Princess Formal Night

RedHeadTexan

Walt and I are cruising Princess for the first time in November. We haven't participated in formal night for a few cruises, so I am thinking we will do it on this cruise. I have plenty of gowns and cocktail dresses to choose from, but I do have a question regarding Walt. Princess states: Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men. Walt has a beautiful light beige (almost a cream color) summer weight suit. Is that acceptable on Princess? We are driving to port, so we can pack the tux if necessary. Just thinking he will be more comfortable in the Caribbean in the summer weight suit. Thanks for the help! :)

Lisa

I don't think they really are that strict TBH. Bf wore a linen shirt with sleeves rolled up and a vest, no tie or jacket and we were fine. Though he did have nice slacks and shoes on. They say Princess is one of the last mass market lines that have formal night, but it's not really THAT formal. I saw a very small amount of tuxes, I don't remember seeing any gowns, but many cocktail dresses and nice pants/sparkly tops.

I don't think they really are that strict TBH. Bf wore a linen shirt with sleeves rolled up and a vest, no tie or jacket and we were fine. Though he did have nice slacks and shoes on. They say Princess is one of the last mass market lines that have formal night, but it's not really THAT formal. I saw a very small amount of tuxes, I don't remember seeing any gowns, but many cocktail dresses and nice pants/sparkly tops.

Thank you. Walt was happy last night when I told him that he could wear the Summer Suit. Then he said, "well I could just tux up." At least there are months for him to decide. If he goes tux, then I go gown. If he goes suit, then I go cocktail dress. Thank goodness I have lots to pick from. :)

Lisa

Walt and I are cruising Princess for the first time in November. We haven't participated in formal night for a few cruises, so I am thinking we will do it on this cruise. I have plenty of gowns and cocktail dresses to choose from, but I do have a question regarding Walt. Princess states: Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men. Walt has a beautiful light beige (almost a cream color) summer weight suit. Is that acceptable on Princess? We are driving to port, so we can pack the tux if necessary. Just thinking he will be more comfortable in the Caribbean in the summer weight suit. Thanks for the help! :)

Lisa

Since most passengers totally ignore the guidelines cruise lines such as princess put forward, you will find a mix. But I was just wondering what part of Tuxedo or Dark suit you did not understand. A beige suit would be fine for luncheon but never for a real formal evening.

Since most passengers totally ignore the guidelines cruise lines such as princess put forward, you will find a mix.

And that is exactly why Walt's beige suit will be perfectly acceptable. I saw plenty on Princess without a tux, a dark suit, or even a sports coat on formal night.

But I was just wondering what part of Tuxedo or Dark suit you did not understand.

Whoa.

A beige suit would be fine for luncheon but never for a real formal evening.

Sure, in a very strict formal atmosphere but, other than Cunard, there is no real formal evening on any of the lines.

. Though he did have nice slacks and shoes on.

"Thank G-- for small favors"

They say Princess is one of the last mass market lines that have formal night, but it's not really THAT formal.

Reminds one of being "slightly" pregnant.

:rolleyes:

You must be one of those who look down at people who don't wear tuxes or ball gowns?

Thanks for the nice responses, I really appreciate them. Based on the feedback I am getting in regards to Anytime Dining being a cluster on Princess, I decided that we will simply do Specialty or the Buffet for the entire cruise. Since specialty and buffet don't participate in formal night, this is a non-issue.

As for the other comment that was a little, oh how do I say this nicely? Well, I can't say anything nice, so I will not say anything at all. Bless your heart.

Lisa

DH hasn't taken a suit since our first cruise 10 years ago. Dress shirt & tie is sufficient any night.

Anytime dining was fine on Princess--we just didn't like how close the 2 tops were & we really missed the personalized service from traditional dining. If you can arrive a bit before or after peak hours (I recommend before), it is no big deal.

One cruise 4 of us had anytime dining. We loved our waiter the 1st night so just asked the head waiter to make us a standing reservation with this waiter.

We were not impressed with Speciality dining on Princess...perhaps it has improved over the last few years. We always felt the food in the MDR was great.

:rolleyes:

You must be one of those who look down at people who don't wear tuxes or ball gowns?

Ball gowns go with white tie not tuxedos. And while I do not look down on those who care to ignore the word formal evening, I find it does take away from my enjoyment as I do not float in a bubble that excludes all around me as so many people must if they state what others wear or do does not affect their evening. That amounts to saying the conductor conducted a wonderful performance even though six of the horn section were playing a different tune. It either works in total or it does not work at all. I find a fine evening calls for a total atmosphere of elegance not just here and there.

Ball gowns go with white tie not tuxedos. And while I do not look down on those who care to ignore the word formal evening, I find it does take away from my enjoyment as I do not float in a bubble that excludes all around me as so many people must if they state what others wear or do does not affect their evening. That amounts to saying the conductor conducted a wonderful performance even though six of the horn section were playing a different tune. It either works in total or it does not work at all. I find a fine evening calls for a total atmosphere of elegance not just here and there.

Come out of your bubble please. The mass market cruise lines do not market the entire evening as "pretend you are on the Titanic in the First Class section" anymore. The dress suggestion are merely for the MDR nowadays. I do feel sorry for those who feel their cruises are ruined when they choose a mass market line and find that they are in the minority in dressing in "formal" wear. It sounds like a rather shallow, hollow, lifestyle to have to have people dress to one person's taste to be happy.

I chuckle at people who cling to the TWO WORDS formal evening as what used to exist in the golden era of cruising when there were class distinctions and refuse to acknowledge the march of time and customs. Even the Amish where I grew up acknowledge the march of time and adapt without forsaking their longstanding beliefs…

One who enjoys freeform, fusion jazz ;-)

Edited by slidergirl

Might I pose a societal question -

Downton Abbey has proven to be an extremely popular show both in the UK and here in the US. Is it popular because most of the viewers like to watch it to feel good about themselves NOT having to enjoy such luxury? Or do they watch it because they really would like to live in that fashion? Realizing they most likely will not, is that why they then call out as out of step or snobbish, those who would try to maintain at least a modicum of such elegance even if it is simply a full evening of formality on a cruise ship?

