Changes in itinerary? When would we find out?

ARI421

You would hear of any changes as soon as Carnival made them. This could between now and possibly even after the cruise already embarked from the US. These storms forecast are not set & stone, and Carnival doesn't want to jump the gun early for no reason.

They make money by keeping people out of their cabins, so they will try to do everything in their power to keep the sailing as smooth as possible.

I am sailing Saturday on splendor from Miami and am watching for updates. When we sailed princess, they really failed at updating us. As the TA on the booking for our group, I found out from someone else in our group that had received an email. I NEVER heard a word from them. Now I'm a little nervous, not about any actual changes but being the last in our group to know about it.

Generally Carnival will wait until the last minute to make any changes. They don't want to make changes too early and have the storm change course and then have everyone yell at them. They would rather wait and make sure they cannot do the original itinerary.

If a change is made a few days before embarkation, you'll probably get an email. If it's a last minute decision, you may not find out until after you've boarded the ship. Before booking any excursions independent of the cruise line, make sure the excursion operator offers a full refund in the event of a port cancellation or itinerary change.

Several years ago we sailed the LEgend out of Tampa. And, we got an itinerary change update at the port while checking in. And, many years ago when sailing the Freedom on an 8-day cruise, we were told of an itinerary change on day 2 of the cruise.

So--you just have to be flexible, and know that they will let you know as soon as they are ready to tell you.

CeleBrat

I am sailing Saturday on splendor from Miami and am watching for updates. When we sailed princess, they really failed at updating us. As the TA on the booking for our group, I found out from someone else in our group that had received an email. I NEVER heard a word from them. Now I'm a little nervous, not about any actual changes but being the last in our group to know about it.

I too will be sailing on Splendor this Saturday. I have been watching the Carnival web site for weather alerts. Will continue to watch as well.

We were on a cruise to Nassau last October that was set for a port day the day a hurricane hit Nassau. While boarding it was evident the path the storm was taking. They did not make any announcements until dinner the first night when the captain announced we were swapping our sea days and port day and then heading to Freeport instead of Nassau. We also had a letter in our cabin after dinner. We had calm seas and beautiful weather the entire cruise. Even if they know your itinerary will change, rerouting and finding other ports with room for additional ships may take a little time. They will let you know once everything is finalized.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello everyone, I just joined cruise critic and this is my first post. My husband and I are sailing on the Splendor this Saturday. We have cruised before but never for an 8 day cruise and to these ports. We are also doing the Vow Renewal for our 27th anniversary. Any tips or discussion would be great. I am also worried about flying into Miami on Friday. Hope the airport isn't closed.

According to the latest on Carnival's web site (as of 1:00PM Eastern today, October 4) :

"We are very closely monitoring the storm system and projected path. The forecast track has been shifting which is typical with hurricanes and why it is difficult to make adjustments several days in advance. We will make adjustments to homeport turnaround operations and itineraries as needed to ensure we are not putting our guests, crew and vessels in harm’s way. We will continue to provide updates to our guests and post here as any changes are made . We do not anticipate making any additional changes until Tuesday after 8:00PM."

I would imagine there could well be additional changes coming. Ecstasy is due to arrive in Charleston but with Charleston being right in the middle of the projected path that may change.

I have plans to be on Splendor on Saturday, too. We were going to drive to Miami. I'm keeping up to date with the storm and the Carnival site, but this waiting is getting to me. Mainly because I'm the type that wants a backup plan.

I am sailing on the sunshine out of new York on Saturday. I am assuming we should have no issues going to Canada with hurricane Matthew but if there was an issue when would we hear by?

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

Hi Ariana-I recognized your screen name. We (Bill & Susan from NJ) sailed with you & Trevor on the Breakaway this past 2/28. Our next is 11/6 on the Pride. Hoping the weather holds out for your sailing. Heading North should be OK-fingered crossed for you both. Not sure how I'm going to survive a cruise without 2am chicken wings fix... Wish me luck :)

Enjoy your cruise!