Currency exchange needed for Cozumel?

bucknwanda

You will find that in many places, especially those near the dock area, prices will be posted in both Pesos and U.S. dollars. If you're booking an excursion on line through an independent company, pay for it with your credit card. Then you won't have to worry about a monetary exchange.

Always use this for updated information. Know what the value is in the country you are visiting and if your are getting value for your US dollars.

While on Roatan Honduras, I was offered a 20 limpora antique coin for $5 US. Hummm. At that time one limpora was worth $0.05.

If I had purchased it, brought it to bank???? If they would take it???? I would receive $1.00 US. And how soon would the Government be overturned and what would happen in Honduras ?????

Gives me an edge when dealing with a vendor, cab driver, whatever.

Just a thought. http://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/

Use Pesos. You get a much better deal and it shows a certain amount of respect.

Thats what we did in Cabo last year.

In Cabo/PV/Mazatlan last week most stores were giving 16-1. Some were giving 13-1. The Cambios were giving 15.5-1. Walmart in PV was giving 16.55-1. Paid in dollars, got pesos back. Mazatlan taxis were quoting fares in dollars.

Dollar is very strong right now.

We use dollars in tourist areas or in Walmart/super markets. We use pesos in smaller, more local places like the restaurants and stalls in the Mazatlan mercado.

My last comment to you, as it appears you'd argue with a stump, but I've lived near Mexico all of my life, so I think I know better than someone across the pond what the Mexicans like. :D

I would guess that living near Texas and living in it is very different. I am close to Ireland and Scotland but make no claim to what they think.

I have been to many countries (inc Mexico) who have charged in dollars in order to get more moolah. Our meal should have come to $40 when we were in Cabo but we paid around 550 pesos. Similarly I bought a necklace for 100 pesos that had a $10 price tag on without a word of haggling. I did not go to any big Walmart stores so cannot comment on their trading.

What I am saying is that there is difference between the love of a particular currency and general love of money that you may confuse. Anyone would love more money for their goods.Theres a reason places charge in dollars and its not because they think its an amazing currency. Many economic articles read like these as just a few examples:

http://maphappy.org/2014/10/dont-pay-in-u-s-dollars-abroad/

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/la-tr-spot-20141116-story.html

I am not trying to argue with anyone (shock) but I think there is something quite crass about stating other countries love your currency and its a better choice. One of the fabulous things about travel is the cultural differences and that includes their coin.

We have always used dollars in Mexico and see absolutely no need to exchange money and then have to deal with having left over. And saving it for a future trip makes no sense.

They welcome the USA dollar and the dollar is very strong right now.

Keith