Just wondering where the majority of minds live.

Downton Abbey has proven to be an extremely popular show both in the UK and here in the US. Is it popular because most of the viewers like to watch it to feel good about themselves NOT having to enjoy such luxury? Or do they watch it because they really would like to live in that fashion? Realizing they most likely will not, is that why they then call out as out of step or snobbish, those who would try to maintain at least a modicum of such elegance even if it is simply a full evening of formality on a cruise ship?

You DO know that Downton Abbey was set in pre-WW1 England??? It is a historical show. I've never seen it, but I did see the excellent Christmas parody done of it featuring George Clooney.

Did you know that the most popular TV show in the world is NCIS??? I've seen it in the US, Germany, Italy… It features a lead character who still gets his Marine buzz cut at the same old barber shop and buys his clothes at Sears? It also has the pretentious immature braggart who buys designer suits (Ermenegildo Zenga - rolls off the tongue) who, when not at work, dresses in his jeans and Ohio State sweatshirts…

Also, a very popular show is Orange is the New Black - a prison show. Don't see too many women wanting to trade in their LBTD for dayglo Orange…

Most people I know do not want to live in a glorified TV-induced past, but want to live in the present.

I'd love to have a Canada Goose parka like they offered in the gifting lounge at Sundance and worn by all the "beautiful people" while there, but I'll save my thousands and settle for a perfectly nice Patagonia parka. I'd love to have a pair of the bespoke (yes, they called them bespoke) Foilski skis and poles that I ogled at the Rand Luxury Lounge that I was able to attend, but I'll save the $10,000 and keep my Vokls…

Gotta be a troll, but this is good-tasting bait!!

Edited by slidergirl

You DO know that Downton Abbey was set in pre-WW1 England??? It is a historical show. I've never seen it, but I did see the excellent Christmas parody done of it featuring George Clooney.

Did you know that the most popular TV show in the world is NCIS??? I've seen it in the US, Germany, Italy… It features a lead character who still gets his Marine buzz cut at the same old barber shop and buys his clothes at Sears? It also has the pretentious immature braggart who buys designer suits (Ermenegildo Zenga - rolls off the tongue) who, when not at work, dresses in his jeans and Ohio State sweatshirts…

Also, a very popular show is Orange is the New Black - a prison show. Don't see too many women wanting to trade in their LBTD for dayglo Orange…

Most people I know do not want to live in a glorified TV-induced past, but want to live in the present.

I'd love to have a Canada Goose parka like they offered in the gifting lounge at Sundance and worn by all the "beautiful people" while there, but I'll save my thousands and settle for a perfectly nice Patagonia parka. I'd love to have a pair of the bespoke (yes, they called them bespoke) Foilski skis and poles that I ogled at the Rand Luxury Lounge that I was able to attend, but I'll save the $10,000 and keep my Vokls…

Gotta be a troll, but this is good-tasting bait!!

Never took you for a troll but then again . In as much as you have never seen Downton Abbey and seem drawn to the seamier side of life shows, I guess you are not the person to answer my question. But thanks for making the effort.

Anyone with some experience in the better side of life care to take a crack at the answer? If not I shall slip away and leave the questions of attire alone.

Never took you for a troll but then again . In as much as you have never seen Downton Abbey and seem drawn to the seamier side of life shows, I guess you are not the person to answer my question. But thanks for making the effort.

Anyone with some experience in the better side of life care to take a crack at the answer? If not I shall slip away and leave the questions of attire alone.

"Better side of life"?????

Dining at Le Bernadin

Dining at L' Orangerie when it was around

Dining at Valentinos

Dining at Jean Georges

Dining at French Laundry

Private tour and tasting at Grgich Hills with Mike Grgich

Staying at the St. Regis New York City

Staying at the St. Regis Monarch Beach

Staying at the Rome Cavalieri

Staying at the Four Seasons Lanai

Staying at the Mauna Kea

Spending a winter week in St. Moritz, complete with tickets to the polo-on-snow matches

a Kenyan Safari

a Nile cruise on a 65-passenger luxury riverboat with Abercrombie & Kent

2nd to the front row seats at the Broadway show "A Steady Rain" (a limited-run show with Daniel Craig and Hugh Jackman)

Singing with the Robert Shaw Chorale

Flying Business Class when I go TATL

Yeah, I'd like to know what the better side of life is like :rolleyes:

And, I wasn't referring to myself as the troll…

I watch Downton Abbey. I suspect it is extremely popular because more than anything people love a good story. I enjoy it, but I have no desire whatsoever to pretend I'm living in a time when women wore corsets, rode side-saddle, and couldn't vote.

I think a great many people in my age range (early 50s) and younger enjoy luxury, but of a different sort. We spend our money on excellent dining (ship MDRs and indeed most restaurants aboard a cruise ship don't count), great travel experiences, and items that make our everyday lives comfortable but not ostentatiously so.

I would never dress in a way that was inappropriate on a cruise or any other setting. But I don't go all out -- it doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.

Lisa, As being regulars on Princess, I hope you enjoy your first cruise with them greatly! My dh always brought a dark suit. I think for the Caribbean, his beige suit is fine! We are mostly anytime diners and we've never had a complaint. If you request a table for 2, the wait might be longer than if you eat at a shared table. On a seven day cruise there are 2 formal nights and we have opted out a few times and just go to buffet and do our own thing. Just enjoy!

Edited by Princessmich