Baseball caps on formal nights?

OldJerseycruiser

This is an observation not a criticism.

We have just come back from a cruise on the Grand Princess and we totally amazed that some American men were wearing baseball caps in the dining rooms on formal nights. We were brought up that a man wearing a hat indoors was bad manners, is this the same in the US?

They might have had a medical problem & needed to keep their scalp covered out of respect for others around them.

This. I've seen too many bald scalps that I wished had been covered, even on formal nights. I don't know why people think that ruining someone's dinner is more polite than wearing a cap indoors.

I would hope that might be the case if they were allowed to be worn in the MDR at all, especially on formal nite. This is one of my personal pet peeves and my DH takes his cap off in the dining room whether it is for breakfast or lunch. The buffet, not such a big deal to wear a cap for beakfast or lunch, but definitely not in the MDR.

I doubt if all the people wearing a cap had a scalp problem but what would rather look at, a person wearing a cap or

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=scalp+psoriasis&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&biw=1047&bih=486&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=66RHUKXDEYi49QSMg4DoBg

I have see some people over the years that I would have gladly give my hat to and they could have kept it.

They might have had a medical problem & needed to keep their scalp covered out of respect for others around them.

Even if this were the case, you'd think they might go for something a bit more "formal" than a ball cap for formal night. A nice fedora, perhaps?

Yes...it's considered "bad manners" for a man to wear a hat indoors....especially in a restaurant! At ANY time! However, there are apparently lots of men who either don't care, or don't know any better, because you will see men in hats everywhere.

Baseball caps on formal nights, new level of uncouth!

I always understood it was uncouth in any cultue to wear a hat when dining at any time and any place. If someone came and sat down at my table wearing a hat I am afraid I would find another table quickly and also complain.

Someone wearing a ball cap in the MDR on a formal night would not affect me for two reasons:

1. I most likely would not know why the person was wearing a ball cap.

2. It would not be any of my business.

Best post to this thread! I'm hitting the "like" button!

Someone wearing a ball cap in the MDR on a formal night would not affect me for two reasons:

1. I most likely would not know why the person was wearing a ball cap.

2. It would not be any of my business.

Exactly.

Best post to this thread! I'm hitting the "like" button!

Another "like."

Yes, OP, it is the same in the U.S.: it is still considered bad manners for a man to wear a hat at the dining table. Some of us still care about etiquette and manners. Some don't.

And some care about about minding their own manners and not judging others'.

It is never proper to wear a hat when dining indoors-period. Formal night or not.

Yet, there are many clods who simply don't care or don't know.:(

For the Chinese, it is absolutely proper to wear a hat indoors while dining. Many other cultures also.

And some care about about minding their own manners and not judging others'.

Correct.:cool: No judgement, here. Just stating the truth. Some care, some don't.

The purpose of this and so many other etiquette "rules" is to make for a more civil society. Consistently following the rules of etiquette tends to lead to a habit of being considerate of others around us, and not so selfish. Isn't it a bit ironic that discussions about etiquette tend to get rude?:rolleyes:

Archived