasdam b-to-b's.

There were those who paid $399 or $499 for seven days. That would be $800 - $1,000 for the same fourteen days.

Oops, I was remembering our fares as being for two people. So, the $399 x 2 = $798 for seven days and $1,596 for fourteen days, two people sharing a cabin.

"S" Suite - 2 people - 14 days = $14,500 - $16,000

$399/pp per cruise - 2 people - 14 days = $1,596

Edited by sail7seas

We used to pay between $14,500 - $16,000 for our Canada/NE Maasdam b-to-b's.

There were those who paid $399 or $499 for seven days. That would be $800 - $1,000 for the same fourteen days.

Oops, I was remember our fares as being for two people. So, the $399 x 2 = $798 for seven days and $1,596 for fourteen days, two people sharing a cabin.

I could see it being that different for people that book far out and the last minute bookers. It's quite sickening for me as well even at the balcony level. What even more sickening is how these last minutes charlies have to tell everyone they come in contact how little they pay:rolleyes:.

I could see it being that different for people that book far out and the last minute bookers. It's quite sickening for me as well even at the balcony level. What even more sickening is how these last minutes charlies have to tell everyone they come in contact how little they pay:rolleyes:.

We always booked that cruise far out as DH needed to block his calendar and we always wanted the same "S" suite. The only way to be sure to get it was to book a year out.

* I edited my post after you quoted and it is a little different now.

June 13 seven night Alaska on Westerdam:

Inside N - $449 per person

SA - $3299 per person

Prices bottom to top- quite a difference

We see seven night Alaska cruises advertised in Seattle throughout the summer as low as $199 per person. Never see big suite discounts.

We always booked that cruise far out as DH needed to block his calendar and we always wanted the same "S" suite. The only way to be sure to get it was to book a year out.

* I edited my post after you quoted and it is a little different now.

I hear you. I used to have to book my cruises between work deadlines. Not that easy. Now I'm still in the same habit with no hope of work in the near term. If something doesn't happen soon this is going to put a crimp in my cruise plans :D.

June 13 seven night Alaska on Westerdam:

Inside N - $449 per person

SA - $3299 per person

Prices bottom to top- quite a difference

We see seven night Alaska cruises advertised in Seattle throughout the summer as low as $199 per person. Never see big suite discounts.

That still not 10x. That said I can absolutely see it when comparing regular rack rates and hal giveaway prices. It's no secret that hal gouges the loyal bookers. I take a guarantee almost every time so booking early does nothing to sweeten the pot for me.