Global Entry & PreCheck

Palmetto Lady

Have any of you frequent flyers joined the Global Entry program? What about PreCheck? We are members of Global Entry, but are wondering about how to be approved for PreCheck. I know that right now, the only airlines participating in PreCheck are American and Delta. Also the number of airports where it is used is being expanded in the near future. With Global Entry, coming back to the US is much easier. It would be great if we didn't have to take off our shoes when leaving it.

Have any of you frequent flyers joined the Global Entry program? What about PreCheck? We are members of Global Entry, but are wondering about how to be approved for PreCheck. I know that right now, the only airlines participating in PreCheck are American and Delta. Also the number of airports where it is used is being expanded in the near future. With Global Entry, coming back to the US is much easier. It would be great if we didn't have to take off our shoes when leaving it.

if Global Entry is anything like Nexus, it's a very invasive procedure to get accredited. Fingerprints, retina scan, full background checks and interview with CBP (in the case of Nexus, both US and Canada).

Have any of you frequent flyers joined the Global Entry program? What about PreCheck? We are members of Global Entry, but are wondering about how to be approved for PreCheck.

I have a Global Entry card. I believe that if you have a GE card, you are automatically qualified for pre-check. Pre-check isn't available yet at the airports where I've checked in so I haven't had a chance to try it.

if Global Entry is anything like Nexus, it's a very invasive procedure to get accredited. Fingerprints, retina scan, full background checks and interview with CBP (in the case of Nexus, both US and Canada).

Global entry procedure includes an application, background check, and fingerprints. I honestly don't recall a retina scan but I may be forgetting that. As for the "interview," I've had fast food cashiers ask me more and deeper questions that I was asked at my GE interview. In fact, the only real question that I recall being asked was if I had plans to travel internationally. Um, yeah, that's why I'm applying! Other than that the interview consisted solely of getting the photo, fingerprints, etc. taken are of, so it really wasn't what I'd call an interview, per se.

For GlobalEntry

Fingerprints - Yes

Retina scan - No

Interview - Yes but like waterbug123 said, I've been asked more invasive questions by clerks at the supermarket. Most of the time during the "interview" is spent waiting for the system to process. The 20 minute face to face was about 1 minute for greetings, 4 minutes for questions about my past travel, 7 minutes of chatting related to football/baseball/hockey, 3 minutes to do a hands on demo.

Here is an experience from last week and I'll leave others to judge whether GE is worth it. Landed at JFK T8 along with 5 other international widebodies. From the time we hit the GE kiosk, declared food items, quick paperwork check, picked up our luggage, exited customs, and did a luggage recheck, we spent 10 minutes total. Once back in the terminal. my friend and I entered the Precheck line and was out the the other side in 30 seconds. No kidding. 30 seconds.

• 11 months later...

Confirm info of Waterbug123. Just completed global entry interview this morning. Got there early to allow time to park and find place to wait. Stood in line until appointment time. At appointment time was brought in and shown brief video lasting about five minutes. As there were two officers and four of us at given appointment, I waited about 10 minutes before I was called. Officer looked at passport and drivers license, took picture, fingerprints, chatted a bit with me about real estate upon learning that I was a realtor. Waited an additional five minutes for my husband's interview to complete, since he was called after me, walked back to the car. Total time in parking garage 50 minutes.

Once you get your Global Entry card, You're now authorized to use the TSA pre-check security line (if your airline is a participating member)

Make sure you go to your airlines FF account and edit your profile to include your GE member number.

Side Note: Since this is a cruise related board, the Global Entry card does not help with the return from a cruise. Would be nice though.

I waited far, far too long to do Global Entry despite my many, many international trips each year. But, I am finally doing it and have my interview this Friday morning at O'Hare. I've done a lot of reading on the interview, and as mentioned before, it requires fingerprints and some not-so-tough questioning. But, it can take several weeks to get initially approved, and a long time to find an interview that works with your schedule, especially if you're like me and don't live anywhere near an interview center (closest to my house is a 6.5 hour drive, each way).

Many airlines beyond AA and DL do Pre-Check. I have no status whatsoever with United, for example, but am allowed to do United pre-check on the 2-3 times a year I fly them because I am a base level frequent flier and requested it through TSA. Pre-check is glorious, but has ticked me off before - the first several times I tried to use it, I was only allowed to once (at LAS)...the other few times, I was "randomly selected" to go through regular security, which was annoying as heck.

Can someone provide more information and details on both, including costs and how often you need to pay again and be re-screened?

