Computer Program to compile List of Birthdays and Anniversaries?

sail7seas

Would one (some) of our computer experts give a dumbed down answer to whether it would be a lot of work or big deal for a computer program to be created that someone in front office could run to list who is having a birthday or wedding anniversary while aboard?

Too often we read someone was disappointed their DH's 75th Birthday was not noted despite TA and themselves advising Dining Staff of the event.

What would be the big deal for one of the Front Office people to pull that information from the guest registrations and e-mail/hand carry a list to the Dining Room to see these events are recognized?

Is it a stupid idea?

IMHO, yes, this is a stupid idea because (speaking strictly for myself) I do not need/want to have HAL publicly recognize the anniversary of my nativity or marriage or retirement or first cruise or college graduation or etc, etc ... IMO we do not need another computer program to facilitate broadcasting our personal information to the world ... JMO

I believe it would not be difficult at all for the computer program to sort out this information. Avian 777 does however have a point. Some people like to get the birthday song others do not. This preference could be spelled out by answering a question asked as a part of the booking process. Lacking an affirmative response the answer would be assumed to be no.

Technically: Birthdays, no big deal. Wedding anniversaries however..... The program needs information, and HAL should not have info on wedding dates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

... This preference could be spelled out by answering a question asked as a part of the booking process. Lacking an affirmative response the answer would be assumed to be no.

I think that is a great idea - but only as you describe it, i.e., an "opt-in" program.

Too often we read someone was disappointed their DH's 75th Birthday was not noted despite TA and themselves advising Dining Staff of the event.

I believe the point was, as I have personally experienced, whenever I choose to note (with our PCC or on online bookings ) the date and type of our special celebrations, sometimes they are acknowledged by the dining room and other times not. This has been true for our table mates too.

I believe the point was, as I have personally experienced, whenever I choose to note (with our PCC or on online bookings ) the date and type of our special celebrations, sometimes they are acknowledged by the dining room and other times not. This has been true for our table mates too.

That would seem to indicate that it is less of a computer issue and more of lack of follow through on the part of HAL staff (be it shore-side or on-board).

Probably the best course of action is to just make the request, once on-board. We have found that the dining room staff is always willing to help someone celebrate -- whatever they wish to celebrate. :D

Ray in NH

It would be an easy add on to HAL's existing passenger information data base, but there are too many privacy issues involved with using the information as you have described.

Although though it appears that the occasional birthday or anniversary is forgotten by the staff, in all of the cases posted recently they have been made aware, so those misses would still have occurred had the information come from the front office. As I've seen no indication that this happens with any frequency, I'd say continue using the current system.

We always had our events recognized when we wished for that to happen. When we sailed some 'milestone' anniversaries and birthdays, HAL always gave us lovely celebrations for which I am more grateful today than perhaps I was even then. The memories are wonderful.

To address the issue of whether a guest wishes for a celebration in perhaps a more 'gentle and nicer way', I would agree there should be an opt out. Put the question on the Registration on Line or when the booking is originally made. No need for all to miss out on a birthday cake because some don't wish to have it. Let's think of others and not just ourselves? :)

Please put me down as being against the idea. On the few occasions when someone else has arranged a dining room surprise it has always been so embarrassing. My husband hates it too.

We are very private people and don't like all that attention.

We are not too thrilled with door balloons either.

Please put me down as being against the idea. On the few occasions when someone else has arranged a dining room surprise it has always been so embarrassing. My husband hates it too.

We are very private people and don't like all that attention.

We are not too thrilled with door balloons either.

Thus the choice to 'opt out'.

Maybe we should make it an 'opt in'?

Edited by sail7seas

... I would agree there should be an opt out. Put the question on the Registration on Line or when the booking is originally made. No need for all to miss out on a birthday cake because some don't wish to have it. Let's think of others and not just ourselves? :)

... neither patrick65 nor I suggested an "opt out" program. If other passengers want to be recognized on their special days, they should be allowed to opt in and the rest of us should not have to take any affirmative action to opt out of the program. As both Ray in NH and Foremco pointed, a computer program of the sort you want would not solve the very problem you posited. As such, IMO I am "think[ing] of others and not just [myself]" by voicing my objection to a new program that would not solve a problem but would ignore/trample the privacy rights of many.

That would seem to indicate that it is less of a computer issue and more of lack of follow through on the part of HAL staff (be it shore-side or on-board).

