Has HAL started Something New for Mariners on Embarkation Day?

LAFFNVEGAS

When we were on the Noordam earlier this month, there was only one person who received the medallion--the nice lady you had lunch with in San Diego. :)

She was told she could invite anyone she wanted to attend, and did get a lot of attention from the Captain and Hotel Director!

I'm glad she got the attention. :) It couldn't happen to a nicer person.:)

Our medallion recipients on our roll call also invited people that were not invited as their guests and there was no problem :)

Very true!

Loyalty programs are rampant these days. Do the cruise lines take them seriously? Or are they just one more marketing gimmick, up there with Explore4 and all the interchangeable promos?

I've heard the same story lately about having too many 4 stars on board. They are pretty good at taking our money but one drink will kill them. I got invited to the vip party on the Veendam and there might have been 25 people there. No invite on the Noordam because there were too many 4 stars. They had the collectors party at 6:30 to 7. I'm assuming to cut down on people going. Before someone tells me I know this isn't really the subject of this thread.

We enjoy going to the medallion ceremoney especially when someone we know is receiving one but is that really part of the Mariner benefits? I think it's more a courtesy extended to medallion holders if there is room?

Doesn't the mariner benefit include the lunch only? So, as long as everyone is invited to the lunch aren't they still getting the benefit?

Don't misunderstand. We like to go to the ceremony. Not sticking up for HAL but I don't think the reception/awards is included in the Mariner benefits?

We enjoy going to the medallion ceremoney especially when someone we know is receiving one but is that really part of the Mariner benefits? I think it's more a courtesy extended to medallion holders if there is room?

Doesn't the mariner benefit include the lunch only? So, as long as everyone is invited to the lunch aren't they still getting the benefit?

Don't misunderstand. We like to go to the ceremony. Not sticking up for HAL but I don't think the reception/awards is included in the Mariner benefits?

I didn't say a single word about them being mariner benefits so why are you quoting me? I'm simply stating what has happened not debating if they should be stated benefits:confused:. If they took away the brunch it would not bother me in the least. Same with the tiles and the medals, especially the tiles.

I've heard the same story lately about having too many 4 stars on board. They are pretty good at taking our money but one drink will kill them. I got invited to the vip party on the Veendam and there might have been 25 people there. No invite on the Noordam because there were too many 4 stars. They had the collectors party at 6:30 to 7. I'm assuming to cut down on people going. Before someone tells me I know this isn't really the subject of this thread.

There are way too many 4 star mariners -- HAL made it too easy for them to get to 4 stars.

Strange -- a couple of years ago we were 5 star Mariners and were not invited to the VIP party on the Noordam. In fact there have been several times when we were not invited.

When HAL started the Collector Cruises a few years ago, there was a cocktail party for those of us staying on. Otherwise, we have never had one since. Many people got a free dinner in either the Pinnacle or the Tamarind (depending on the ship). We finally got a free dinner on our last cruise. Problem -- it had to be the first or last night of the cruise and I had already prepaid for those nights. Had one heck of a time getting out money back.

There are way too many 4 star mariners -- HAL made it too easy for them to get to 4 stars.

Strange -- a couple of years ago we were 5 star Mariners and were not invited to the VIP party on the Noordam. In fact there have been several times when we were not invited.

When HAL started the Collector Cruises a few years ago, there was a cocktail party for those of us staying on. Otherwise, we have never had one since. Many people got a free dinner in either the Pinnacle or the Tamarind (depending on the ship). We finally got a free dinner on our last cruise. Problem -- it had to be the first or last night of the cruise and I had already prepaid for those nights. Had one heck of a time getting out money back.

On princess you only need 150 days to make it to elite. That equates to a 4 star on hal if you can equate it. Hals 4 star does take more time. I don't know about the other lines. Why do you think that this is easy to obtain rather on other lines? I do open dining and eat in the MDR mostly. I rarely run into anyone that is a four star or five. I realize there are a lot on here and if you take very long cruises it's no surprise that there would be.

One of the reasons we enjoy going to the awards ceremony is knowing who the long time cruisers are. This gives us an opportunity to sit with them at the luncheon to compare favorites and give us ideas on where to go next. I feel being loyal to one company for over 200 days deserves an acknowledgment. It doesn't cost HAL mega $$$ to do this.

We asked an officer once why we had an invite to the VIP party. He said "means you spent too much money" and smiled.

We are 3 star, always book a NS. and the last several trips have been either early or late season Alaska. Evidently not a lot of high star Mariner members on these cruises.

We asked an officer once why we had an invite to the VIP party. He said "means you spent too much money" and smiled.

We are 3 star, always book a NS. and the last several trips have been either early or late season Alaska. Evidently not a lot of high star Mariner members on these cruises.

I think that in most cases booking a NS ranks you higher on the list than being a 4 Star. Now, if you have BOTH (or a 5 star) you really rank up there!

I think that in most cases booking a NS ranks you higher on the list than being a 4 Star. Now, if you have BOTH (or a 5 star) you really rank up there!

Yes, I've been told that being in a neptune suite gets you an invite. Being Dutch also seems to do that.

We pack in packing cubes, so it's very easy to unpack quickly.We use an over the door shoe bag for toiletries, meds, etc. and just remove them from the cubes and put them into the shoe bag.

As the years go by, I pack less and less.

