Shorts in Pompeii

Pompeii is an archaeological site, you'll be fine in shorts. (And be thankful you're going in early May before it gets really hot...!)

If you were visiting a church in Italy, it's best to be prepared to have knees and shoulders covered. Other than that, there are no real guidelines. (However, I am sometimes amazed by what people will wear in major cities -- things that I would not go outside my house in!)

Agree with the others. Pompeii is not a church or place where normal more modest dress is required. Of course Daisy Dukes might be frowned upon, but a short that falls on the lower mid thigh is fine--and most others will be dressed the same way.

It will be hot (but not unbearable) by early May, make sure to wear sunscreen, shoes good for walking on uneven terrain (ie not flip flops), and wear a hat.

Shorts in Pompeii will be absolutely fine. It is very dusty underfoot in some areas so closed toe shoes might be better than sandals and a hat might be useful as there is very little shade.

It's a fascinating place, enjoy!

Just my personal preference, but I would not wear shorts touring anywhere but perhaps the Caribbean. Never in Europe. What if you see a beautiful church you'd like to view? Your choice, of course.

Pompeii is amazing. Enjoy.

Just my personal preference, but I would not wear shorts touring anywhere but perhaps the Caribbean. Never in Europe. What if you see a beautiful church you'd like to view? Your choice, of course.

If you take an organized tour to Pompeii there will be no church to stop into on the way.

The only other place in Europe where I wore shorts (other than on the ship a couple of times) was the Acropolis/Parthenon. It was over 90 the day we visited. Other than a couple of Italians trying to walk around in spiked heels, everyone was in (mostly walking length) shorts or capris--including the men.

Much as I rarely wear jeans, I rarely wear shorts either. Cotton t-shirt dresses - I can hike in them (including the Acropolis - the long way 'round too:p) and they can be dressed up if needed.

But shorts at Pompeii will not be inappropriate if that's all you're going to do.

If you take an organized tour to Pompeii there will be no church to stop into on the way.

The only other place in Europe where I wore shorts (other than on the ship a couple of times) was the Acropolis/Parthenon. It was over 90 the day we visited. Other than a couple of Italians trying to walk around in spiked heels, everyone was in (mostly walking length) shorts or capris--including the men.

We toured the Acropolis/Parthenon in August and it sure was hot!!!! We were a party of six with a private guide and managed fine in our capris and the men in light weight pants. Our choice, of course.

What a wonderful experience touring there and then lunch in the Platka. :)

I saw young girls in the Vatican that tied pareos around themselves. One tied as a dress over their shorts, the other tied like a shawl. they were young teens though. I as sure as a 60 year old woman maybe I could get away with it too, but I am sure there would be more raised eyebrows and probably a few questioning if I had dementia.

Personally my feel is, unless you going to the beach or a picnic, at least Bermuda length shorts look best on everyone. Some of us whose legs are not so pretty anymore, capris are better.

Another option for hot weather are sundresses. There are many pretty sundresses that are comfortable to wear and having a shawl or shrug with you,you can use the same outfit for touring a cathedral if you cover your shoulders. I do not pick spaghetti strap sundresses anymore, as I can't stand strapless bras and would never go braless. I pick sleeveless or capped sleeve sundresses, but I still add the shawl or a shrug when going in churches.

Pompeii is an archaeological site, you'll be fine in shorts. (And be thankful you're going in early May before it gets really hot...!)

If you were visiting a church in Italy, it's best to be prepared to have knees and shoulders covered. Other than that, there are no real guidelines. (However, I am sometimes amazed by what people will wear in major cities -- things that I would not go outside my house in!)

Yes fine, but if you are sensitive to the sun you may want an umbrella/parasol.

There is little to no shade areas in Pompeii, so be warned that if it is indeed hot on the day you are there (as it was for us) you will be baking under the sun. Shorts were a must.

It is truly an amazing place, you will love it!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Forums mobile app

We were in Pompeii in June. HOT! We wore capis out of very thin material and a top that wicked away the sweat. Men in cargo shorts. We had a very nice Italian guide who carried an umbrella. Something I wished we had thought of. We were smart enough to carry the cooling towels and it was the BEST thing ever for both Pompeii and in Turkey. We carried a bottle of water with us and just drenched the cooling rag. We had never used them before and didn't know if they would really work. YES, they work. I think, at one point, they saved us from a heat stroke in Ephesus. They can be reused. We got ours on Amazon.

I saw young girls in the Vatican that tied pareos around themselves. One tied as a dress over their shorts, the other tied like a shawl. they were young teens though. I as sure as a 60 year old woman maybe I could get away with it too, but I am sure there would be more raised eyebrows and probably a few questioning if I had dementia.

Personally my feel is, unless you going to the beach or a picnic, at least Bermuda length shorts look best on everyone. Some of us whose legs are not so pretty anymore, capris are better.

