Luggage during missed connection,,where??

alexandra cruiser

I have 2 reservations for flight due to close connection times,,but was wondering WHERE will luggage go if I miss my first flight(after booking them thru at the beginning) and go on second?

Worry if I m NOT ON FLIGHT,will they be taken off?Will I have to collect them and put on next flight(different airline?)

It will be on way home,so not as concerned about arrival time,,just location.Thanks ..:confused:

that I will be switching it over after an international flight,,and going thru customs??

If I see I ll never make the first connection at that time,can I switch luggage then? Won t have boarding pass,just ticket for second airline.Will that be a problem? Lots of "what ifs",I know.sorry.:confused:

Let's try to get some parameters. When you say "I have 2 reservations for flight due to close connection times,", just what do you mean? Are you saying that you have bought two tickets? That you plan to switch tickets mid-trip? That you want to have your bags on the first flight and then have the option as to which second flight you take?

IIRC, there was a LOT of what-ifs being discussed earlier by you. It will be FAR easier for anyone to give you accurate information if you post dates, times, flights, airlines, cities and just what you have in the way of issued tickets.

Having given the details, you could then tell us the exact scenario you are proposing. Which flight's are you "missing"? What are you flying? Why are you changing mid-stream?

The devil is in the details.....and so it the accurate answer.

Have an AA flight from Chicago to Orlando at 10 30am that I may miss since connecting flight from Asiana leaves only 1 hr.30 min.So to be on safe side I bought an extra ticket on Delta leaving at 12noon.I had discussed this before on another thread,but was just wondering about luggage.

The "what ifs" concern whether to check all way thru and HOPE I make the tight connection.Or switch to Delta at customs in Chicago if it looks I may NOT make it.

Was worried they might pull my luggage off if I wasn t on the plane for security reasons.Any opinions?:confused:

Have an AA flight from Chicago to Orlando at 10 30am that I may miss since connecting flight from Asiana leaves only 1 hr.30 min.So to be on safe side I bought an extra ticket on Delta leaving at 12noon.I had discussed this before on another thread,but was just wondering about luggage.

The "what ifs" concern whether to check all way thru and HOPE I make the tight connection.Or switch to Delta at customs in Chicago if it looks I may NOT make it.

Was worried they might pull my luggage off if I wasn t on the plane for security reasons.Any opinions?:confused:

You don't have an option if you are arriving on an Asiana flight in ORD connecting to a domestic flight.

You MUST collect your luggage, walk it through Customs, then recheck it at the transit desk. EVERY flight coming into the USA REQUIRES Customs inspection at first point of entry into the USA. So there is NO WAY that your luggage will be checked through to Orlando without you touching it and physically getting it through Customs.

You will just have to gauge your time when you get through immigration, retrieve your luggage, get through Customs, give your luggage to the transit desk, get to the terminal for your domestic flight AND go through SECURITY.

Plan on the Delta flight.

The luggage, if checked such that it is checked through, will contine on as it is ticketed. It will be waiting for you in the airline office when you arrive, just not on the baggage carousel. They do it all the time, no worries.

?????

Ummm luggage going on a flight without the passenger is usually not allowed.

Have we learnt nothing about terrorism attacks and unaccompanied luggage. You might want to look it up...there have been several flights brought down by bombs in luggage checked in by passengers that never got on.

I would have thought you don't have your boarding pass scanned for boarding your luggage is taken off as a safety measure to start with.

I would have thought you don't have your boarding pass scanned for boarding your luggage is taken off as a safety measure to start with.

This depends on the country and the security protocols in place at the time.

I'm not sure that domestic US has ever fully implemented 100% baggage reconciliation.

In any event, even that does not mean 100% baggage travelling with passenger, because we all know that there are instances when bags fly earlier or later than the passenger. The key is that the passenger must not be able to choose to fly on a different aircraft from their baggage.

We, and our luggage have traveled independently several times. With the bar codes on luggage tags now, we've been told where it was, when it would arrive and on what flight. Then, it would be delivered to our house and they even told us at approx what time. Luggage has always been delivered within a 1/2 hr of when they said it would be.

after customs to be on safe side.Just don t want to "assume" my luggage will go on IF I try to make the first flight and DON T.

From most comments, looks like it ll be the second anyway.

Even called AA and they said it was a "legal connection",but they had moved it up by half hr.AFTER reservation made.Would have switched but no AA direct to Orlando until 3pm and cheaper to just TRY to make first and pay extra $100 ea.for Delta.to be on safe side.

THanks all for opinions.:)

after customs to be on safe side.Just don t want to "assume" my luggage will go on IF I try to make the first flight and DON T.

From most comments, looks like it ll be the second anyway.

Even called AA and they said it was a "legal connection",but they had moved it up by half hr.AFTER reservation made.Would have switched but no AA direct to Orlando until 3pm and cheaper to just TRY to make first and pay extra $100 ea.for Delta.to be on safe side.

