Name on documentation?

cruisetraveler2

My son recently got married. He and his wife want to book a cruise. Her married name is on her drivers license but maiden name is on her passport. What name should she use when booking the cruise. I know that name needs to match documentation so would marriage license be required if she uses the passport? There will not be time to get a new passport before the cruise. Thanks for your help!

My son recently got married. He and his wife want to book a cruise. Her married name is on her drivers license but maiden name is on her passport. What name should she use when booking the cruise. I know that name needs to match documentation so would marriage license be required if she uses the passport? There will not be time to get a new passport before the cruise. Thanks for your help!

My son just got married in August. He booked the plane tix with her maiden name to match her passport. I think they had a copy of the marriage cert with them as well.

She can book it in her married name and bring her marriage license to show the name change for the passport.

Or she can book it in her maiden name and present her passport only.

Book with the name on the passport. Other documentation won't be required so no one will see the drivers license etc. The passport is the document hat needs to match the traveller. We've been going through this for 4 years, since the wedding.

Book under the "legal" name. and tell them to fix their ID pronto. If the passport is not back in time, use the BC and Marriage License for ID.

It is very easy (and free) to update the passport. Follow the directions on the state department website and mail it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Assuming we're talking about a US passport, getting a new passport with a new name does have a cost , UNLESS the old passport was issued within the last 12 months. In that case, the name change has no cost.

Book with the name on the passport. Other documentation won't be required so no one will see the drivers license etc. The passport is the document hat needs to match the traveller. We've been going through this for 4 years, since the wedding.

I agree. I got married 3 years ago. I am currently on the Freedom and had to book in my maiden name because I have not changed my passport yet. The one time my PVP booked me under my married name all my stuff had to be changed when I checked in.

If you are cruising with a passport the name on the passport must match the name you are booked under.

My DW still has old passport but now we are married. We've already booked 2 other cruises with her new name and bring the passport and our marriage certificate stapled into it. We never got stopped and it has never been a problem. Passport to marriage certificate shows continuity that she is who she says she is.

A note....when she DOES change her name, put her maiden name as her middle name....that bridges any "gaps" in identification. So, if she's Mary Lou Smith, and marries Bobby Jones, she should list her name as Mary Smith Jones. Saves a TON of hassle!

A note....when she DOES change her name, put her maiden name as her middle name....that bridges any "gaps" in identification. So, if she's Mary Lou Smith, and marries Bobby Jones, she should list her name as Mary Smith Jones. Saves a TON of hassle!

My passport has my original middle name and maiden name as my middle name. As in: First name: Norma; Middle name: Jeane Mortenson; Last name: DiMaggio.

Well, yes, and make sure you don't hyphenate.

DH can never remember my "legal" name (which is hyphenated: maiden-married) and books me under married name only. Passport and DL are both in legal, hyphenated name. Will we have any issues (it's too late to change any documentation but perhaps we can change reservation to reflect legal name?)

There is no law that says you have to change your name when you get married! The only rule is that your airplane ticket or cruise document must match your ID soooo if you use your passport then the name on the passport is the one that must match the name on the other documents.

It is very easy (and free) to update the passport. Follow the directions on the state department website and mail it in.

It's been at least 10 years since it was "easy and free" to change a name on a passport. Probably closer to 12.

You should not do that if that isn't your legal name. My passport can't legally say Jane smith jones, because my legal name is Jane Mary Jones, and I used to be Jane Mary Smith.

Several ports will ask for ID along with S&S card to re-enter the pier. If she uses her maiden name which is on her passport, then she should carry her passport off the ship for ID instead of her driver's license which has her married name on it.

We have been checked at several ports and they check IDs against the S&S cards. Somebody will probably post on here that it is incorrect but it has happened to us in Cozumel and St Croix.

I cruise in my maiden name because it matches my passport and I still have 6 years left before it needs renewed. I briefly thought about getting a new one after we got married, but decided against spending the money to do so. So far I've only went on one cruise (more coming up!) but I had zero problems using my maiden name as long as I used my passport as my official (and only) form of identification. Sure I had my DL with me, but I didn't bring or need my marriage cert or birth cert at all. As far as they were concerned, my last name was my maiden name because that's what my booking and passport said.

Edit: I will add that my legal married name is hyphenated, so it's Sara Maiden-Married, and that is what's on my DL. Although I didn't have to use any other form of identification beyond my passport and my name on there matched my booking name, but if I did have to use my DL, at least my maiden name is on there. Not sure if that counts for anything and it probably doesn't when speaking in terms of customs and what not but thought I'd throw that out there.

Edited by iheartmarshall

I'm going through the same thing. We got married in October and will be taking our honeymoon cruise in May. I completely forgot about the passport thing until my husband brought it up yesterday. From what I can understand it costs $110 because you have to get an entirely new passport.