Another option for hot weather are sundresses. There are many pretty sundresses that are comfortable to wear and having a shawl or shrug with you,you can use the same outfit for touring a cathedral if you cover your shoulders. I do not pick spaghetti strap sundresses anymore, as I can't stand strapless bras and would never go braless. I pick sleeveless or capped sleeve sundresses, but I still add the shawl or a shrug when going in churches.

Sorry to say that Bermuda length do NOT look best on everyone. They look terrible on me. What works for me is about 4" above the knee, ie the south end of mid-thigh, although I can still get away with a 6" inseam as well. (I run, so my legs are well toned.) Up until a few years ago I could even do a 4" inseam, but I feel those are now too short unless they are board shorts worn to the beach or pool.

We toured the Acropolis/Parthenon in August and it sure was hot!!!! We were a party of six with a private guide and managed fine in our capris and the men in light weight pants. Our choice, of course.

What a wonderful experience touring there and then lunch in the Platka. :)

I don't own capris. They don't look good on me with my build.

Sorry to say that Bermuda length do NOT look best on everyone. They look terrible on me. What works for me is about 4" above the knee, ie the south end of mid-thigh, although I can still get away with a 6" inseam as well. (I run, so my legs are well toned.) Up until a few years ago I could even do a 4" inseam, but I feel those are now too short unless they are board shorts worn to the beach or pool.

I meant as far as not how it looks on you but it just looks more "proper" to me. I am sure I am old fashioned. I feel even much younger and attractive women than me should just not show as much skin in more public places unless it is a picnic, a day at Six Flags/ Disneyworld or of course a day at the beach.

I do get what you are saying which is why when I was in my 40's and early 50's I would wear a lot of knee length skorts. They looked better on me than Bermuda shorts. Now, Bermuda shorts look better on me but actually capris look much better than Bermuda shorts on me.

I do not know about others, but our cruise was 12 days and I had to keep down the packing. I had a couple of simple cotton maxi sundresses (really midi as it was above my ankles) that I could rinse out in the sink and hang up to dry that I wore a lot. I also had pull up cotton capris that was easy to rinse out and hang up to dry.

I thought I would use the laundry service but we were notified on day 3 of our cruise that laundry would not be available until late in the day of day nine except for having clothing pressed. I ended up being very glad I had packed things simple to rinse out.

I don't own capris. They don't look good on me with my build.

Yes, they normally look better on older women, well of course that is relative; capris look better than shorts on 60 year old women. Believe me there will come a point in time, where you do not worry so much about if something looks good on you or if you are presentable.

Yes, they normally look better on older women, well of course that is relative; capris look better than shorts on 60 year old women. Believe me there will come a point in time, where you do not worry so much about if something looks good on you or if you are presentable.

I did not word that right. I meant you will be satisfied with being presentable when you realize you no longer look "good" in anything,lol! It happened to me in my late 50's. Some gals it does not happen until their 70's or older.

I have a lot of health issues, diabetes for nearly 30 years. I now have issues with my heart,diabetes related. I have taken care of myself,diet wise, and until the last couple of years I was walking every day for 45 minutes, health issues are preventing me from doing that now. I have never been obese. My mother had diabetes,her father did too, and so does all of my siblings. It is just with the march of time the disease has worsened,actually I have done well considering 27 years later and I am still on oral meds and not insulin. My siblings who did not try to care for them selves had issues much earlier on after being diagnosed. I think I have done well and I have not thrown in the towel either. I still do my best to take care of myself.

I did not word that right. I meant you will be satisfied with being presentable when you realize you no longer look "good" in anything,lol! It happened to me in my late 50's. Some gals it does not happen until their 70's or older.

Now that is depressing!

I doubt that.

I am in my mid-50's, but as I mentioned, I work out, so my legs (and the rest of me) remain thin and toned. I don't wear "short shorts" any longer, but I'm not about to start dressing like an old lady just because I'm a certain age.

Considering I weigh just slightly more than I did when I graduated high school, and less than I did when I got married, I'm not worried about it. I am self-critical and won't wear things that don't look good on me or are "too young." That's why I've dropped my inseam to a longer length than I wore even five years ago.

I would wear this dress and not think twice about it. (Actually I think I might go buy it for an event I have coming up.)

http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/Product_Images/570134304_001_large.jpg

Anyone who thinks it is "too short" can look the other way. :rolleyes:

It's not the age, but the body type that determines what looks better on someone. I have yet to see a photo here where capris looked good on someone - they usually make someone looked chopped off. If they stop at the big calves, it makes the whole body look larger than it really is. The only time I've seen capris look nice is with a slender woman and the woman is wearing smart flats or platform sandals… JMHO.

I'm like Ducklite - knee-length shorts don't look good on me, nor do capris. Shorts a few inches above the knees look just right. I have toned legs (my co-workers have told me many times I have good legs), but athletic calves. Anything close to my calves make them look twice the size and take the attraction away from how slender the rest of my legs and hips are. And, I am 60 ;-)

Edited by slidergirl