Has HAL started Something New for Mariners on Embarkation Day?

LAFFNVEGAS

I have good friends sailing on the Westerdam , actually the same friends we normally cruise with but i just got off the phone with her and she said at check in they gave her an Invitation inviting them to a Mariner's Welcome Back Reception in the Crow's Nest from 2 to 3 today. Thought that was interesting and something I had never heard of.

Interesting..... what about Mariner's Brunch? Wonder if that is eliminated.

A Welcome Reception from 2-3 on Embarkation Day is hardly convenient for the guests.

Many would like to get settled and unpacked especially those with early dinner seatings.

Sounds very nice and of course not all would go.

We didn't have this on the Westerdam when we were on...or if we did, we didn't have enough stars and didn't get the invite ;):p

Interesting to see if his becomes a 'tradition'.

I am guessing that the embarkation luncheon was still in effect?

How many people would be interested in a Crows Nest Mariners Reception between 2 and 3 P.M. on embarkation day? Would you go to get a 'free' glass of red, white or sparkling wine? Remember that Life Boat Drill (whatever it is now called) is by 4:00. or so.

We were on the Oosterdam for 36 days (Collector’s Cruise - 14 day New Zealand- Australia, and 22 day Australia-Vancouver). Just got off on May 10th.

There was the standard Mariner Lunch on embarkation day for each segment. There were also two Mariner Receptions for Mariner Cruise Medallions followed by the Mariner Brunch where you get your tiles.

We did have a couple of Mariner Receptions in the Captain’s Corner of the Crow’s Nest. I believe these were for people on the Collector’s Cruise only.

Just got off the Westerdam today. The Vista dining room was open to all guests for lunch on embarkation day. I think this made it less complicated and everyone was welcome. I'm guessing the reception was scheduled as a little something special for the Mariners. I'm not sure how many attended this, but I thought it was a nice gesture for those that were interested. We opted to settle into our room instead.

Yes my Friends stated the Vista Dining Room and Lido was available for lunch. This could be a Test on the Westerdam to see how well it is received. Plus for Alaska cruises there are a lot less Mariners. Always far more first time cruisers. My friends planned to go and thought it sounded interesting.

How many people would be interested in a Crows Nest Mariners Reception between 2 and 3 P.M. on embarkation day? Would you go to get a 'free' glass of red, white or sparkling wine? Remember that Life Boat Drill (whatever it is now called) is by 4:00. or so.

Judging by the amount of people attending the art auctions ... An awful lot of people would do anything for a free drink of any kind ...

I would not agree with that. We are about to go on our fifth Alaskan cruise. The shorter 7-day Alaskan cruises are probably more popular with working people.

igraf

...Plus for Alaska cruises there are a lot less Mariners. Always far more first time cruisers. ...
Edited by igraf

I would not agree with that. We are about to go on our fifth Alaskan cruise.

igraf

She didn't say it was true of Everyone. There are almost always exceptions.

Hope you have a wonderful 5th cruise to Alaska.

Please tell us about it when you return. :)

Travel Safely.

I think this is a great addition to the Mariner program, if indeed this is going to be a regular feature.

If you miss the DR lunch, which does happen often if you are flying, you have a back-up plan!

Good for HAL!! I'm happy about this!!

I would not agree with that. We are about to go on our fifth Alaskan cruise. The shorter 7-day Alaskan cruises are probably more popular with working people.

igraf

It's our 11th Alaska cruise come Wednesday but I can tell you in the past 7 or 8 there were very few Mariners, and you could count on one hand how many were 4 Star Mariners. Always Far more New Cruisers.

The itinerary repeats well. By renting a car in the port towns we can always find something new to do.

igraf

...Hope you have a wonderful 5th cruise to Alaska.

Please tell us about it when you return. :)

Travel Safely.

Yes my Friends stated the Vista Dining Room and Lido was available for lunch. This could be a Test on the Westerdam to see how well it is received. Plus for Alaska cruises there are a lot less Mariners. Always far more first time cruisers. My friends planned to go and thought it sounded interesting.

Yes, usually way fewer Mariners on the Alaska cruises.

We've been in the DR on Alaska cruises where there were no more than 50 pax total the whole time.

As Lisa says, on the Alaska cruises very few 4 stars and the ships really aren't used very many 5 stars!

Edited by SilvertoGold

I think this is a great addition to the Mariner program, if indeed this is going to be a regular feature.

If you miss the DR lunch, which does happen often if you are flying, you have a back-up plan!

Good for HAL!! I'm happy about this!!

Ditto for me!!!

If someone wants to have a party and invite us, the last thing we would do is complain. As long as there's the option to skip the reception, it seems unfair to get cranky about it. For what it's worth, we've always managed to get our drinks of choice - regardless of the reception. (Moral of the story: Be nice to your bar staff.)

If someone wants to have a party and invite us, the last thing we would do is complain. As long as there's the option to skip the reception, it seems unfair to get cranky about it. For what it's worth, we've always managed to get our drinks of choice - regardless of the reception. (Moral of the story: Be nice to your bar staff.)

Wink,;) Wink ;).......... we always have as well.

DH didn't even have to ask for his drink. It was simply handed to him. :D

When do you who think the party time is fine unpack? I'm a creature of habit and first thing I do as soon as luggage arrives in our room is unpack it all and settle in. I can't relax and enjoy my vacation until my 'work is done'.

I believe you, but I think that this has more to do with the length of cruise rather than the Alaskan itinerary. Most 7-day cruises will have more 1st time cruisers than a 15 or 30-day cruise. I imagine that most 4-star Mariners do not have full time jobs and so would tend to go on the longer cruises.

igraf

It's our 11th Alaska cruise come Wednesday but I can tell you in the past 7 or 8 there were very few Mariners, and you could count on one hand how many were 4 Star Mariners. Always Far more New Cruisers.
Edited by igraf

I believe you, but I think that this has more to do with the length of cruise rather than the Alaskan itinerary. Most 7-day cruises will have more 1st time cruisers than a 15 or 30-day cruise.

I find Alaska to be more repeatable than our other cruise destinations.

igraf

Have you done a HAL Canada/NE itinerary? We did the Boston to Montreal to Boston itinerary summer after summer and never tired of it. That is an extremely repeatable itinerary. We did b-to-b along with many others but certainly most did only 7 days. That is VERY repeatable.

When do you who think the party time is fine unpack? I'm a creature of habit and first thing I do as soon as luggage arrives in our room is unpack it all and settle in. I can't relax and enjoy my vacation until my 'work is done'.

We're such efficient traveling machines that we can be unpacked, with everything in its place in well under 10 minutes. (And we pack a lot of crap leaving out of Port Everglades.) Unless our luggage is waylaid, we're usually unpacked before we go to the Mariner's Lunch. Like you, DW can't begin vacation until everything is hung, in drawers, etc. It's either inspiring, or scary. :D