THanks all for opinions.:)

Why are you setting yourself up for failure and disappointment???

What are you going to "double check"?? I don't understand your questions or thought process at all. Maybe it is the terminology you are using.

THROUGH CHECKED luggage is just that-YOU never touch it until final destination.

But you MUST touch your luggage in this case. So the only thing that I can possibly imagine you are asking or thinking about and let me know if I am wrong-you are flying Asiana to ORD, then AA to Orlando. And you believe Asiana will check you in and tag your luggage all the way to Orlando on the AA flight.

Asiana is NOT an AA partner. Asiana is a Star Alliance Partner. So will Asiana even tag your luggage with AA tags to Orlando? Will they even issue boarding passes for the US domestic flight? I highly doubt both of these things.

So as far as I can see (and someone can point out where I am wrong), you are in NO different position with the AA ticket than with the Delta ticket.

You will either have to check in ONLINE from someplace, then use the transit desk to tag and drop off your luggage OR possibly use the transit desk to check in both yourself and your luggage (IF they are NOT swamped, they will sometimes do it for you no matter what airline you are flying-you just have to go to the CORRECT transit desk (Delta or AA). OR grab your luggage, make your way to the correct terminal for your onward flight and check in at a kiosk and check your luggage.

Any way you look at it, you will most likely have to change terminals AND you will DEFINITELY have to clear security.

I personally wouldn't even try to make the AA flight. I just have a feeling it will be a hugely frustrating experience. And since you would then be flying Delta if you missed the AA flight AND if your luggage was possibly pulled off the AA flight because YOU missed the flight, AA would have NO WAY to know how to get your luggage to you without a lot of phone calls. Your luggage would actually still be in Chicago.

?????

Have we learnt nothing about terrorism attacks and unaccompanied luggage. You might want to look it up...there have been several flights brought down by bombs in luggage checked in by passengers that never got on.

You would have thought wrong.

I'm not sure that domestic US has ever fully implemented 100% baggage reconciliation.

In any event, even that does not mean 100% baggage travelling with passenger, because we all know that there are instances when bags fly earlier or later than the passenger. The key is that the passenger must not be able to choose to fly on a different aircraft from their baggage.

Globaliser makes a good point. A couple of times I've been onboard and for whatever reason a boarded pax did not fly on the flight (removed pre-flight, VDB, whatever) and as the pax theoretically had some control over the situation, we've had to wait while that person's luggage was offloaded.

Meanwhile, I've had multiple flights on which my luggage didn't make it and came in on a later flight, and I've had multiple flights with a long layover where my luggage actually went ahead of me and was waiting in the airport baggage office at my final destination. Maybe these incidents occurred due to a mistake, or maybe it was because an earlier flight was low on luggage/cargo and the baggage people saw that the next flight (mine) was full and decided to proactively move some luggage on ahead of schedule. Either way, I've flown separate from my luggage many times, but as Globaliser said, it was never a "planned" incident so I think that's the difference.

If you were ticketed on one itinerary with Asiana and American, and you missed the AA flight due to a short (but legal) connection, AA would put you on a later flight for no charge (subject to availability). Generally I find the opposite of what you suggest is true - I often make the connecting flight on a short connection but my luggage doesn't. When I am flying home, I actually prefer that - no need to drag my luggage from the baggage claim all the way home. It gets delivered to my doorstep by the airline.

I personally wouldn't even try to make the AA flight. I just have a feeling it will be a hugely frustrating experience. And since you would then be flying Delta if you missed the AA flight AND if your luggage was possibly pulled off the AA flight because YOU missed the flight, AA would have NO WAY to know how to get your luggage to you without a lot of phone calls. Your luggage would actually still be in Chicago.

I have no problem with the AA connection - you might or might not miss it (if you do, see my comment above). But I totally agree with greatam that you are really setting yourself up for major failure by possibly trying to use a second ticket from ORD to MCO. Then AA won't deliver your bag to MCO (since you didn't fly them) and Delta has no responsibility for it either, since you didn't check it in with them. Probably means hiring some sort of cargo service (most likely AA's cargo department) to get your bag from ORD to MCO (which is WAY more expensive than any checked luggage fee the airlines charge).

It seems I ll just have to make a decision after customs whether to try for AA flight or just go with Delta and put luggage on that one. Was wondering about that possibility of having luggage left at ORD because I didnt take an AA flight.

WOrse case scenario,would have to pay to have it shipped if I make wrong choice.Thank God its on way home and nothing in it will be that important(like keys).Know it would be cheaper and less hassle to sit around for later AA flight,but time is money and WANT to get home at 3 not 7.

Thanks for answering all the "what ifs".We only fly twice a yr. and never had this come up before.;)

It seems I ll just have to make a decision after customs whether to try for AA flight or just go with Delta and put luggage on that one. Was wondering about that possibility of having luggage left at ORD because I didnt take an AA flight.

