Legend Suites

jjs217

My husband and are thinking about doing a "killing time" Transatlantic cruise on the Legend. As it wouldn't be scenic cruising, or port intensive, we would probably take our chances with a GTY ocean view instead of our usual choice of a balcony. As with any GTY, one prepares for the worst and hopes for the best. I'm curious about Suites 100 and 101, because they are shaped so oddly. Has anybody seen or stayed in either of those? Any pictures out there? Thanks.:confused:

at the deck plan. I haven't stayed in either but I'm a laundromat veteran on both the Pride & the Spirit & the laudromat is directly forward of 100 (that's the round dot icon.) Our first trip is upcoming on the Legend but I can only assume the laundry is in the same location...maybe someone else knows otherwise. Across from the laundry is a crew entrance/exit which seems to be in constant usage - i.e. slamming door. I think that due to the curve in the bow, the cabins have a smaller feel also. I know they use those 2 cabins for guest entertainers or bridge instructors if the ship is full. When in a tendered port, you're directly by the anchor chain...which of course wouldn't be a problem on a transoceanic trip. Good luck deciding...you can hardly go wrong anywhere BUT, I'd be cautious of those two.

My husband and are thinking about doing a "killing time" Transatlantic cruise on the Legend. As it wouldn't be scenic cruising, or port intensive, we would probably take our chances with a GTY ocean view instead of our usual choice of a balcony. As with any GTY, one prepares for the worst and hopes for the best. I'm curious about Suites 100 and 101, because they are shaped so oddly. Has anybody seen or stayed in either of those? Any pictures out there? Thanks.:confused:

These suites are for staff, generally the Hotel Director has one of them.

They know that when I am aboard they can't hide:D

A few years ago when we were on the ship with our adult son and daughter, they were in 101. Although we didn't stay in the suite we were in it quite a bit so I can answer some questions.

101 is much larger than the standard cabins. (Our suite 201 was directly above.) The bed(s) are in the squared off section (at the top of the deck plan). This leaves a much larger than usual "living area" in the suite. There are two smaller closets near the entrance (rather than the one large walk-in closet as in the other suites). There's also a small area just outside the closets that can be closed off from the rest of the room so that it can double as a dressing room. My daughter appreciated this feature since she was sharing the cabin with her brother.

The only "off" thing I can remember about the room is the placement of the table in front of the sofa. We can't remember the exact issue, only that the table could not be moved and it wasn't quite right. The suite's window was small and the room was dark compared to our suite 201, but this may be true of all suites on deck 4--I don't know, 101 was the only suite on deck 4 that I was ever inside.

I should add that being that far forward on the ship, you have some noise whenever the anchor is raised or lowered. We didn't find it bothersome, but some others complained about it.

The laundry is just across the hall, so it is very convenient for stepping in to iron an item or checking on clothes in the dryer. I did a lot of hanging out in 101 while doing our laundry!

Thanks to you too jdaa. Now I have an idea how that suite must look. I would imagine the room is darker because of the curve of the bow and the space between the window and the hull of the ship. Great information.

I advise not to stay near the bow of the ship on a TA Crossing! Book midship ~King Neptune can become very angry in the middle of the ocean ~not pleasant staying in a forward suite. I've been aboard many Atlantic Crossings, in fact the TAs are my favorite sailings.

Enjoy!

Martita B

I advise not to stay near the bow of the ship on a TA Crossing! Book midship ~King Neptune can become very angry in the middle of the ocean ~not pleasant staying in a forward suite. I've been aboard many Atlantic Crossings, in fact the TAs are my favorite sailings.

Enjoy!

Martita B

Martita, I am very interested what it is about TAs that make them your favourite sailings. We have never done one. Sorry to be slightly 'off topic'.

We stayed in 103 once and wouldn't go so far forward again. We were next to 101 where a member of staff obviously lived. Their telephone rang every morning at 6.30am as an alarm call and woke us up too.

We also had poor weather. We were in the Caribbean and the movement of the ship was much more pronounced than it was midships. The sea was also hitting our window as the ship went up and down. Not pleasant. I would follow Martita's advice and not risk it on a Transatlantic.