Probably the best course of action is to just make the request, once on-board. We have found that the dining room staff is always willing to help someone celebrate -- whatever they wish to celebrate. :D

Ray in NH

I agree that it appears to be a lack of follow through. We had our TA personally request a cake to be delivered to our suite on HAL and it didn't arrive. On our most recent Celebrity cruise, I ordered and paid for a special cake to be delivered to our cabin to celebrate my DW's birthday. It didn't arrive either.

I can't remember if we paid for the cake on HAL or not, as it was a few years ago and that cruise was one of the worst that we had ever had. I do know that we specifically paid for the cake on X and had to request a refund.

I would much rather that HAL offered more options under Indulgences so those who wish to celebrate special events can and have different options. You wouldn't think that it would be very difficult to have a decadent cake delivered to your cabin for a certain price, but for us it has been an impossible task. :eek:

... neither patrick65 nor I suggested an "opt out" program. If other passengers want to be recognized on their special days, they should be allowed to opt in and the rest of us should not have to take any affirmative action to opt out of the program. As both Ray in NH and Foremco pointed, a computer program of the sort you want would not solve the very problem you posited. As such, IMO I am "think[ing] of others and not just [myself]" by voicing my objection to a new program that would not solve a problem but would ignore/trample the privacy rights of many.

I'm not sure exactly what was originally proposed, but I have to say that from what I do gather, I agree with this. It applies to many other areas, too. Many of us here in BC may remember the fiasco of having to opt out in the Shaw cable additional services.:rolleyes: If you didn't opt out, it cost you big time.

Edited by Lizzie68

Would one (some) of our computer experts give a dumbed down answer to whether it would be a lot of work or big deal for a computer program to be created that someone in front office could run to list who is having a birthday or wedding anniversary while aboard?

What would be the big deal for one of the Front Office people to pull that information from the guest registrations and e-mail/hand carry a list to the Dining Room to see these events are recognized?

Is it a stupid idea?

I wish I could remember which ship we were on, I know it was an S class ship, it was quite a few years ago -- the front office did place on the front desk -- in a frame -- the names of people celebrating birthdays and anniversaries. Each day -- if there were any -- a new list was posted.

We seldom cruise whenever we are celebrating something. My birthday is during hurricane season -- thus no Caribbean cruises for us.

DH celebrated one birthday on HAL and I told that story elsewhere on CC -- missed. But on Princess and Cunard -- his was not missed.

We did celebrate a few anniversaries on HAL, Princess and Cunard -- and none were missed -- just got a small cake on HAL. Princess -- bottle of champagne on one cruise -- and a chocolate cup filled with chocolate mousse on another. Cunard gave us a small silver (yes -- real silver) plate with the number of years on it.

>SNIP<

Ray in NH

I agree it is likely an issue of follow-through. The crew/staff onboard are already overworked. I can't see why anyone would think that adding another job to their already too-long list of duties is any kind of good idea.

I wish I could remember which ship we were on, I know it was an S class ship, it was quite a few years ago -- the front office did place on the front desk -- in a frame -- the names of people celebrating birthdays and anniversaries. Each day -- if there were any -- a new list was posted.

I imagine that this ceased when more attention started being paid to privacy issues.

I agree it is likely an issue of follow-through. The crew/staff onboard are already overworked. I can't see why anyone would think that adding another job to their already too-long list of duties is any kind of good idea.

so agree with this.

FWIW, DH doesn't want a fuss on his birthday (I know, it's his choice, it's all about choices) so when we were on the P'dam I deliberately booked the PG as they don't sing there. I never said a word about his birthday and a beautiful cake arrived. I think I posted a pic on a live thread but all I can say is it was gorgeous.

There was no fuss, no muss, just a discreet passing of the cake and a quiet happy birthday to DH. He loved it.

If he hadn't had a cake, he would have loved the dinner too.

If a cake is a big deal, make the request but some of us shy away from that stuff. It's all about choices right?

I agree with you.

So many people don't like to advertise their birthdays and/or anniversaries.

I must say that I'm in the the group that prefers privacy. If I'm with friends, they'll already know. For those who aren't, what possible interest is my birthday or anniversary to them?

I celebrated an anniversary on board a few years back. They brought us a slice of cake and sang a song. We had quite a few people wish us a happy anniversary all during the evening. It was nice. We had people ask if we were newly weds and we let them know that we were celebrating 18 years. Made great conversation and I enjoyed it.

That being said, I opted in to that when they asked if we were celebrating any special occasions. I wouldn't want them to do it willy nilly.