If you live in the Galvestone area...

Juligan

If you live in the Galvestone area, can you please tell me if I would be able to find shorts and swimsuits there in the winter? I know I won't be able to up here.

Now I know it seems like the simple solution would be to buy them now while they are available, but I have a challenge with that. You see DH and I have been losing weight. Since January, he's lost 45 and I've lost 53. Right now I have no earthly idea what size we will be in come December. I could probably buy them online but I need to try things on.

Can anybody help?

TIA

First, congratulations on the great weight loss.

We've lived in Houston for 18 years, and believe it or not, they're bringing out the sweaters for fall and winter. So NO you won't be doing summer shopping down here in December. The major sporting goods stores will have shorts (like running shorts and soccer shorts) and a limited number of swimsuits, but I'd advise looking now where you live and getting as close as you can. I'm not even sure you'd have much luck online. Some stores let you order online and return to a local store, but finding summer clothes in October or November might be a challenge.

Good luck and keep on losing!

Between the shops on The Strand in Galveston and the shops on The Seawall, you should be able to find summer clothing and swimsuits. The selection may be a bit limited but, Galveston is a tourist city and the shops are aware that people cruise all year long. If I were you I would look now for some "shapeless" summer dresses and then shop more when you get to Galveston. Check this link.

http://www.galveston.com/shopping/shopping_submit.asp?chkclothing=clothing&chkwomensclothing=womensclothing&txtSearch=&butSearch.x=26&butSearch.y=9&butSearch=search

I have personally been to several of these shops and ALL they sell is beachwear. They are also open all year long. You should also be able to find things in your ports of call, especially Mexico. Congratulations on your new healthy life and enjoy your cruise!!!:)

Pam

Galveston is a tourist city and the shops are aware that people cruise all year long. Check this link.

http://www.galveston.com/shopping/shopping_submit.asp?chkclothing=clothing&chkwomensclothing=womensclothing&txtSearch=&butSearch.x=26&butSearch.y=9&butSearch=search

I have personally been to several of these shops and ALL they sell is beachwear. They are also open all year long. You should also be able to find things in your ports of call, especially Mexico. Congratulations on your new healthy life and enjoy your cruise!!!:)

Pam

I agree with you Pam.There are shops on the Strand that carry that kind of thing all year just for cruise passengers.

Welcome to CC Pam,I see that you are from our "neck of the woods" .

I've never looked for swimwear on the ship but I'm sure some of the more seasoned cruisers here can tell you if they sell them. I do know you can find some nice summer clothes onboard. You can always buy stuff at the ports you are visiting also.

Your weight loss is awesome! But slow down a little. I think I'm finding every pound y'all are losing! :eek:

Your weight loss is awesome! But slow down a little. I think I'm finding every pound y'all are losing! :eek:

I'm sorry you're finding what I'm losing, but I'd rather not slow down if you don't mind. :p I just wish I could predict my size in 5 months. I would really hate to have to pay top dollar for something on the ship or from a resort wear store, especially since I probably won't be able to wear it again after the cruise. One, because it will be too cold at home and two, when it is warm enough next year I hope it will be too big.

Thank you all for your help and good wishes. Only 100#s more to go :o

If you live in the Galvestone area, can you please tell me if I would be able to find shorts and swimsuits there in the winter? I know I won't be able to up here.

Now I know it seems like the simple solution would be to buy them now while they are available, but I have a challenge with that. You see DH and I have been losing weight. Since January, he's lost 45 and I've lost 53. Right now I have no earthly idea what size we will be in come December. I could probably buy them online but I need to try things on.

Can anybody help?

TIA

Will you be driving down for the cruise? If so, I would highly recommend a stop at the Dillard's outletin Arlington, TX as you drive through Dallas. It isn't too far out of the way. They have rows and rows of both men's and women's swimwear in the winter. And the best part is they are very much marked down. I go every December before we cruise and I get Nautica/Polo/RL for $3 or $4 when they are originally $40+.

I agree with an earlier poster that Academy on Seawall in Galveston carries swimwear all year. If you are flying, that will be your best bet.

We do get enough warm weather in winter here that I've worn shorts every month of year, every year. People swim in their outdoor pools 12 months of the year if the pool is heated (for an un-heated pool, the swimming season is more like early March - early November). Most major department and sports stores in the Houston area do carry things like shorts and swimwear year-round, athough the selection is of course more limited in winter.

Do a Google search of "Galveston beachwear" and you will find some major beachwear chain stores that I'm sure are open year-round (you can call now to confirm.

I would wait and buy it online or even on ebay for last minute cruising in the winter. I didnt know what size swimsuit I was, and found 3 new suits from the same seller in size 10, 12 and 14, who combined shipping for less than one suit would have cost me here in Texas during the summer in malls.

My size seems to vary too :(

I would wait and buy it online or even on ebay for last minute cruising in the winter. I didnt know what size swimsuit I was, and found 3 new suits from the same seller in size 10, 12 and 14, who combined shipping for less than one suit would have cost me here in Texas during the summer in malls.

My size seems to vary too :(

Great plan!

We cruised out of Galveston in January. Spent the Saturday before the cruise shopping there, and found LOTS of stuff. Wal-mart even still had bathing suits out. And for what its worth, I have found stuff on-line all year and havent had any problems finding what I wanted. Good luck!!!

• 1 month later...

110105_emYA45_prv.gif

The posts concerning Juligan's fantastic weight loss have been moved to their own thread titled Weight Watchers Chat. It is now located on the Floataway Lounge at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=841158.

Hope this is satisfactory since it was the best I could do with all the off-topic posts without removing them entirely from the boards.

Kat 110105_emYA44_prv.gif

We do get enough warm weather in winter here that I've worn shorts every month of year, every year. People swim in their outdoor pools 12 months of the year if the pool is heated (for an un-heated pool, the swimming season is more like early March - early November). Most major department and sports stores in the Houston area do carry things like shorts and swimwear year-round, athough the selection is of course more limited in winter.

Do a Google search of "Galveston beachwear" and you will find some major beachwear chain stores that I'm sure are open year-round (you can call now to confirm.

Same here. We swim in Jan. and Feb. (unheated). I've worn shorts probably every single day here for 25 years ( sometimes just in the house though). I've been most disappointed that we cannot use our fireplace in November (I always host Thanksgiving) because it's just been too freaking hot outside for the past few years. The last thing we need is the fireplace going when it's 85 degrees outside. To the OP, you'll be able to find swimwear, beachwear in Galveston any time of the year. Just do a Google search as posted here.

When I was shopping two years ago in Galveston, I found very few options for shorts. Wal-Mart had nothing unless you were a junior and a 3 or 5. I did find a couple pair at Academy, but there wasn't much selection there either. I did have a few pair with me already so I wasn't in dire need.

Another thought: cut off and hem some of your pants that you're wearing at that size (a month or weeks before you go). After all, you will still be losing weight and wouldn't be able to wear those pants that much longer anyway.....

Archived