Has HAL started Something New for Mariners on Embarkation Day?

LAFFNVEGAS

How many people would be interested in a Crows Nest Mariners Reception between 2 and 3 P.M. on embarkation day? Would you go to get a 'free' glass of red, white or sparkling wine? Remember that Life Boat Drill (whatever it is now called) is by 4:00. or so.

Since most of the ships leave by 4 on embarkation day, lifeboat drill is at 3:15.

We're such efficient traveling machines that we can be unpacked, with everything in its place in well under 10 minutes. (And we pack a lot of crap leaving out of Port Everglades.) Unless our luggage is waylaid, we're usually unpacked before we go to the Mariner's Lunch. Like you, DW can't begin vacation until everything is hung, in drawers, etc. It's either inspiring, or scary. :D

Do you haul your own luggage onto the ship?

There is no way we could be unpacked before going to lunch.

Our luggage rarely arrives before 2 or 3 PM.

We're such efficient traveling machines that we can be unpacked, with everything in its place in well under 10 minutes. (And we pack a lot of crap leaving out of Port Everglades.) Unless our luggage is waylaid, we're usually unpacked before we go to the Mariner's Lunch. Like you, DW can't begin vacation until everything is hung, in drawers, etc. It's either inspiring, or scary. :D

For me, speed in unpacking is relative to how much time was spent packing. Like you, I can unpack quite quickly as everything (shirts, shoes, socks, etc, etc) is grouped together in my one suitcase and it's just a matter of transferring to the drawers and closet. My lovely DW, however, packs quite differently.;)

But we do, as has been mentioned, have to wait until the cases are delivered.

Cheers!

Edited by AZNative2000

Just off the Westerdam yesterday. We had no invitation to anything upon embarkation, we even asked at check in. They said they were not having embarkation lunch this cruise.

We did receive an invitation to the Mariners brunch and attended. It was well attended as the dining room was packed. That was the only thing we were invited to and there was nothing given out as we had read there would be.

If someone wants to have a party and invite us, the last thing we would do is complain. As long as there's the option to skip the reception, it seems unfair to get cranky about it. For what it's worth, we've always managed to get our drinks of choice - regardless of the reception. (Moral of the story: Be nice to your bar staff.)

POA1,

I'm with you 110% on both points. It seems that some people are not happy unless they can find something about which to be unhappy!!!

Smooth sailing,

Rod

Just got off the Noordam yesterday and there was no Mariners event on embarkation day. We even missed the dining room lunch as there was 7,000 people trying to get on 3 ships in Vancouver !!! ::eek:

Just off the Westerdam yesterday. We had no invitation to anything upon embarkation, we even asked at check in. They said they were not having embarkation lunch this cruise.

We did receive an invitation to the Mariners brunch and attended. It was well attended as the dining room was packed. That was the only thing we were invited to and there was nothing given out as we had read there would be.

Not unusual in Seattle in early season to have no Mariner lunch. Usually in May in Seattle there are a lot of Travel Agent tours and luncheons on board. If there is a travel agent function you will see a number of cabin doors open with balloons on both sides that are open for agent tours.

Also some charity events on board embarkation day. They seem to taper off thru the summer and by September very few.

Sounds to me like they may be testing opening the MDR up for lunch to all to take some pressure off of the Lido embarkation day (especially if a low number of Mariners on board). Likely offering a glass of wine in the Crows Nest to Mariners to make up for the MDR being open to all.

The mariners reception on embarkation day was listed in the daily program. At check in they told us that the main dining room was open to all.

Serving drinks to folks just before Life Boat Drill might prove to be less than ideal. I can imagine some carrying their unfinished drink with them on deck for Muster. I also can imagine a bit of joviality and the like.

Serving drinks to folks just before Life Boat Drill might prove to be less than ideal. I can imagine some carrying their unfinished drink with them on deck for Muster. I also can imagine a bit of joviality and the like.

Haven't you ever noticed how well the bars do on embarkation day?

Some pax like to get started on their vacation immediately. A complimentary drink at a Mariner Reception at 3 pm isn't going to make a difference.

I have actually seen pax attend the Drill with drinks in hand. Haven't you noticed this?

Sorry you appear to be intent on finding negatives about a possible new, gracious initiative. Most posters seem to be taking this as it is meant: just a nice "extra" for Mariners.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Haven't you ever noticed how well the bars do on embarkation day?

Some pax like to get started on their vacation immediately. A complimentary drink at a Mariner Reception at 3 pm isn't going to make a difference.

I have actually seen pax attend the Drill with drinks in hand. Haven't you noticed this?

Sorry you appear to be intent on finding negatives about a possible new, gracious initiative. Most posters seem to be taking this as it is meant: just a nice "extra" for Mariners.