WOrse case scenario,would have to pay to have it shipped if I make wrong choice.Thank God its on way home and nothing in it will be that important(like keys).Know it would be cheaper and less hassle to sit around for later AA flight,but time is money and WANT to get home at 3 not 7.

Thanks for answering all the "what ifs".We only fly twice a yr. and never had this come up before.;)

Time may be money but in your worst case scenario, your time will have to be worth about $100 per hour to cover the cost of shipping your suitcases home. Two suitcases weighing 50 pounds each shipped via air cargo or even FedEx (and then you would have to find someone to get the suitcases to FedEx) from ORD to Orlando will cost in excess of $400.

I am in the international shipping business. Even if we were to ship it with our generous AA cargo discounts (we ship A LOT of freight worldwide on AA), it would cost $294.60. AND you would have to have an account with us and be able to pick up your suitcases at either OUR agent or the AA cargo office. Spot market, one time shipper-$400 would be on the low side.

Don't even THINK about getting on the AA flight. You are just stressing yourself out for something that probably won't happen. Just plan on the Delta flight. Check in online. Then you can clear Customs and walk straight to the Delta transit desk and check your luggage. Most likely change terminals, clear security and go home.

A couple of things: I'm curious- How did you get this Asiana/AA ticket? Or is it two tickets-one for the international flight, one for the domestic? It could be two separate tickets even if you purchased the ticket from one of the Big 3 travel agencies-Expedia, Travelocity or Orbitz.

And IF this is two tickets, it doesn't matter whether you take the Delta or AA flight, you WILL have to pay domestic baggage charges. So be prepared. And just plan on the Delta flight. It will take a LOT of stress off your situation. Why ruin your fantastic Asia vacation returning home fried and frazzled just trying to make an early plane??? Good luck!!!

A couple of things: I'm curious- How did you get this Asiana/AA ticket? Or is it two tickets-one for the international flight, one for the domestic? It could be two separate tickets even if you purchased the ticket from one of the Big 3 travel agencies-Expedia, Travelocity or Orbitz.

All discussed in OP's previous thread, which IMO, is very confusing. I'm still not exactly sure what happened, but think it was through online TA (maybe CheapoAir?), two original tickets and then she booked the third DL ticket:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1726235

All discussed in OP's previous thread, which IMO, is very confusing. I'm still not exactly sure what happened, but think it was through online TA (maybe CheapoAir?), two original tickets and then she booked the third DL ticket:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1726235

For a couple of times in the years I have been posting on this forum, you, me and frugaltravel actually AGREE.

This person created a TOTAL nightmare for themselves for something that was supposed to be a fantastic vacation in Asia (I posted in the Asia forum when the OP asked for information I had to impart)

It actually appears that they booked consolidator tickets patched together from whatever agency-who knows. But again, LOOKING FOR THE CHEAPEST PRICE and NOT realizing that there are SEVERE restrictions on some of the CHEAP tickets and a lot of caveats, including airlines who DO NOT work together is beyond a lot of people's comprehension. PRICE, PRICE, PRICE seems to be the PREVAILING thought process. Asiana and AA have NO CONNECTION and put the OP in a BIND.

So the THROUGH CHECKED BAGGAGE question asked is MOOT for more than one reason (CUSTOMS and NON inter-related airlines).

For the OP

Don't even THINK about getting on the AA flight. DON'T STRESS, Don't even waste your time trying to make the flight. Just count the money lost as a learning experience.

You already purchased a separate Delta ticket. JUST PLAN ON THAT. As someone who has flown 147,684 miles in 2012 and am STILL on my way home to PHX (just flew from Santiago and am currently in my office in NYC), PLEASE. PLEASE, PLEASE take advantage of everyone on this forum's experience and just plan on the DELTA flight.

Chalk up that CHEAPO flight (and you probably could have gotten REALLY close to the same price with a little "creative" thinking) to inexperience.

I hope you enjoyed Asia. China SUCKS BIG TIME in my opinion. They cheat, they steal, they are VERY, VERY corrupt, but no one sees that as a tourist.

Due to my business, I am VERY partial to Vietnam/Cambodia/Malaysia, some parts of the Middle East and Northern Africa to "break out of the mold" and hit the BIG TIME.

NEXT TIME you want to book an "exotic" trip, please either look at itasoftware.com OR come to this forum for advice BEFORE you book your trip.

Enjoy!!!

• 4 weeks later...

To all the kind posters, had no problems at all.The returning flight on Asiana(which is a wonderful airline) was early, so I was able to use my original AA ticket and get to gate in plenty of time. Had 2hrs. for connection and all went well,with few lines at immigration,luggage,or security. AA flights on time and everything worked out very well,along with having a great river cruise.:)

Archived