Anyone done the Austalia/New Zealand cruise?

alexandra cruiser

Trying to find info re this one for 2015.Seems to be offered only one time.Has it been done before or is this first?

Going on Riveriera in Dec.2014 and thought I d book onboard for discounts,like I just did for this one on my Oct.one.Cant beat the price,and for Australia NEED the biggest I can get,,,EXPENSIVE.Plus, will have to spring for business class upgrad,not sure WHAT tha t ll cost.

Any details would really help.;)

Trying to find info re this one for 2015.Seems to be offered only one time.Has it been done before or is this first?

Going on Riveriera in Dec.2014 and thought I d book onboard for discounts,like I just did for this one on my Oct.one.Cant beat the price,and for Australia NEED the biggest I can get,,,EXPENSIVE.Plus, will have to spring for business class upgrad,not sure WHAT tha t ll cost.

Any details would really help.;)

My wife and I are booked on the Feb 12, 2015 Sydney to Auckland "Discover Down Under" sailing.

The ship is already heavily booked due to the unique itinerary. All the suites are on wait list more than a year from sailing. See the "Roll Call" at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1916533

Business class air upgrade using Oceania air is close to $16K., making the total Oceania air close to $20K. I plan to use my Amex Platinum companion ticket for the air and should be able to reduce the total air to about $12K.

the bus class upgrade and flying time are a killer.

But appreciate the info, will look forward to a review.

Nice to know how soon it sells out.

Was thinking of booking the 2015 on the 2014 cruise,guess not.

May have to rethink whole thing and do another one.boo hoo.:(

1. The Australian itinerary is a bucket list event and demand is increasing on all cruise lines, booking out Australian cruises sooner and sooner.

2. The distance is constant, the flying time is a small inconvenience compared to the experience. I am not fond of the travel time or the travel costs, but we are not getting younger. The older we get the harder it will be to complete and enjoy this cruise.

3. I have an exceptional TA that always extends incentives which are always better than those offered on the ship, so you don't have to wait!

4. The prices for the cruise AND the air are not going down, so...........

BOOK NOW !!!!!!!! :)

1. The Australian itinerary is a bucket list event and demand is increasing on all cruise lines, booking out Australian cruises sooner and sooner.

2. The distance is constant, the flying time is a small inconvenience compared to the experience. I am not fond of the travel time or the travel costs, but we are not getting younger. The older we get the harder it will be to complete and enjoy this cruise.

3. I have an exceptional TA that always extends incentives which are always better than those offered on the ship, so you don't have to wait!

4. The prices for the cruise AND the air are not going down, so...........

BOOK NOW !!!!!!!! :)

+1

All very true.

We used QANTAS Premium Economy Class on our 2011 Down Under cruise.Found it fantastic.It was $3500.00 PP round trip from JFK.much better then economy and alot cheaper then Business class ,the same service and food as Business and seats where very wide and went back with a foot rest.

We used QANTAS Premium Economy Class on our 2011 Down Under cruise.Found it fantastic.It was $3500.00 PP round trip from JFK.much better then economy and alot cheaper then Business class ,the same service and food as Business and seats where very wide and went back with a foot rest.

:)Thank you for your input. Please address a couple of questions for me;

1. How comfortable were your seats?

2. How far back were you able to recline?

3. Were you able to sleep in the seats?

Your description of the seat sounds very similar to the seats we were in for the flight from LAX to Tahiti on Air Nui Tahiti. Thanks for you time!:)

Your description of the seat sounds very similar to the seats we were in for the flight from LAX to Tahiti on Air Nui Tahiti. Thanks for you time!:)

1. Very

2. Think recliner or Lazy Boy

3. Yes

may have to look under airlines separately,didn t see that option.But my DH STILL can t get over the time,36 hrs.whew..we did 22 from VIetnam and he managed.

Yes, on my bucket list too.

Just think of the Australians that fly to Miami :D

Try http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

You can narrow down the flight options then just check the airline site for the ones that suit your needs

Here is one better... LAX to SYD in an air New Zealand "SKY COUCH" for $2900 rt. What the sky couch is , is a row or 3 special seats 60" wide where the arms come up and the foot rests also making a 28" x 60 lie flat bed !!!

I was surprised to learn about them

Be careful on using miles Effective Feb 1 they almost double on Delta UAL and others... goinf to 360,000 rt F and 320,000 rt business 160,000 coach

• 2 months later...

I hear it can be very rough,Wonder how the ship handled it?

We need some advice from those that just returned.PLEASE.

How was the trip??

Now thinking 2016 since above poster said 2015 almost full,wow,have to really plan ahead.

