Cagney's Steak House and Moderno Restaurant

momof02kidz

Both Cagney's and Moderno are well worth the price. Be sure to bring a big appetite to Moderno, as they keep coming around with the meats to be carved. We ate at Cagney's on the Pearl and was well worth the price. Steak was cooked just right and very tender. Deserts are also very good there. Happy Eating to you!

IMHO I like Le Bistro more than the other two.

Have done the Argentine thing once and even though I am a large man,

it was a little bit of an overkill having all that meat coming at you.

I think Le Bistro has a more interesting menu with a range of choices.

By the way, the mushroom soup is dynamite. Still waiting for DW to let me get the chocolate fondue and cheese board.

Anybody go to Cagney's or Moderno Restaurant or the French place?? Please let me know if both are worth to pay for and what you recommend.

In my experience Cagney's and Moderno are definitely worth the price, personally I don't find Le Bistro's menu interesting at all. But as said, these are personal opinions.

All three are amongst the most liked/recommended speciality restaurants here on board.

Have eaten at all three and they are different vibes. Le Bistro is a good place for couples, the food has more variety, and to me the steak compares well with Cagney's, plus the cover is cheaper. Cagney's is a very nice steak house on the order of an expensive steak house in the city and works well with a couple or a group. Moderno is a great place to take a group, lots of food, and meat, meat, meat. My Mom who is not a big meat eater actually liked Moderno the best because of the variety. And not being a big meat eater myself, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I like my meat well done and they brought out well done special for me - excellent service.

All the food is excellent. If you can try all 3 that would be great. If you can only do 2, then do Le Bistro and one of the other two - they are in the same restaurant space for a reason:)

We ate at Moderno last week on Breakaway and really, really enjoyed it. Delicious. Beat the pants off of the Royal Caribbean equivalent (Samba Grill on Allure) we tried in May.

Edited by Dave85

All three are worth it

I would skip Teppanyaki

Sorry folks this is my opinion

I know a lot love it but i hated the whole entire experience including rude patrons and bad food

I have to agree... pass on Teppanyaki. Way too much garlic in the fried rice... my eyes were burning from the fumes. However, I will say the Green Tea Cake & Ice Cream was superb.

The "duo of duck" - a breast and a confit - at Le Bistro is excellent.

Moderno - is very good, good lamb chops, great salad/cheese/salami bar, whatever the strange beef cut they offer is (I forget the name, eta: I googled it, it's the rump cap) = delicious. So is the cinnamon dusted pineapple.

Cagney's is a decent steak house - not as good as a Ruth's Chris or Mortons, let alone better ones, but decent nonetheless.

For my upcoming cruise with the UDP I hope to do Cagney's x3, Le Bistro x3, Moderno x2, plus a TBD

Edited by socsthecat

Way too much garlic in the fried rice...

That was my experience too last week. I thought the filet mignon was mediocre, but the seafood was delicious. We enjoyed the meal overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by Dave85

Anybody go to Cagney's or Moderno Restaurant or the French place?? Please let me know if both are worth to pay for and what you recommend.

Thanks!

Folks go to all three and some:

Love it

Like it

See no reason

Never go.

Some say it is well worth it and go twice. Some never do it.

They are all worth the price. Sometimes NCL offers a three meal package in specialty restaurants for $59 pp.

If you eat at Moderno, make sure you save room for the lamb and sausages, they are super.

Don't forget the other specialty restaurants, we love the Japanese/Chinese. Even the Italian is not bad.

We're in the definite minority on this, but we feel Cagney's is overpriced at $30pp. It was barely worth $25pp and should be priced at $20 to attract us again. In my experience, with four Cagney's on four different ships, the steak was on a par with a steakhouse like Outback or Longhorns, and definitely not up to the standard of Morton's or Ruth's Chris'.

Moderno was fun, and the meat very tasty, and we now consider it our "must do" extra charge restaurant. The secret to eating at Moderno is to eat very small portions of the meats so you can sample them all.

When considering the price of the specialty restaurants, I consider the option I didn't take in the price; I value the MDR food at about $12pp. So the "true cost", in this sense, is $42 pp for Cagney's. Way too much for ungraded beef and cold sides.

We're in the definite minority on this, but we feel Cagney's is overpriced at $30pp. It was barely worth $25pp and should be priced at $20 to attract us again. In my experience, with four Cagney's on four different ships, the steak was on a par with a steakhouse like Outback or Longhorns, and definitely not up to the standard of Morton's or Ruth's Chris'.

Moderno was fun, and the meat very tasty, and we now consider it our "must do" extra charge restaurant. The secret to eating at Moderno is to eat very small portions of the meats so you can sample them all.

When considering the price of the specialty restaurants, I consider the option I didn't take in the price; I value the MDR food at about $12pp. So the "true cost", in this sense, is $42 pp for Cagney's. Way too much for ungraded beef and cold sides.

We thought that Gagney's was a step above Outback.

Come on Ruth Chris' is in another class and about three times the cost of Longhorn or Outback.

I had the lamb one night and the bison steak the other night and they were worth the price. Also, we didn't pay $30 since NCL's three meal package was $59.

We thought that Gagney's was a step above Outback.

Come on Ruth Chris' is in another class and about three times the cost of Longhorn or Outback.

I had the lamb one night and the bison steak the other night and they were worth the price. Also, we didn't pay $30 since NCL's three meal package was $59.

Will the Star offer the $59 deal?

I have to agree... pass on Teppanyaki. Way too much garlic in the fried rice... my eyes were burning from the fumes. However, I will say the Green Tea Cake & Ice Cream was superb.

I skip the rice and go for veggies. I pay extra for all butter lobster. No soy.

Delicious.

I would personally go for Cagney's or Le Bistro. We just ate at Moderno this week, and to me it was very underwhelming. The salad bar was very good, but the meat was not seasoned and had little or no flavor. The 2 side "sauces" that they served with it were pretty tasteless as well. It was basically flabby meat, no char, no spice, no soul. Since we paid for that out of our on board credit, it made it a little easier to accept, but I would be been very disappointed if I had paid for it out of pocket.

Outback and longhorns ???? No way. I wish those restaurants even came close . I am always amazed at how subjective food is.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Forums mobile app

I definitely agree that food is so subjective. We eat monthly after church at LongHorns and Cagney is not just an Outback or LongHorn. These steaks are cooked really well. Moderno is an experience in and of itself just like LeBistro. The grilled pineapple and the coconut flan were amazing at Moderno. The truffle fries and at Cagney's were also special. But again some people love it,some think its ok others disagree. We enjoyed 2 meals at Cagney's, 1 at Moderno. We would eat at both again.