Global Entry & PreCheck

Palmetto Lady

Does anyone know the current wait time for Global Entry for processing your application?

On a recent report over on FlyerTalk, someone reported they applied online on August 29 and received their conditional approval on September 1. They had their interview September 30, and were advised they'd have their card in about a week. However, the card is only for land border crossings IIRC. Once approved after the interview, your status is essentially updated immediately since GE is tied to your passport number.

The scheduling of the interview is the variable. You do that online. I would recommend scheduling the earliest time available, then keep checking for last minute cancellations and snag one of those. That's what I did.

DH and I have debating doing Pre-check or GE for the last couple of months. I fly enough to want it, particularly after getting stuck in line last January. Of course, the nearest interview location for Pre-Check is 100 miles away, which means a day off work. I'm trying to see if I can make that work, while saving my vacation days frantically for cruises.

For the small fee difference, we'd prefer to apply for GE, for the once or twice in the next five years we'll use it, particularly if they ever start offering GE lanes at cruise ports. Unfortunately, there is not a GE interview location in the state. I believe the closest is Chicago, 7 hours away, and we do not have plans to be there any time soon.

We will, however, be visiting the in-laws outside Las Vegas over the holidays. I've called and left a message at the number listed to find out if they will be open for interviews on Dec 23 or 26th. Does anyone know if they close for the week? No telling if they will call back.

We will, however, be visiting the in-laws outside Las Vegas over the holidays. I've called and left a message at the number listed to find out if they will be open for interviews on Dec 23 or 26th. Does anyone know if they close for the week? No telling if they will call back.

If I recall correctly I was flying the week after Christmas when I did my interview (during a connection at ATL), probably the 26th or 27th and I was able to schedule it no problem.

We just recently obtained our GE cards. We were approved within a couple days after completing the online application, but had to wait a month for the interview. We had a 4.5 hour drive to Charlotte for our interview.

The interview only took 10 to 15 minutes. We were asked a few questions ( have we robbed any banks recently 😳, etc.), fingerprinted and our photos were taken. We received our GE cards four days later. We were also given a demonstration on how to use the kiosks at the airport.

On a recent report over on FlyerTalk, someone reported they applied online on August 29 and received their conditional approval on September 1. They had their interview September 30, and were advised they'd have their card in about a week. However, the card is only for land border crossings IIRC. Once approved after the interview, your status is essentially updated immediately since GE is tied to your passport number.

The scheduling of the interview is the variable. You do that online. I would recommend scheduling the earliest time available, then keep checking for last minute cancellations and snag one of those. That's what I did.

Thanks for responding. I did the online application and received the approval 9:10 am this morning. I was able to schedule my interview tomorrow at 12:30. I am stunned that anything in Government is that efficient!

Thanks for responding. I did the online application and received the approval 9:10 am this morning. I was able to schedule my interview tomorrow at 12:30. I am stunned that anything in Government is that efficient!

Congrats! The interview is fairly straightforward, as others have commented. The officer will ask you a few questions, and then take your fingerprints.

We travel internationally once or twice a year, and thinks it's a valuable benefit. And getting Pre-Check is an added bonus. :D

Edited by RJ2002

We just recently obtained our GE cards. We were approved within a couple days after completing the online application, but had to wait a month for the interview. We had a 4.5 hour drive to Charlotte for our interview.

The interview only took 10 to 15 minutes. We were asked a few questions ( have we robbed any banks recently [emoji15], etc.), fingerprinted and our photos were taken. We received our GE cards four days later. We were also given a demonstration on how to use the kiosks at the airport.

The only thing I was asked is "Do you still work for xxx?"

I was in and out in 5 minutes at DFW. It was the end of the guys shift so that could be why. I never did get a demonstration - had to figure it out on my own a week later when I landed at LAX from Melbourne.

The only thing I was asked is "Do you still work for xxx?"

I was in and out in 5 minutes at DFW. It was the end of the guys shift so that could be why. I never did get a demonstration - had to figure it out on my own a week later when I landed at LAX from Melbourne.

I was asked if I was still retired and did I still live at the address on the application. Agent only asked for my passport but no other ID. I was in and out so fast I didn't exceed the minimum 15 minute parking charge. Mrs. K has applied and has a scheduled interview here in a few weeks.

