Gem Disappointment

Whitnee1

Just had the opportunity to catch up with the roll call for the 1/2/14 sailing and am pretty annoyed with NCL. Seems they opted to complete some upgrades, while sailing, rather than during what was supposed to have been a 11/14 dry dock that ws postponed. Part of those upgrades have eliminated the Blue Lagoon and I believe the Brazilian restauraunt. Now, after final payment, they have dropped Tortola from the itinerary and added now a sixth sea day. I feel that NCL really hoodwinked their customers by not advising them that this work would be ongoing during their cruise. One on the board inquired about a switch to the Breakaway and was told their penalty would be 50% of the fare :mad::mad::mad:

Just had the opportunity to catch up with the roll call for the 1/2/14 sailing and am pretty annoyed with NCL. Seems they opted to complete some upgrades, while sailing, rather than during what was supposed to have been a 11/14 dry dock that ws postponed. Part of those upgrades have eliminated the Blue Lagoon and I believe the Brazilian restauraunt. Now, after final payment, they have dropped Tortola from the itinerary and added now a sixth sea day. I feel that NCL really hoodwinked their customers by not advising them that this work would be ongoing during their cruise. One on the board inquired about a switch to the Breakaway and was told their penalty would be 50% of the fare :mad::mad::mad:

Moderno wasn't eliminated, it was moved upstairs, next Cagney's...in a larger, more private location. It opened in the new location on 11/22.

What was the space occupied by the Blue Lagoon and Moderno on deck 8 has been converted to O'Sheehans, a modernized, updated, larger version of the Blue Lagoon that's been very well received on the Epic, Breakaway and Getaway. You'll find most of what was previously available on the Blue Lagoon, plus more, in O'Sheehan's. It opened 11/22.

The Tortola port call was dropped because the cruise pier in Tortola is unusable because it's being rebuilt. It's something totally out of NCL's control.

If you did your homework you wouldn't be crying about being "hoodwinked".

Edited by njhorseman

The Blue Lagoon is terrible. Not missing a thing there. I was surprised by the food there and not in a good way. I heard stuff about NCL having not so good food, but the main dining room and Cagney's were excellent. But Blue lagoon, we all just left a few bites in and decided to just go buy some sushi.

Edited by NolaZach

Disagree with both posts. NCL should have advisd those booking that construction would be ongoing and all of those in our party really liked the Blue Lagoon food. You know what they say about opinions. Is Osheenahans free like Blue Lagoon or is there a charge.

Disagree with both posts. NCL should have advisd those booking that construction would be ongoing and all of those in our party really liked the Blue Lagoon food. You know what they say about opinions. Is Osheenahans free like Blue Lagoon or is there a charge.

Construction will be completed long before 1/2 cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Construction is done NOW. Will have no impact on your cruise except having a better bigger free 24hr dining option that still serves many of the Blue Lagoon favorites and so much more.

Construction is done NOW. Will have no impact on your cruise except having a better bigger free 24hr dining option that still serves many of the Blue Lagoon favorites and so much more.

I'd feel hoodwinked, if they did this to me.

;)

We ate at Blue Lagoon twice during our Dawn cruise. Once for breakfast, which was fair at best, and once for lunch, which was pretty good.

Have not had the opportunity to try O'Sheehan's yet. First opportunity will by my upcoming (364 days from this posting) Epic cruise. However, I have heard very much positive feedback about it, so I am looking forward to the visit.

Shame on NCL for providing upgrades like this so close to departure without asking for a fare supplement!

OP as others have said, construction will be over when you cruise. On your other post yesterday you said: "Tortola was only scheduled as ahalf a day so I really don't understand how eliminating it is such a major impact. If in fact they do give everyone a $100.00 OBC thats a pretty fair compensation."

So on one post your happy with $100 and now you feel hoodwinked? I don't understand?:confused:

I just read your post about NCL dropped the port of Tortola for the ten day sailing to the caribbean from NYC... I am on the December 13, 2015 sailing on the same itinerary 10 day Eastern Caribbean Sailing...our last port of call was to be Tortola... Do you know if this port of call is dropped for good?

I just read your post about NCL dropped the port of Tortola for the ten day sailing to the caribbean from NYC... I am on the December 13, 2015 sailing on the same itinerary 10 day Eastern Caribbean Sailing...our last port of call was to be Tortola... Do you know if this port of call is dropped for good?

Looks like some ships are tendering in Tortola. Perhaps only one ship at a time can tender ? If two ships were initially scheduled to call on Tortola on the same day, one has to cancel.

Looks like some ships are tendering in Tortola. Perhaps only one ship at a time can tender ? If two ships were initially scheduled to call on Tortola on the same day, one has to cancel.

If the Gem was there for a full day rather then just a few hours tendering would be an option. They would barely have time to get everyone off the ship and back on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

for my oct carribean gem cruise, I was credited with $100 obc for tortola being skipped.

$550 - 100 = (sorta) $450 for my 11day cruise (including taxes!) :D

and construction didn't start till my cruise ended. (but I've don't eat at blue lagoon anyway.)

but yeah, I was surprised to hear about major construction going on during a cruise

Just back from cruise to Bahamas on the Gem. I have to admit it was a CAS cruise so I only paid port fees and taxes still over $300. I was very disappointed in the work going on in the Blue Lagoon very loud at times. They were also replacing the rug on the stairways and also in the hallway in front of our room which was pretty much all day affair. I was stepping over padding and rugs and workers. If I had paid full price I definitely would have complained but I guess I got what I paid for. The whole cruise seemed more like a camping trip.