Difference between Po-Boy, Sub and Hoagy??

JIMDSB2

In my experience, the difference is in the bread.

A proper poorboy is served on hot, crisp French bread, which is widely available in New Orleans.

Makes all the difference in the world.

I agree. The difference is all in the bread. And New Orleans-style French bread isn't available anywhere else in the world from what I have found.

OK so where is a good place to get a Po-Boy in New Orleans

Most people will tell you Johnny's in the French Quarter or Mother's on Poydras.

A website describing all the restaurants in New Orleans is nomenu.com.

For po-boy places in town, click on restaurants by cuisine and then go to the sandwiches list.

There are very few places in New Orleans that have bad po-boys but I always prefer the ones served on heated bread.

A po' boy (also po-boy, po boy, or poor boy) is a traditional sandwich from Louisiana. It almost always consists of meat, usually roast beef, or fried seafood (shrimp, oysters, crawfish or fish). Served on baguette-like New Orleans French bread, known for its crisp crust and fluffy center. Po-boys come dressed with mayo, lettuce, tomato & pickle.

A submarine sandwich, also known as a sub, wedge, hoagie, hero, grinder, baguette, or one of many regional naming variations, is a sandwich that consists of a long roll of Italian or French bread, split widthwise either into two pieces or opened in a "V" on one side, and filled with a variety of meats, cheeses, vegetables, seasonings, and sauces.

The best poorboy joints are in the suburbs, where they have to satisfy local tastes.

Johnny's is pretty good, especially the roast beef. There are some very good places in the CBD (Commerce, Serio's, Wilty's) but they are ususlly closed on weekends.

There is a new place in the 500 block of Bienville called "Mr. Ed's Oyster House." It is a branch of a place by the same name in Bucktown, near Lake Pontchartrain. Excellent sandwiches, and great oysters.

Like most places in the French Quarter, it is a little pricey compared to the suburban places, but worth the money. Deanie's on Iberville does great fried seafood, but the bread they use is a little unusual for a poorboy.

Crusty French bread is the bread used for po-boys. In fact, it is hard for many restaurants in south Louisiana to truly replicate a New Orleans because they don't have access to the French bread used by New Orleans restaurants.

Also, the most popular po-boys are fried oyster, fried shrimp and roast beef in gravy, with lettuce and tomato, pickles, and ketchup and hot sauce on the seafood po-poys, or mayo on the roast beef.

Crusty French bread is the bread used for po-boys. In fact, it is hard for many restaurants in south Louisiana to truly replicate a New Orleans because they don't have access to the French bread used by New Orleans restaurants.

Also, the most popular po-boys are fried oyster, fried shrimp and roast beef in gravy, with lettuce and tomato, pickles, and ketchup and hot sauce on the seafood po-poys, or mayo on the roast beef.

Some places replace the lettuce with shredded green cabbage. I know that's common in Lafayette and New Iberia, and some po-boy shops in New Orleans have made the switch to cabbage.

Dressed is mayo, shredded green leafy vegetable of some sort, and tomato slices. I have always had to ask for pickles, and hot sauce. I do not know any one who puts ketchup on po-boys as a matter of course. (I don't like mayo or lettuce or cabbage, so I always ask for mine with extra pickles only.) But the people behind the counter at touristy spots are really good about explaining the lingo and options.

I agree that ketchup is not used on meat po-boys (with the exception of hamburger) and that fried seafood po-boys do not customarily come with ketchup on them. But I like to put ketchup on some fried seafood po-boys, especially fried catfish po-boys.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Some places replace the lettuce with shredded green cabbage. I know that's common in Lafayette and New Iberia, and some po-boy shops in New Orleans have made the switch to cabbage.

Dressed is mayo, shredded green leafy vegetable of some sort, and tomato slices. I have always had to ask for pickles, and hot sauce. I do not know any one who puts ketchup on po-boys as a matter of course. (I don't like mayo or lettuce or cabbage, so I always ask for mine with extra pickles only.) But the people behind the counter at touristy spots are really good about explaining the lingo and options.

Was going to ask about the mayo. I also don't like mayo, so I was wondering if it was bad form to ask without (or like yours, with extra pickles). I don't want any dirty looks when I buy one of these :)

Was going to ask about the mayo. I also don't like mayo, so I was wondering if it was bad form to ask without (or like yours, with extra pickles). I don't want any dirty looks when I buy one of these :)

You'll have no problem getting a po-boy without mayo. It's a common request, extra pickles are too. If it helps, I'd order it as: "Roast Beef Po-Boy, no mayo, extra pickles." (or whatever kind you want -- fried shrimp and catfish are especially nice with extra pickles.)

If you want everything on your po boy (lettuce, tomato, pickles, mayo) ask for "dressed". ( to change one ingredient, you can say "dressed, no mayo" -or MY NEZ as Cajuns say it- or

dressed, extra pickle" etc)

For a good po-boy at a convenient location, I recommend Johnny's. They are located near Jackson square. Get the roast beef or shrimp.

Edited by simplelife

• 7 months later...

Just got back and I recommend a little place right on the edge of the FQ called Jimmy J's Cafe. We had the fried shrimp and oyster po-boy and it was delicious! I split it with DD with a side of scrumptious red beans and rice. They also serve a local beer on tap that was really good.

ImageUploadedByForums1443595896.825387.jpg.61717b6cdd6b0f96f158361f4dec04d3.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1443595839.127346.jpg.57313bae04b88875ef34310e7f791201.jpg

Edited by trixiegal