When I got my GE, the closest place for an interview was Las Vegas. I decided to make it a "weekend" and mixed GE with play. I scheduled my flight to arrive in LV close to my interview time so I didn't have to take taxis twice. The interview was, like others have said, short. I did have some interesting visas/stamps in my passport, so the agent did spend a few minutes talking to me about my travels, mostly for the tourist attractions that she always wanted to visit. She didn't ask to see any of the other documentation I brought with me. I got to see the quickie film on how to use GE, and I was outta there. I made enough winnings at the craps table to pay for the trip!!!

So, don't limit yourself to a location - see which ones have the fastest interview times available, and try to make it a mini-vacation!!!

I am one of the first during the trial period. My GE expired last year. Despite what it says on the web site -- they did require you to appear for another interview for renewal. Only good thing was did not have to watch the video so I was the first in and out.

The other item is some of your information may change during the 5 year period. Passport number and Drivers license expiration date.

Passport can be changed on-line. Drivers license will have to be done at a GE office. However if it is just a new expiration date, they did mine over the phone.

I am one of the first during the trial period. My GE expired last year. Despite what it says on the web site -- they did require you to appear for another interview for renewal. Only good thing was did not have to watch the video so I was the first in and out.

The other item is some of your information may change during the 5 year period. Passport number and Drivers license expiration date.

Passport can be changed on-line. Drivers license will have to be done at a GE office. However if it is just a new expiration date, they did mine over the phone.

Thanks for that info. It sounds as though for my needs, TSA Pre-check is sufficient. Since I can get that only 100 miles away, I might as well go with it. GE isn't necessary, and logistically difficult, so while I'm willing to spend the extra $15, I guess I'll skip it. Maybe in a few years it will be easier on those of us in "fly - over country".

They made you renew in Person???? crap! I live hours from any GE office, would need to fly from my small rural town to Portland or SFO..... Really!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes they asked the usual questions and they updated the finger prints.

Had to schedule it in DC when I was there for a meeting as the Orlando office did not have appointments for over 2 months.

I was so excited this summer to find out Global Entry office opened at our little airport. Applied online and a few days later had our approvals( hardest part of the application was remembering which countries we visited in the last five years --- turns out it was 42). We made an appointment for three days later -- interviews took less than five minutes( plus the time for finger prints and photos). Got approval and cards were mailed a week later.We used GE in Houston last Friday when we returned from our nearly month long Seabourn cruise and it was like magic! No waiting for a kiosk, easy to use machine( except we did not know our pics were being taken and I had my hand covering part of my face and DH had his hat on-- guy at the desk as we exited was nice enough to let it go.) From there we bypassed the long customs line and waited behind two others to hand in our receipt. We were through the whole process in under 15 minutes. Well worth the cost and effort!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had to present my new passport to CPB at LAX when I renewed it (the passport). I had input the number online, but they still wanted to see it and enter something into their system. Perhaps because I have NEXUS as well as GE.

Edited by critterchick

I had to present my new passport to CPB at LAX when I renewed it (the passport). I had input the number online, but they still wanted to see it and enter something into their system. Perhaps because I have NEXUS as well as GE.

I also had to present my new passport to get it updated........I'm Canadian but also have a NEXUS card as well Global Entry benefits (technically we're not Global Entry members, but are allowed to use it). They told me that updating the number online updated my administration profile, but would not be enough to use the new passport more than once. (She said the first use with a new passport, they usually let you use it that day, but say - and enforce - that it must be updated before you can use it again.)

It might be a NEXUS thing, though.

I also had to present my new passport to get it updated........I'm Canadian but also have a NEXUS card as well Global Entry benefits (technically we're not Global Entry members, but are allowed to use it). They told me that updating the number online updated my administration profile, but would not be enough to use the new passport more than once. (She said the first use with a new passport, they usually let you use it that day, but say - and enforce - that it must be updated before you can use it again.)

It might be a NEXUS thing, though.

When I renewed my passport, I just updated the number in my Global Entry account online. I have flown internationally twice since then; no problems, no need to do anything else.