I definitely see it that way too, I think it is extremely nice. It sort of reminds me how many years ago both NCL and Celebrity handed you a small glass of Sparkling Wine upon boarding. I thought that was a very nice touch. If I drank it or not it was just a nice and made you feel in a festive mood, while I have not heard the details from those that attended yesterday I am sure they enjoyed it. One does not have to stay there for the full hour just go up, have a sip or two of a glass of wine or whatever they are offering. I do think it is a very nice gesture.

How many people would be interested in a Crows Nest Mariners Reception between 2 and 3 P.M. on embarkation day? Would you go to get a 'free' glass of red, white or sparkling wine? Remember that Life Boat Drill (whatever it is now called) is by 4:00. or so.

And if the ship departs @ 4, lifeboat drill would be @ 3, so would the reception be from 1-2 in that case? I'd prefer to see the luncheon remain. Forget a reception. As some have noted, we're busy unpacking, getting settled before we have to show up for the muster.

I definitely see it that way too, I think it is extremely nice. It sort of reminds me how many years ago both NCL and Celebrity handed you a small glass of Sparkling Wine upon boarding. I thought that was a very nice touch. If I drank it or not it was just a nice and made you feel in a festive mood, while I have not heard the details from those that attended yesterday I am sure they enjoyed it. One does not have to stay there for the full hour just go up, have a sip or two of a glass of wine or whatever they are offering. I do think it is a very nice gesture.

Thank you, Lisa.

I hope your friends will give some details about this Reception. I am interested and would like to know if this is a test or if it will be a regular feature on some or all HAL ships/itineraries.

Any new feature of the Mariner program is of interest and I appreciate it that you post what you hear!

And if the ship departs @ 4, lifeboat drill would be @ 3, so would the reception be from 1-2 in that case? I'd prefer to see the luncheon remain. Forget a reception. As some have noted, we're busy unpacking, getting settled before we have to show up for the muster.

This was on an Alaska cruise, the Westerdam yesterday. Sailaway was at 4 and they left right on time. I believe lifeboat drill was at 3:15

I didn't intend to imply that it's not a nice gesture---it is---but getting settled is more of a priority for us than going to a reception.

In 2014, Celebrity still had the free drink as passengers embarked. Yes, I thought it was a nice touch, although some passengers clearly abused it by downing the drink & going back for refill after refill until they were tipsy.

Since we didn't cruise Celebrity this year, I can't speak to the fact if they still have the welcome aboard drink or not.

Looks like the DR lunch will remain.

Any time the DR is closed for lunch on embarkation day (for example, when HAL has a private lunch for TAs), the Lido is even more of a zoo than usual. As has been mentioned: having the DR open to all takes the pressure off the Lido.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Do you haul your own luggage onto the ship?

There is no way we could be unpacked before going to lunch.

Our luggage rarely arrives before 2 or 3 PM.

No, we couldn't possibly carry all our stuff. We use a luggage cart or two just to get from our condo to the cab. We are typically on board early early and are luggage often finds its way to the cabin just a few minutes behind us.

We have crazy ninja packing skills. Granted, "packing" isn't a great super power to have, but that's what we got. ;)

Sorry some of you don't like my opinion about this new feature. I think it's okay to disagree without it being personal. How sad if we all agreed about everything or even worse beat down those who post an opposing opinion. Some of us are more bold than others about posting a contrary view.

I see this Embarkation Day Mariners Reception as an 'empty offer' as it is far from convenient for many. :shrug:

... Sorry you appear to be intent on finding negatives about a possible new, gracious initiative. Most posters seem to be taking this as it is meant: just a nice "extra" for Mariners.

I definitely see it that way too, I think it is extremely nice... I do think it is a very nice gesture.

May I join the club? I agree that this is a very nice gesture by HAL. And just like any other gesture, everyone can choose to accept it or not ... just my opinion ...

Rod

Choices. It's all about choices.

Some of us head to the Lido for lunch after embarking, while others prefer to head to the dining room. Some want to eat right away, while some want to wait until the crowds have thinned. All this has to work around the hours of operation. Some people even prefer to have lunch ashore, then board later!

We all have our little routines when we board. It's a lovely gesture if HAL wants to offer us a little way to change our routine, or choose not to.

I don't have to accept the offer, while still appreciating that it is offered.

Edited by RuthC

Choices. It's all about choices.

Some of us head to the Lido for lunch after embarking, while others prefer to head to the dining room. Some want to eat right away, while some want to wait until the crowds have thinned. All this has to work around the hours of operation. Some people even prefer to have lunch ashore, then board later!

We all have our little routines when we board. It's a lovely gesture if HAL wants to offer us a little way to change our routine, or choose not to.

I don't have to accept the offer, while still appreciating that it is offered.

Nicely explained, Ruth, and you are of course spot on.

I think this is a great addition to the Mariner program, if indeed this is going to be a regular feature.

If you miss the DR lunch, which does happen often if you are flying, you have a back-up plan!

Good for HAL!! I'm happy about this!!

I'm with you. It's a good idea, a thoughtful invitation, and a nice way for Mariners to get acquainted.