The room was also smaller than the regular shaped ones further along.

Hope this helps.

whilst generally in favour of guarantee suites, especially on the larger ships, personally for a transatlantic crossing I would not risk the (faint) possibility of being given one of the very far forward suites on Legend. We have in the past booked one at the back of A grade, which was perfectly satisfactory.I imagine this would be more expensive than a guarantee, but a TA is one occasion where I would not take the risk.

TAs are VERY relaxing. Often the ship is not full up, so there is more space and staff to go round. No or minimal ports, so no getting up early, no rushing back before sail away, no scrums at breakfast or lunchtime with returning tour parties.

You get into a regular pattern of life on board, at sea. You get to know your fellow passengers. There is a feeling of camaraderie between passengers and crew. It is very peaceful, no planes or vapour trails above. The sky at night is stunning. Someetimes you see whales, or whale spouts, or dolphins. Sunsets are stunning. As you approach land you notice sea birds again. There is a real sense of a voyage or journey, a sense of the vastness of the ocean.

There is LOTS of trivia for those who like it.

Many Pride TransAtlantic Crossings the past years have been sell outs! So many past passengers aboard ~really has seemed like family reunions! :p Lots of Seabourn special TA events plus passengers hosting private parties, small dinners in the card room and cocktail affairs.

My 1st TA Crossing in 2001 we had a total of 96 passengers ~felt akin to a private yacht! That year upon embarking in Ft Laud the Hotel Manager allowed us to REselect suites. Mercy......how times have changed!

Martita B

TAs are VERY relaxing. Often the ship is not full up, so there is more space and staff to go round. No or minimal ports, so no getting up early, no rushing back before sail away, no scrums at breakfast or lunchtime with returning tour parties.

You get into a regular pattern of life on board, at sea. You get to know your fellow passengers. There is a feeling of camaraderie between passengers and crew. It is very peaceful, no planes or vapour trails above. The sky at night is stunning. Someetimes you see whales, or whale spouts, or dolphins. Sunsets are stunning. As you approach land you notice sea birds again. There is a real sense of a voyage or journey, a sense of the vastness of the ocean.

There is LOTS of trivia for those who like it.

Flamin_June, Seabourn should have you on their pay-roll! You have convinced me we should give more thought to taking one. Thank you.

Well said Flamin June. My sentiments exactly but as we have seen a lot of the world and are this time going on a 42 day port intensive Med cruise, we will make it what we want. Staying on board when most of the ship is gone is really relaxing and the crew seems to try hard to please. There are a number of ports it will be fun to get off and walk around, have lunch if we want and then come back. As much as I love seeing the world, I have to have my Seabourn time also.

Well said Flamin June. My sentiments exactly but as we have seen a lot of the world and are this time going on a 42 day port intensive Med cruise, we will make it what we want. Staying on board when most of the ship is gone is really relaxing and the crew seems to try hard to please. There are a number of ports it will be fun to get off and walk around, have lunch if we want and then come back. As much as I love seeing the world, I have to have my Seabourn time also.

Pretty much our sentiments too. TAs are great for Seabourn time - and they are often very reasonably priced.

One of many notable moments was a Rock the Boat night, about halfway across the Big Pond. There we were, a tiny dot floating in a great vastness, some 3,500 m of seawater between us and the sea bed, no other ships or trace of human life in sight, with a band (Joanna and Seabreeze) pumping out some Motown hits from the 60s and passengers dancing and partying around the deck. Truly surreal.

Edited by Flamin_June

Stams, it wasn't the drinking of the tea that was illegal, but possibly the making of it - although on the TA there were no objections to our kettle, which was always in plain view. The tea itself was bottom of the range Lipton's, obtained, with some difficulty, in Lisbon, a city of dedicated coffee drinkers.

Talking of halucinogenic tea and in view of the recent legislation in Washington State, and because Seabourn is based in Seattle, I wonder if recreational use of marijuana is now permissable on board? This would add one or two new dimensions to the smoking debate, though of course the stuff could be served as tea or cakes.

By the way, how was your epic Legend voyage earlier this year? Planning any more?