Hey,was thinking of taking Black Sea cruise,glad I put that one off.Wonder if it will ever be as peaceful in that region anymore.So sad,for all.:(

We did the Auckland to Sydney a couple of years ago on the Nautica. The trip was absolutely wonderful, and we did not experience any rough seas. (However, we don't mind if they are rough, but they weren't).

If you haven't been there before, be sure to have 2 or 3 days in Auckland and the same in Sydney.

You will love this trip, and you will love it on Oceania.

I hear it can be very rough,Wonder how the ship handled it?

We need some advice from those that just returned.PLEASE.

How was the trip??

Now thinking 2016 since above poster said 2015 almost full,wow,have to really plan ahead.

Hey,was thinking of taking Black Sea cruise,glad I put that one off.Wonder if it will ever be as peaceful in that region anymore.So sad,for all.:(

I have do this trip twice.

The Tasman sea can not be predicted.. what ever I or any one else experienced will be inaccurate . It is the luck of the draw and you will not know till 24 hours before. That's the cold cruel truth. Transiting the Bass Straits because it is so very shallow is always a crap- shoot.

You have to have a mind set that its no bid deal. At most you will not be as sea for more than 2 days from Tasmania to NZ Yes 20 dt rollers are the norm... but they come from the stern and are a following sea.... ( Sailors wish for fair winds and following seas)

A suggestion on the flights....take the Oceania credit of $1200pp Schedule your RT from FLA to LAX and take a break for a day or 2. ( coming back you take another break as well)

Then get a 1 way Business on Qantas... about $3690pp to Sydney 15.5 hours..... you need a lie flat. and 9 hours of solid flat sleep Their Premimun economy are in the back of the plane, only recline about 4 inches and are 1 inch wider than coach.To or from NZ it is only 11 hours. Take Air NZ in Sky Couch... 3 seats together for $2800 each way to LA. Avoid flying Qantas from NZ to LAX.... The flight is 20 hours long because it flys AUK-SYD-LAX.. Air NZ flys AUK-LAX non stop direct

So while Oceaina would charge you $16,000 and charge you air deviation of $350... you can do it on tour own... with a 2 or 3 day break going an coming total about $17000.

For LA, use miles or dollars for the cheap LAX-MIA flight, and save $3000 to $4000 in air fare You also can fly earlier into Australia and explore and do the same in Auckland....

Win-win-win

We did the Auckland to Sydney a couple of years ago on the Nautica. The trip was absolutely wonderful, and we did not experience any rough seas. (However, we don't mind if they are rough, but they weren't).

If you haven't been there before, be sure to have 2 or 3 days in Auckland and the same in Sydney.

You will love this trip, and you will love it on Oceania.

We spent a full week in Sydney pre cruise. There is a lot to see and we took some great side trips. We spent 3 days post cruise in Auckland and that was about right.

If you want to take advantage of the on cruise booking credits and the cruise for 2016 is still not out, the Oceania ambassador will book you the latest cruise they can, once the 2016 cruises are out, transfer the credits to your 2016 cruise. We did this, this past January because we were waiting for the 2015 May to November cruises to come out and have now transferred the credits to the cruise we wanted. This was on the advice of the Oceania ambassador that we did this.

Tasman Sea was smooth when we sailed but the Captain said that we were very lucky. We booked the cruise as soon as the winter brochure was released and it filled up quite quickly. This way we got the cabin we wanted.

My husband gets seasick looking at a toilet bowl, but he took a deep breath and the Tasman sea was smooth. Others are right--you can never tell. It takes two days to get across, but well worth it. Just bring something for those two days if necessary. The rest is all right. Just go for it. I wouldn't do anything but at least Business. Air New Zealand is business/first and they have wonderful service.

If you want to take advantage of the on cruise booking credits and the cruise for 2016 is still not out, the Oceania ambassador will book you the latest cruise they can, once the 2016 cruises are out, transfer the credits to your 2016 cruise. We did this, this past January because we were waiting for the 2015 May to November cruises to come out and have now transferred the credits to the cruise we wanted. This was on the advice of the Oceania ambassador that we did this.

Tasman Sea was smooth when we sailed but the Captain said that we were very lucky. We booked the cruise as soon as the winter brochure was released and it filled up quite quickly. This way we got the cabin we wanted.

These on cruise credits ,,,not on Rivera till Nov.Do you think I could wait till then to book for 2016? Asked my TA about it,but she said not till on computer,etc.Heard they fill up fast.So I m not sure what credits you r e referring to?

Hawaidian,,thanks for airline tips and Tasman Sea info.Guess I ll just have to take my chances.No ONE answer ,it seems.

