French? - or not French??

bazzaw

Sailing to the islands (again!) from Brisbane on Pacific Aria at the end of March. Haven't been on P&O for quite a while ,never on the two "new" ships and also never with the new casual dining arrangements . HOWEVER - have been to the usual places - Noumea, Lifou, Mystery Island and Port Vila. :( Got to find something different to see/do in these places - so have been sniffing around TripAdvisor.) Last time we were in Noumea we walked down to Anse Varta beach - with some misdirections, etc , the total walk was 12 klms. We went via the "fish markets" along the way . They sell other things but I was particularly interested in their fresh fish offerings - and wished I had an apartment in Noumea for a week rather than just a day visit. :)

Perusing the TripAdvisor forums , I came across this unfortunate post - "This weekend morning market lacks everything you would expect of a French market." - and thought of the unfortunate person who posted it. We here in Australia speak English - but we are not "English" - so any fool who comes here expecting to find an "English market" is bound to be disappointed!! If you ever go to Quebec, you will also not find any "French markets" - because the people there are not French, but French speaking Quebecois!!

For those who have been to Noumea many times, what little secrets are you hiding??? Where do you go? What is your favourite coffee shop and/or bakery??

What did they expect? They are in the Pacific for goodness sake :D

Markets are going to be a lot more like Pacific Island ones than something you would find in France even though French is the language spoken. Same with all the shops/department stores etc - they are not the same as Europe or Australia or the US.

On the other hand sometimes the tourist information put out by a country does not help but making statements like 'little France' or "Venice of the East' when patently it's different. Perhaps people are misled if they don't have wide travel experience.

It's been many years since I've been there so my suggestions probably aren't very useful now.

Don't know about the markets. I was shocked to read that someone wants to spend a week in Noumea. Just pulling in alongside the wharf is too long in Noumea as far as I'm concerned.

If Paul Keating can describe Australia as being "the arsehole of the world", then Noumea has to be the "armpit of the South Pacific".

Don't know about the markets. I was shocked to read that someone wants to spend a week in Noumea. Just pulling in alongside the wharf is too long in Noumea as far as I'm concerned.

I spent a week in Noumea back in the 80's, New Caledonia and Vanuatu were the package deal places to go to.

Over the years our attitude has changed when visiting Noumea, our challenge is to find something different to do!! On the list is WW2 Museum, but we have been there on a Sunday lately, Duck Island, the Aquaruim, L'Escapade Island, we have taken a lcoal bus to Kuendu beach.

If we feel like it we have ship day......as we know we will always go back there!

I like to go to Anse wata beach for a snorkel/swim and then lunch at Barcleona (lemon bay) for some Tapas. This is done as a South Pacific version of a Spanish meal done with French flavours which basically means I get the seafood platter and get a great selection of various dishes.

On our last visit we walked to the Maritime Museum of New Caledonia and then took the local bus from a bus stop in front of the museum to the Aquarium des Lagons de Nouméa. The bus timetables are on the web. When you find them they are in French, just open in chrome and you can translate them.

Next was a short walk to the L'Atelier Gourmand at 141 Route de I'Anse Vata for a meat and salad baguette. And of course we could not resist one of their great patisseries. I selected their Lemon meringue pie The trip back to town was again by local bus.

If Paul Keating can describe Australia as being "the arsehole of the world", then Noumea has to be the "armpit of the South Pacific".

A pity you describe it as such. Admittedly it's been quite a few years since we were there but we stayed for about a week and had a wonderful time. Beach days sometimes, visiting the museum, buying food to cook at our apartment, a trip to Amedee etc etc. I'm not sure what you thought the place would be like.

A pity you describe it as such. Admittedly it's been quite a few years since we were there but we stayed for about a week and had a wonderful time. Beach days sometimes, visiting the museum, buying food to cook at our apartment, a trip to Amedee etc etc. I'm not sure what you thought the place would be like.

Been there many times. Always found it to be a dirty, smelly hovel.

Cultural centre Tjibou.... please google it my memory has failed me. Beautiful building, lovely exhibits, fantastic grounds.

Pastry shop and chocolate shop two streets from main wharf, not far from coconut square. Take yellow bus to Lemon tree bay nice restaurants on waterfront. Lots of different things, don't forget to go to top of hill to see your cruise ship.

Perusing the TripAdvisor forums , I came across this unfortunate post - "This weekend morning market lacks everything you would expect of a French market." - and thought of the unfortunate person who posted it. We here in Australia speak English - but we are not "English" - so any fool who comes here expecting to find an "English market" is bound to be disappointed!! If you ever go to Quebec, you will also not find any "French markets" - because the people there are not French, but French speaking Quebecois!!

LOL were they expecting people in stripey tops and berets cycling around selling french breadsticks from baskets ?

I second Gwendy's suggestion of the cultural centre if you havent already been there https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Marie_Tjibaou_Cultural_Centre

I went as part of a half day bus tour where we had just under an hour there and I spent so much time photographing the stunning outside that I then had to really rush through each inside exhibit - I could have easily spent a few more hours there reading and looking at all the displays etc and walking around the grounds was really lovely too.

On our last visit we walked to the Maritime Museum of New Caledonia and then took the local bus from a bus stop in front of the museum to the Aquarium des Lagons de Nouméa. The bus timetables are on the web. When you find them they are in French, just open in chrome and you can translate them.

Next was a short walk to the L'Atelier Gourmand at 141 Route de I'Anse Vata for a meat and salad baguette. And of course we could not resist one of their great patisseries. I selected their Lemon meringue pie The trip back to town was again by local bus.

In the short time since I made my original post - this above is precisely what I had decided to do while in Noumea. A few years ago we were in Tahiti and found one of these boulangerie/patisseries and there stuffed baguettes and cakes/tarts were to die for!! :) This one in Noumea gets a very good write up in TripAdvisor

In the short time since I made my original post - this above is precisely what I had decided to do while in Noumea. A few years ago we were in Tahiti and found one of these boulangerie/patisseries and there stuffed baguettes and cakes/tarts were to die for!! :) This one in Noumea gets a very good write up in TripAdvisor

It is very popular especially as it is relatively close to the shuttle drop off point (larger ships) and the dock for the smaller ones.

We have been back to L'Atelier Gourmand three times and it is one of the highlights of our visit to Noumea. I suggest a visit before 1200 to get a baguette made to order. The place is very popular with the locals, must be near a school. :)