CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

Better to be off the ship no later 10 am, IMO. Most airlines want you at the airport 90 minutes prior to flight time...which is about 11 am in this case. You can never tell how long it will take to get through customs and whether there will be a line of passengers waiting for a taxi at the port.

Honestly I don't know how good the Google maps apps are for the area. The key is getting on the right road coming out of the toll booth and that's pretty easy because it's right straight ahead of you.

Directions from NJ Turnpike Exit 14A into Cape Liberty

Please print out my directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. When you come through the toll plaza there are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS is notoriously bad in this area. After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive. Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

are these directions still good or has anything changed recently due to road construction? Thank you

As far as I know these are still good directions to get to the port entrance. The port construction area is two miles out on the peninsula by the current terminal so the basic way to get into the port should not be affected.

You have a great deal at the Hilton. Keep it and enjoy. The prices can be really crazy. That's why I always ask for the exact dates because the prices are so inconsistent and it's worth checking a variety of hotels. You will have both the train and the PATH option from Newark Penn Station.

Okay, Carol (138east), now that you've helped me with where to stay (reservation made at Hilton Newark Penn Station) and where to park (at the pier during cruise), I'm looking for the easiest drive from the hotel to Port Liberty...I've read your clear directions and the video from the 14A exit of the turnpike, but from Newark Penn Station does it make sense to just go out Market/Ferry St across to Jersey City and drop down 440 from there? Thanks again for your, and others, help.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Okay, Carol (138east), now that you've helped me with where to stay (reservation made at Hilton Newark Penn Station) and where to park (at the pier during cruise), I'm looking for the easiest drive from the hotel to Port Liberty...I've read your clear directions and the video from the 14A exit of the turnpike, but from Newark Penn Station does it make sense to just go out Market/Ferry St across to Jersey City and drop down 440 from there? Thanks again for your, and others, help.

I'd spend the money and go on the Turnpike getting on at Exit 15E south and east to Exit 14A. The Pulaski Skyway eastbound (Route 1) is closed for two years, so the route you are looking at is now both the truck route and the free route to the Holland Tunnel. I was on part of this route several years ago and was wishing I had taken the turnpike. Coming out of Newark I think you want to be on Raymond Blvd - that's what we used to use years ago and I don't think it's changed much.

138East: Has the new garage been built for the Quantum? Do you know if the parking charges have changed? thanks for all your help.

As far as I know the terminal and garage are not finished and no one knows if (or when) they are going to raise the parking rates. I will try to get an update when I sail in three weeks.

I'd spend the money and go on the Turnpike getting on at Exit 15E south and east to Exit 14A. The Pulaski Skyway eastbound (Route 1) is closed for two years, so the route you are looking at is now both the truck route and the free route to the Holland Tunnel. I was on part of this route several years ago and was wishing I had taken the turnpike. Coming out of Newark I think you want to be on Raymond Blvd - that's what we used to use years ago and I don't think it's changed much.

Two years! Guess it's more than a top coat of asphalt.

Thanks for the info, we'll do as you advise.

Where's your next cruise taking you? I see it's coming up really soon.

I'm on the Explorer repo from Cape Liberty to Port Canaveral through the Caribbean for two weeks.

Ooooo...heavenly! Do you write "Live" or post-cruise reviews? Would like to follow.

I definitely won't be doing a live review. I haven't done a post cruise review in a while, but perhaps this last repo cruise for the EX from Cape Liberty will be the exception. I'm sure I will post my impressions of the construction and traffic at Cape Liberty on this forum. I take the cruise bus down from New England the morning of the cruise.

However, I will be on the Quantum on Jan 23 and Radio will be doing a live report for that 10 day cruise.

We always park at the pier at Cape Liberty and have used our credit card for payment...I recently have been reading that they will only accept cash now. Can anyone confirm this change to cash only payment is correct....

Karen

M'y Husband just confirmed he used a credit card last Sunday -- 10/5

I definitely won't be doing a live review. I haven't done a post cruise review in a while, but perhaps this last repo cruise for the EX from Cape Liberty will be the exception. I'm sure I will post my impressions of the construction and traffic at Cape Liberty on this forum. I take the cruise bus down from New England the morning of the cruise.

However, I will be on the Quantum on Jan 23 and Radio will be doing a live report for that 10 day cruise.

Look forward to your Cape Liberty impressions and Quantum "live".

Is a car service going to be the easiest way to get from Cape Liberty to midtown Manhatten for three people? I'm coming off Quantum Dec. 1 and I'm hesitating slightly about the timing of everything.

No one knows how the timing for Quantum disembarkations will work. You should be able to go to the taxi dispatcher and arrange car service transportation or you can prearrange a car service to pick you up at a specific time.

You are arriving on a Monday morning, so I wouldn't be super eager to disembark early. You want to give the am rush hour time to dissipate.

Keep monitoring this board after the Quantum arrives. I'm sure there will be feedback about how the disembarkation process is working. What worries me is that the Quantum has many more passengers and my impression is that many more folks are flying in for these cruises, so the number of folks requiring hired transportation may be significantly greater.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm on the Explorer repo from Cape Liberty to Port Canaveral through the Caribbean for two weeks.

Super itinerary! Have a wonderful time.

Thanks again for all your expert advice and information. You're one that makes Cruise Critic great.

Tina

Hi Meg,

You may remember us from the Explorer....the piano cruise! How are you doing? Carol keeps me posted on our CC Friends!

Friends we met on a Baltic Cruise are sailing on the Eclipse from Southampton on November 9th. They have an overnight in Cape Liberty on November 16-17th. They were under the impression that they could get a subway from Cape Liberty to Manhattan! We have suggested that they take an excursion to Manhattan .... The one that allows them the freedom to plan their own day in the city!

I am wondering if you have any transportation suggestions if they don't want to take the excursion. We were hoping to meet them in Manhattan.

Another idea, we could pick them up in our car on Monday and take them out to lunch somewhere....but where? We are not familiar with NJ! Or should they just take the excursion. They were hoping to go to the theatre on Sunday for a Matinee so Monday would be the day for us to meet them. If you remember we would be driving over from Long Island. Lunch in NJ is not quite the same as a day in NYC!

Thanks,

Diane