Just concerned about the size of ship in rough seas, some poster said to stick with BIG ONES,but we hate those mass market experiences.Too many awful cruises,learned our lesson.

Our cruise was on Nautica five years ago, so not recent -- but I'm not sure condition of the seas is dependent on time. We had some rough-ish seas occasionally on the Auckland-Sydney itinerary but we've had worse elsewhere (such as Iceland to Dublin on Insignia which was very rough, or one time going to Aruba where even the crew was seasick).

For the most part it was a very comfortable cruise, and I'm one who tends to be sensitive to heavy seas. But just because we had generally calm seas doesn't mean every cruise will.

As to booking now or later, I suppose it comes down to the kind of accommodation you want. If it's a cabin that typically sells out quickly, then obviously booking earlier is better. If you don't really care about level or location, then it can be worth waiting. Just keep on eye on how availability changes (or doesn't change).

Mura

These on cruise credits ,,,not on Rivera till Nov.Do you think I could wait till then to book for 2016? Asked my TA about it,but she said not till on computer,etc.Heard they fill up fast.So I m not sure what credits you r e referring to?

Just concerned about the size of ship in rough seas, some poster said to stick with BIG ONES,but we hate those mass market experiences.Too many awful cruises,learned our lesson.

We were on our cruise in January this year. The Oceania rep booked us on a cruise that was listed on the Oceania site that would allow us flexibility to book a 2016 winter cruise if we wanted it if there was nothing in the Summer 2015 brochure that we wanted to book. The Summer 2015 brochure was not out for another month after we got home. Once the Summer 2015 brochure came out, we looked at it, found a cruise we wanted to do and transferred the credits from the cruise the Oceania rep booked for us onboard in January to the cruise we really wanted to take in September 2015. By November of this year, the 2016 winter cruise book should be out and if I remember correctly the cruise from Papeete to Sydney did not fill up that quickly and there was still space in November. The only problem you may encounter is that you may not be able to get the cabin you want.

For this cruise get a cabin more central in the ship. You feel less motion there and also the lower down you are the less motion you feel.

The Winter, 2016 schedule will come out in September, 2014. Book the cabin you want, then when you are on your cruise in November, go to the O Club Ambassador early in the cruise and ask for your cruise to be re-booked with your on-board booking credit. This is only possible if the category is still available but that shouldn't be a problem after only two months. This way you can get the cabin you want and get the discount -- the best of both worlds.

Cruising in this area should not be missed! Don't hesitate because of the possibility of rough seas -- if it is soooooo rough that it is not safe, the Captain won't do it. We missed our port stop in Hobart, Tasmania due to a storm but everyone was just fine with the change in itinerary.:)

As far as air is concerned, we flew to Sydney on UA (nonstop from LA) and then returned from Auckland nonstop on Air New Zealand. Both were in Business Class which I would heartily recommend, especially on Air New Zealand -- it is fantastic. It is a long flight but well worth it when you arrive in this wonderful, friendly part of the world. The friends we were traveling with took Air New Zealand both ways but going to Sydney, they had to make one stop/change planes in Auckland. They said it wasn't bad doing that and saved them some money.

However you get there, be sure you do this cruise itinerary at some time. It is wonderful.

Billie

My recommendation

Virgin Australia Business Class (Delta partner)

By far the best business class we have ever flown (better than Singapore Air). They give you comfy pajamas, make your bed, and we were lucky enough to have the seats that have curtains around them for privacy. Food was outstanding, there is an all night "bar" with snacks for in insomniacs and ratio of flight attendant to passenger was 1:5. I wish they flew more places.

then switching onboard.Just want concierge ,mid ship.

Also, never even heard of Virgin Aust.air,,,do they fly home from Auckland too?Can you remember cost.?Was thinking of Air New Zealand also,but hate to fly back from Sydney,or vice versa.

On 2 of the member reviews, cruisers complained about high cost of shore exc. and being "nickel and dimed".Did you feel that?

:confused:

then switching onboard.Just want concierge ,mid ship.

Also, never even heard of Virgin Aust.air,,,do they fly home from Auckland too?Can you remember cost.?Was thinking of Air New Zealand also,but hate to fly back from Sydney,or vice versa.

On 2 of the member reviews, cruisers complained about high cost of shore exc. and being "nickel and dimed".Did you feel that?

:confused:

I used miles

I have no idea about cost.

I flew home on different air line unfortunately because that's what I could get with miles.

I NEVER take a cruise shore excursion. I only do private excursions. I never feel nickeled and dimed on any cruise line.