church attire in Rome, etc.

daisy706

I am going on a cruise in July so it is going to be hot. I plan to wear capri pants with flats. As far as the top goes can I wear a sleeveless top like a patterned tank top and put on a short sweater to go in the churches? If so, the newer lightweight sweaters have see-through sleeves (like a crochet or lace). Is this okay or because you might get a glimpse of the shoulder through the sweater is this not enough coverage?

Knees and shoulders must be covered. Many ladies travel with a large scarf they cover themselves with if they have not dressed modestly.

Crochet sleeves on your short sweater likely are okay assuming they give some coverage.

Edited by sail7seas

I was allowed into the Vatican wearing a tailored sleeveless, collared blouse. I had brought a large, lightweight scarf to cover up & was surprised to be admitted without needing it.

You were lucky or the guard missed the sleeveless part!

I was allowed into the Vatican wearing a tailored sleeveless, collared blouse. I had brought a large, lightweight scarf to cover up & was surprised to be admitted without needing it.

While that may happen occasionally, it is far from the norm. The Vatican is usually pretty consistent (among all churches I've visited in Italy) about ensuring the dress code is met.

They make it very clear (as shown in photo below), and expect it to be followed:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/06/16/article-2159988-13A1F16A000005DC-92_634x717.jpg

Keep in mind that different places have different rules, you might get through the Vatican Museums dressed one way, then hit the Sistine Chapel & be turned away ( but I think what the OP is planning to wear is fine)

If you're going to do the Scavi tour they're super strict, but smaller churches in smaller villages tend to be more welcoming, in Greece & in smaller Italian churches, my DH would not go in because he was wearing shorts, in two little churches, an elderly lady decorating the alter, actually went outside & pulled him in... :) it was very sweet.

Bottom line, be prepared with a way to have your shoulders covered, & most of your knees in most places, & all of your knees in the bigger Rome churches.

Every time I was at St. Peter's I saw women in sleeveless tops stopped.

Since she said the Vatican, I took it as in the Vatican Museums, where you'd get away with it until you tried to enter the Sistine, she didn't say anything about St Peter's ( I agree with you, I've never seen shoulders showing at St Peter's although maybe her shirt completely covered her shoulders??

Since she said the Vatican, I took it as in the Vatican Museums, where you'd get away with it until you tried to enter the Sistine, she didn't say anything about St Peter's ( I agree with you, I've never seen shoulders showing at St Peter's although maybe her shirt completely covered her shoulders??

Actually when we were at the Vatican Museums they were requiring women to cover their shoulders throughout the entire building. There was a woman right behind us much of the way who was reminded repeatedly to pull her wrap up over her shoulders.

Keep in mind that different places have different rules, you might get through the Vatican Museums dressed one way, then hit the Sistine Chapel & be turned away ( but I think what the OP is planning to wear is fine)

If you're going to do the Scavi tour they're super strict, but smaller churches in smaller villages tend to be more welcoming, in Greece & in smaller Italian churches, my DH would not go in because he was wearing shorts, in two little churches, an elderly lady decorating the alter, actually went outside & pulled him in... :) it was very sweet.

Bottom line, be prepared with a way to have your shoulders covered, & most of your knees in most places, & all of your knees in the bigger Rome churches.

We had a similar experience in Athens when the docent for a small chapel insisted we come in, even though we were both wearing shorts. Through most of Europe it's been the opposite though, they expected modest dress.

This is why I always wear long pants and at least a short-sleeved shirt when I travel in Europe. I never know what I'm going to run into and what to enter. I don't have to worry about being denied entrance because of my attire. Just because it is hot does not mean long pants are out - you just have know know which fabrics will do best for when you travel.

I learned on my last long cruise that long skirts w/tee shirts are very comfortable in hot climates! I first saw some fellow cruisers in the Med wearing them, and asked. They said they were quite cool & comfortable, and they were covered up appropriately for churches & temples. Some of them carried wraps (pashminas) as well.

Tried it myself in India & Burma & Israel last spring. I couldn't believe how comfortable & cool I felt. Also, in some of the countries without western-style toilets, it was much easier to take care of Business! Faster, too, the lines for the western style toilets would have long, long lines, but the squatty potties had none ... a skirt was very easy to manage!

I learned on my last long cruise that long skirts w/tee shirts are very comfortable in hot climates! I first saw some fellow cruisers in the Med wearing them, and asked. They said they were quite cool & comfortable, and they were covered up appropriately for churches & temples. Some of them carried wraps (pashminas) as well.

Tried it myself in India & Burma & Israel last spring. I couldn't believe how comfortable & cool I felt. Also, in some of the countries without western-style toilets, it was much easier to take care of Business! Faster, too, the lines for the western style toilets would have long, long lines, but the squatty potties had none ... a skirt was very easy to manage!

I definitely agree and they are a go-to for me. I only wear shorts when visiting someplace like Pompeii where I know I'm not going into a church and will be on very rough terrain.

I will say that climbing the steps of the cupola at St. Peters in a skirt was a chore, and halfway up I really wished I had worn slacks instead.