As for the reception, I agree with Ruth. It's all about personal choice and what works for some might not work for others. I would certainly hope no glasses make their way to lifeboat drill.

There were so many 5* and up passengers on that cruise that the Explorers Lounge was jam-packed with just them and the awardees. Even gold medallion holders weren't invited up for a group picture with the Captain and Hotel Manager. There were just too many of them.

Since there were a lot of things going on during the day, it would have been difficult to find another venue for the reception.

On the Kobe-Vancouver portion of your cruise there were a lot of sea days, so perhaps there could have been more than one reception, but then how would the presentations be handled?

Hi, Ruth

We have twice experienced no group photo with the HM and Captain when there were a grand total of 4 and 3 gold medallions holders.

Maybe some officers are camera-shy.

The show lounge was fairly busy on that cruise, as there were a couple of lecture series going on during sea days, as well as Shore Excursion and Port Lecturer presentations.

It was a well-used venue.

I am sure it was.

We've had several medallion ceremonies in the Show Lounge. Easier on a Vista ship!

Well, if you read one of my earlier posts, you will note that the Mariner Society apologized profusely for us (5 stars) not being invited to the medallion ceremony on one long cruise last year. They were adamant that all 4 stars and up are invited.

I understand the space problems, but 35 5 stars won't break the bank, will they? In the Show Lounge?

HAL, though it's ships' operations, is going from "gracious" to "do we HAVE to??".

One of the reasons we enjoy going to the awards ceremony is knowing who the long time cruisers are. This gives us an opportunity to sit with them at the luncheon to compare favorites and give us ideas on where to go next. I feel being loyal to one company for over 200 days deserves an acknowledgment. It doesn't cost HAL mega $$$ to do this.

Agree! Have had some our best times talking to high Mariners. What a fun time to talk about fav ports, ships, etc.

Personally, I think the 200 days for 4 stars is a mistake on HAL's part. They could be doing a much better, more gracious job at a higher cut-off.

First time we were invited to a VIP party was on a 35 day cruise that we book through HAL (first time doing that).

I think we were not even a medallion then but close. We weren't and hadn't been filling the coffers at that point, either.

Well, if you read one of my earlier posts, you will note that the Mariner Society apologized profusely for us (5 stars) not being invited to the medallion ceremony on one long cruise last year. They were adamant that all 4 stars and up are invited.

I understand the space problems, but 35 5 stars won't break the bank, will they? In the Show Lounge?

HAL, though it's ships' operations, is going from "gracious" to "do we HAVE to??".

I did read that and I was not trying to be critical at all. Nor do I think it breaks the bank. And, as I said, we enjoy going too. I certainly think if anyone is going it should be 5*.

I just don't think that it is technically a Mariner perk, that's all. So, in essence, I don't think HAL is denying a Mariner benefit if there are too many 4* Mariners and they don't get invited.

Space was limited on the Westerdam as it wasn't in the show lounge. In the Queen's lounge instead. They did do two receptions though. One was for the first sitting and the other was for the medallion ceremony and the second lunch sitting.

I did read that and I was not trying to be critical at all. Nor do I think it breaks the bank. And, as I said, we enjoy going too. I certainly think if anyone is going it should be 5*.

I just don't think that it is technically a Mariner perk, that's all. So, in essence, I don't think HAL is denying a Mariner benefit if there are too many 4* Mariners and they don't get invited.

Space was limited on the Westerdam as it wasn't in the show lounge. In the Queen's lounge instead. They did do two receptions though. One was for the first sitting and the other was for the medallion ceremony and the second lunch sitting.

Thanks for your post, Kazu.

Interesting about it not being held in the Show Room. This is where I part from your good company, I am afraid.

If the ships can manage to squeeze in a time for Bingo, Port Shopping lectures, etc, they can find a slot for 30- 45 minutes for the Medallion Ceremony. I've seen it done many times.

Of course, even then, they have been known not to invite even 5 stars!!

Some old: HAL is frighteningly inconsistent.

Some old: HAL is frighteningly inconsistent.

I like that comment ;)

I honestly expect in the months to come for us to no longer see VIP Parties, Mariner Receptions and even the Captains Toast on the first Formal Night.....just a hunch.

Are medals and pins part of the mariner perks? People have certainly come to expect those.

I like that comment ;)

I honestly expect in the months to come for us to no longer see VIP Parties, Mariner Receptions and even the Captains Toast on the first Formal Night.....just a hunch.

I think you are right on the mark with that. While I like the vip party I really don't care about the rest.

I like that comment ;)

I have spent many, many years in the same industry as you (am now in the behind the scenes area) and I fully agree with you. I suspect that in the not too distant future we may get a better idea of which direction things are heading.

We've seen these situations in the past (airlines come to mind) and the "enhancements" that come from them- like what used to be free coach meals now put on a plate and served as First Class meals. No more Mai Tai Volcanoes or prime rib carts in the aisle.

I like that comment ;)

I think you are right on the mark with that. While I like the vip party I really don't care about the rest.

We may be finding out sooner than we expect. :D

Isn't June 4 the date Carnival Corp is going to make the 'never been done in the industry before' announcement? Maybe that will be a clue where HAL and others are headed?

Isn't June 4 the date Carnival Corp is going to make the 'never been done in the industry before' announcement? Maybe that will be a clue where HAL and others are headed?

Yup, that's the date.

Shh, don't post it. It'll get deleted super fast with no explanation or reason!