Have your kids experienced sea sickness?

Pier290

We've done 2 cruises with my kids (4 of them ages 17 to 5). First cruise no problem and no one took any medicine. Second cruise, it was windy the first few days and a bit wavy on our first morning (day 2). My 2 girls (17 and 5) were both nauseous but boys were totally fine. The girls took dramamine only for that day and my 5 year old who was a bit worse off wore the sea bands that day and the next. Not sure if the sea bands actually help or if its a mental thing.

Bottom line is you don't know how you or kids will handle anything or how the seas will be. We only use it if needed. I'd rather pack it and not need it than need it and not have anything.

My 6 year old daughter did. The second sea day was quite windy and she was complaining of "being dizzy". I'm not really surprised as sometimes she gets motion sickness in the car. She had some Gravol and a nap (we both did as I was feeling ill too), got up and were golden the rest of the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Taking our 7 and 11 on their 1st cruise...have any of your kids experienced sea sickness? I'm already armed with Dramamine but don't want to medicate a ton....Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

There's a "Bonine"....chewable raspberry flavor that we always take along.

I don't think so, but my wife does Our twins are 7 and have been on ~12 cruises since 7MO. Teh issue is that they won't necessarily describe it like you feel it. For instance the "being dizzy" comment above could be motion sickness, but of course it's the nausea that is more of an issue for most people. Our kids have been unexcited to eat, and my wife interprets that as minor seasickness. However, our kids (like most, I believe) are poor eaters anytime something else is going on. By that metric, they are getting seasick in a hotel too! In any case, if they've had it at all, it's been minor.

Keep in mind that the drug solutions are much better when taken a day or so in advance, and carried forward through the cruise. Along those lines, you might consider looking at alternate solutions like ginger (ginger candy) or green apples, or even sea bands. If effective, you can avoid the need to give drugs over the course of days.

All that said, the regular (not the non-drowsy) Dramamine will promote good sleep, which may make for a better cruise for all. :D

Our twins - now 13 have been on six cruises - one of them feels "dizzy" as the previous poster said. Look into Ginger - my kids preferred to swallow a pill but check out different formulations. Ginger candy or even flat gingerale are a good first line to try. Keep the dramamine or bonine available but the old fashioned flat gingerale and a cracker have good results for many.

DD got a little queasy the first day at sea. She was 5 at the time. There was a storm in the area so the seas were a little choppy. I am glad I brought the Dramamine. That plus a nap helped her feel better and she was fine the next day.

This will be our first cruise, and I was looking at all the motion sickness stuff at Target yesterday. I didn't know if it was worth it to get the bands or if having some kind of medication was better? Thoughts? We live in AZ, so our kids haven't been on a lot of boats--mostly ferry rides when we visit my brother in WA and a few other small boats. They don't get carsick, they have no problem on roller coasters or rides, so I'm presuming they won't have a problem, but I'd rather be prepared. I just have no idea what to get. I was leaning towards the bands and then returning them if we don't end up needing them.

I always have some medicine even though I don't actively give it unless necessary, i.e. bad weather. I also have sea bands but they use by pressure points and they are pretty big on my kids so not sure how much help they would be.

our pediatrician suggested green granny smith apples! our children were 2.5 and 5 years old when we went on our first cruise. and i was a bit hesitant to give meds. our youngest has always been a good eater, since little...and when he wasn't really eating the first night, we thought he may be "getting seasick", since he was a bit small to really explain what was happening. so we gave him granny smith apples, and i ate some too, as i was getting a bit nauseous. worked wonders!!

We found out that my oldest gets motion sickness three hours into our 24 HR dr to Disney world when he was 6. Apparently we never drove for more than 3 hours until that day, which must have been his cut off! He also got sea sick once on the carnival magic! The seas were rough and once the sickness comes on, you will be spending 5-6 hours in the room with your sick child. I would play it by ear if you don't have a child that already has know problems with motion sickness! Good luck and have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

My dd gets car sick/motion sickness. Or did.

We use a ginger essential oil that my Ob recommends for nausea for morning sickness. On temples, by ear and on wrists.

I tend to get motion sick too.

I like any of following:

The essential oil

Ginger tea

Ginger pill

When we took our toddler last time, we put the sea band pressure bracelet on him.

I didn't do any of above for first cruise. Just non drowsy Dramamine. I did not like the Dramamine. I felt groggy and just not quite "right"

With the other natural methods I felt great/normal.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk