New MAGIC Bands are coming to RCCL

skyking

I just found instructions on how to make your own shielding device to make sure they cannot collect your data:

tinfoilhat.jpg.76c8aede1ae4e7b7bcddb37130c91ad1.jpg

[by the way, everything I see says the new cards will be RFID cards not the current mag strip cards -- so they should function the same way as the bracelets -- just a different way to carry the chip around]

I like the option of having a bracelet instead of carrying my seapass. They can track me all over the ship if they want. They'll be bored. :D

I would take it off in port, mostly so I don't scream tourist. Although, I'm sure most locals have no problem picking out tourists, bracelets or not!

Here is what Royal Caribbean's version will look like:

wow-band-bg.jpg

Does anyone know what information will be on the outside of the wristband?

The see pass has Sail date, Ship, Dining room, Seating time & table #, Folio#, room # w/o deck, and C & A status. I do see the Muster station in the photo.

I already have a collection of sea pass cards, and I had a horrible experience with the wrist band at Disney. We got to our room, deep in the heart of Port Orleans Riverside only to discover that we couldn't get into our room (after dragging luggage and a sleeping child for at least two blocks-God forbid they have luggage trollies like all the other hotels) at 12:30 at night. Called the front desk who said they'd contact technology. Still weren't working the next morning. As we were getting ready to leave to try to book a room somewhere else to stay the night (front desk no help at all, by phone and too far to walk to), the four year old woke up and we took a chance on her wrist band - it worked. Got us into the park and fast track we had signed up for, but still needs some work (to open the door!)

Call me old-fashioned, but after that experience, I want a key for my room. Yes, I know they can fail, but I feel it is easier to just run me a new key than fooling around with a hot, sweaty plastic bracelet. (for the record 4/5 bands did not work)\

Hope it goes smoother for Royal. Hate to get back to the ship and be denied entrance because the "technology" on the band went wrong.

They can calculate your average speed at any time. All they need is the distance traveled and the amount of time. Divide it out and you have the miles per hour. All the state would have to do is authorize the troopers to do it and they would make a pot of cash instantly.

Saw this on Quantum site. Will roll out with that ship. And there is a nominal fee.

Ding, Ding...Apparently, the true meaning of "Smart Ship" is that RCL has now figured out how to extract revenue from passengers who just want to get into and out of their stateroom. It won't be long before your wrist band is linked to the crew's wristbands, so that anytime any of the crew does anything for a passenger, money exchanges hands (or in this case wrists) :eek:

I want a key for my room. Yes, I know they can fail, but I feel it is easier to just run me a new key than fooling around with a hot, sweaty plastic bracelet. (for the record 4/5 bands did not work)

Hope it goes smoother for Royal. Hate to get back to the ship and be denied entrance because the "technology" on the band went wrong.

**SCRATCHING MY HEAD FURIOUSLY**

You do know the key cards we've been using for the past couple of decades are "technology" as well, right? You do recognize that? So you're down on technology, so you can use technology?

Twenty something years ago, someone just like you said the exactly same thing about having a metal key on a key ring, right? But, at least they were talking about something entirely different than what they used to have.

The Florida version is called SunPass (there is also an Orlando version called E-Pass and one down in SW FL called Lee-Way, both work seamlessly with SunPass) that we use.

Someone mentioned that.

They said the same thing about the intro of "Easy Pass" when introduced. The authorities will know if you speed when going from one location to another--hogwash. My concern is the tan line on my wrist. LOL

Seriously! If they can just track anyone at any time for any reason... how do we have any criminals left on the road? No criminals use toll transponders?

We have hit & run accidents on our toll roads all the time. They aren't instantly busted. We have all sorts of criminals on the loose... if this is the secret way to track everyone, why aren't the jails full of people caught by toll transponders?

The Seapass will still be available and if you want the wristband it will be available for a "nominal charge"

It is not included. Wonder what this nominal charge will be.

This info was direct from RCI's website.

The cost is $2 per bracelet

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The Florida version is called SunPass (there is also an Orlando version called E-Pass and one down in SW FL called Lee-Way, both work seamlessly with SunPass) that we use.

Someone mentioned that.

When you check your account, you will see a list of the times and the toll booths as well as the date it was used (at least you do in Illinois). They have all the information they need to figure it out.

Ask a divorce lawyer if they use the records sometimes to track where people have gone.

Seriously! If they can just track anyone at any time for any reason... how do we have any criminals left on the road? No criminals use toll transponders?

We have hit & run accidents on our toll roads all the time. They aren't instantly busted. We have all sorts of criminals on the loose... if this is the secret way to track everyone, why aren't the jails full of people caught by toll transponders?

The transponder is only tracked as it goes through the reader at the booth.

Not true. There are receivers mounted periodically along the toll roads in between the toll plaza's - usually very near the iris cameras that also monitor the toll roads.

ABSOLUTELY INCORRECT.

This is not true at all. It isn't even true that they are only on the toll roads themselves. They are on the roads that connect to the toll roads.

You only get charged through the booth. They have sensors all over the place.

All of this could be boiled down to the term Big Data. Any successful company uses data to try to improve efficiency, lower costs and improve service. It's may not be about tracking where you are specifically, but what service people are using and when so they can predict what and when to offer it.

When it gets to the point that they 'selling' me specifically on something I didn't ask for, that's when it gets annoying for me.

In the end, it should lower the cruiselines costs though.

Who says you have to put in on the wrist. Maybe you carry it on your lanyard.

I can just imagine the threads about that idea

Now who wouldn't want to wear one of those hanging around their neck!:D That would be even more fun than having it on your wrist for a week. Wonder if they are made of latex so those of us with latex allergies can end up with medical crisis!

Does anyone know what information will be on the outside of the wristband?

The see pass has Sail date, Ship, Dining room, Seating time & table #, Folio#, room # w/o deck, and C & A status. I do see the Muster station in the photo.

If you look at the bottom of the band in that picture it looks like it says "Muster Station A1". I have no idea what else it might have.

Whoops, I see that you already mentioned the muster station part.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Now who wouldn't want to wear one of those hanging around their neck!:D That would be even more fun than having it on your wrist for a week. Wonder if they are made of latex so those of us with latex allergies can end up with medical crisis!

The Magic Bands at WDW are made of some sort of plastic. These appear to be very similar.

I agree. I don't like wearing stuff like that. I don't even like wearing the wrist band for the water taxi in St. Maarten but I put up with it for a few hours. When I get back on the ship after my last ride on the taxi the first thing I do is rip the thing off.

I totally agree. I wear my watch at night, but I HATE having anything on my right wrist. I'm glad they will still give us the option of having a sea pass.

What's the big deal? You already have to wear a bracelet to show you signed your waivers to do some of the activities onboard like flowrider, ice skating and rock climbing. I get a bracelet on day 1 so I can do all of those things, and I wear it the entire cruise. The current bracelets are really cheap and can have pointy edges where they cut it. The new bracelets will be great since they look much more comfortable than the current version, and I'm assuming they will also be able to tell that I signed all the waivers. I also won't have to worry about my seapass falling out of my pocket and falling through the grates on the flowrider.