We just took a trip with 15 flights and at least at one airport people who had been prescreened could go ahead of everyone else for immigration. We were on Star Alliance airlines so have to recall which airport. We flew through Frankfurt, Munich, Istanbul, Nairobi, Kilimanjaro, ADD, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan... (Lufthansa. Turkish Airways, Ethiopian Airlines, Egypt Air)

Later this year we will fly into Dubai and out and into Mumbai and out of Singapore (Emirates - from JFK - and Jet Airways and Jet Connect from Mumbai), and next year will fly into Sydney and out of Auckland (Qantas and likely Virgin Australia), and later into and out of Santiago and out of Quito (most likely LAN).

We were fingerprinted leaving Nairobi and again entering Tanzania. They said they got the technology from the US. We have never been fingerprinted at an airport before.

Does this work better if you typically use the same airlines?

Edited by Jade13

Can someone provide more information and details on both, including costs and how often you need to pay again and be re-screened?

We just took a trip with 15 flights and at least at one airport people who had been prescreened could go ahead of everyone else for immigration. We were on Star Alliance airlines so have to recall which airport. We flew through Frankfurt, Munich, Istanbul, Nairobi, Kilimanjaro, ADD, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan... (Lufthansa. Turkish Airways, Ethiopian Airlines, Egypt Air)

Later this year we will fly into Dubai and out and into Mumbai and out of Singapore (Emirates - from JFK - and Jet Airways and Jet Connect from Mumbai), and next year will fly into Sydney and out of Auckland (Qantas and likely Virgin Australia), and later into and out of Santiago and out of Quito (most likely LAN).

We were fingerprinted leaving Nairobi and again entering Tanzania. They said they got the technology from the US. We have never been fingerprinted at an airport before.

They may have purchased the physical technology from the US, but that doesn't mean that US clearances (such as Global Entry) are valid there. Generally, Global Entry isn't valid anywhere outside the US, with VERY few exceptions. I know New Zealand is one, and perhaps the only one (?), where US Global Entry members can use technology to avoid the line.

Cost for Global Entry is $100 and is good for five years.

It is a US-based program, so it wouldn't have helped you at all as you flew from Frankfurt to Munich to Istanbul and so forth. It gives you expedited service through immigration and customs upon return to the US. It also allows you to use the PreCheck line at select US airports when going through security. It used to be only for security for domestic flights, but they just announced that they are going to allow PreCheck for international departures as well, although I don't recall the start date.

If you have GE, it doesn't really matter which airlines you fly other than the fact that it varies by airline and by airport as to where PreCheck is available at departure. For using GE upon return, it doesn't matter.

Keep in mind that for PreCheck, there is still a random-ness, whereby GE travelers and other FF's app'd for PreCheck will still randomly be denied using the PreCheck line and have to go through the full security line, although most airports are set up to allow you to "cut" the regular line when you are denied PreCheck.

Fingerprinting is a way for gov'ts to screen who is coming into their country.

The US does digital fingerprinting of non-citizens when entering the US.

Saw this on the video flying into JFK two weeks ago.

While the interview for GE is relatively painless the process is extensive. After submitting your application you are scrutinized through all databases. Some folks are not approved.

DD loves the GE program.

We do not have it but two weeks ago it took us only 10 minutes to be processed thru JFK customs.

Fingerprinting is a way for gov'ts to screen who is coming into their country.

The US does digital fingerprinting of non-citizens when entering the US.

Saw this on the video flying into JFK two weeks ago.

We do not have it but two weeks ago it took us only 10 minutes to be processed thru JFK customs.

Not ALL.. Canadians are not fingerprinted in any way - at least, I haven't been. As for the time to be processed... We've never been more than 2 or 3 minutes to be processed (once we get to the Officer of course). Standing in line waiting to be processed is another thing!!

Edited by toberman

Not ALL.. Canadians are not fingerprinted in any way - at least, I haven't been. As for the time to be processed... We've never been more than 2 or 3 minutes to be processed (once we get to the Officer of course). Standing in line waiting to be processed is another thing!!

Canadians are different (for many reasons ;)). I believe you all are allowed in to the US citizen line at immigration, right?

Having GE only allows you to be included in the Pre-Check "lottery." It still is a random process at times. And, if you are flying internationally on ANY of your flight legs, you are not eligible for Pre-Check. Still, I'd rather be included in the lottery than having to go through the rat maze at TSA. Plus, people who go through Pre-Check are typically more seasoned travelers and are already prepared before they get to the belt, instead of the occasional family who takes a lot of time to get everything out of their bags, shoes, off, belts off. And, another plus of Pre-Check is that is is just the WTMD, not the nude-o-scope or the radiation emitter...

GE is definitely worth it if you travel internationally. I used it today at my home airport. There were maybe 6 of use who had GE on a totally full 767. We were through the whole thing before the first couple were through Immigration, let alone Customs.

That is no longer the case. TSA just made the announcement.

See my entry above yours. I went to another one of my sites to get caught up on what happened while I was away. When I left for my trip on May 1, I had to go through the cattle line at TSA. I knew I would, so I went with the flow. First time since I got my GE that I didn't get to go through PreCheck. At least now, I have a chance to win the PreCheck lottery on all my flights, not just domestic-only...

For the fingerprint thing, a lot of it is tit-for-tat. The US started fingerprinting visitors from certain countries. In retaliation, those countries started requiring fingerprints of US citizens when visiting. I remember it was a big thing in Brazil. It's visitors from the visa-waiver countries (most Western European countries and Canada for example) that don't have to do the fingerprints. I also had to have my fingerprints done when I entered Kenya at the Nairobi airport. If you haven't been to someplace that the US has imposed fingerprint requirements, you probably won't be asked for your fingerprints (if you are a us citizen).

• 6 months later...
I have a Global Entry card. I believe that if you have a GE card, you are automatically qualified for pre-check. Pre-check isn't available yet at the airports where I've checked in so I haven't had a chance to try it.

Global entry procedure includes an application, background check, and fingerprints. I honestly don't recall a retina scan but I may be forgetting that. As for the "interview," I've had fast food cashiers ask me more and deeper questions that I was asked at my GE interview. In fact, the only real question that I recall being asked was if I had plans to travel internationally. Um, yeah, that's why I'm applying! Other than that the interview consisted solely of getting the photo, fingerprints, etc. taken are of, so it really wasn't what I'd call an interview, per se.

My husband and I have both joined Global entry. We confirmed the number with the airline we were traveling to enable the Pre-check to appear on our air boarding pass. It is wonderful. Short lines, no taking off shoes and taking out computers. It has been wonderful so far. However, though I have been told it extends to ports, so far, no go.

• 2 months later...

Just to confirm, the Global Entry status doesn't help with coming back through Customs at the cruise terminal during disembarkation? i.e., there isn't a special GE line? My husband and I are strongly considering applying for the TSA precheck program, but I wasn't sure if the GE program would do us much good.

Just to confirm, the Global Entry status doesn't help with coming back through Customs at the cruise terminal during disembarkation? i.e., there isn't a special GE line? My husband and I are strongly considering applying for the TSA precheck program, but I wasn't sure if the GE program would do us much good.

Global Entry is one program ($100 for five years) and TSA Pre Check is another ($85, I think also for 5 years).

I haven't heard anything new about GE for arriving cruise ship passengers.

I am aware that they are 2 different programs - I just wanted clarification as to whether or not the GE would benefit returning cruise passengers. Having said that, I thought I had read on these boards that the GE program includes the benefits of the TSA precheck program. My boss was just approved for the GE program and he is under the impression that it will include all of the TSA precheck benefits as well. We'll find out on his next flight.

I am aware that they are 2 different programs - I just wanted clarification as to whether or not the GE would benefit returning cruise passengers. Having said that, I thought I had read on these boards that the GE program includes the benefits of the TSA precheck program. My boss was just approved for the GE program and he is under the impression that it will include all of the TSA precheck benefits as well. We'll find out on his next flight.

Having GE will give him the benefits of the TSA PreCheck program. Now, be aware that it is not a guarantee that you get the PreCheck line every time you go through the dog-and-pony show - it just puts in the lottery for the chance of getting picked. The GE part gives the ability to use the GE kiosks at airports for now at Immingration & Customs, and has some benefits when re-entering the US at land ports. Nothing for re-entering via sea, yet...

make sure names match between what you have on your Global Entry ID and what you have on your airline ticket reservation. A slight mismatch could mean you would never get that "PreCheck" on your boarding pass.

FWIW, I've had very high success rates in getting the PreCheck lanes. I don't have GE, but I was nominated by American Airlines due to my status.

At this time, Global entry isn't available at all local airports, but has been at all international airports I've been through this year. To confirm, there is no benefit at present at cruise terminals, but it may be coming. I usually travel United and they have a way to link the GE to your Frequent flier account.