Drinking water availability

CalgaryMac

While some cruisers claim that the tap water in restaurants and bars tastes different from what comes out of the cabin bathroom, it is all, in fact, the same water."

Some cruises -- like me -- claim that the drinking water in the lido and dining rooms is taste filtered,

while that in the cabin bathroom is not.

Same water. Possibly different taste.

Some cruises -- like me -- claim that the drinking water in the lido and dining rooms is taste filtered,

while that in the cabin bathroom is not.

Same water. Possibly different taste.

While it is the same water, the water from the drink dispensers in the buffet, the bar guns, and the water dispensers in the wait stations in the dining venues is filtered through a carbon filter. It is not done for taste, but because the chlorine can cause maintenance issues with these dispensers. Some can taste the difference, some can't, some can taste the chlorine in the sink water, some can't.

Sounds excellent.

The part I question is posts blithely claiming that shipboard water is better than what anyone has at home.

To state this, they would have to know what EVERYONE has at home, and its quality.

Not at all likely that they have any basis for this.

Most of the posts are "I like princess, therefore the water is fantastic. Rah. Rah. Rah."

(except for your posts, which are well reasoned)

Well, while I don't have quantitative data, let me say a few things that make the shipboard water potentially better than municipal water:

1. You don't have pipes buried underground subject to leakage.

2. Your water source does not have to deal with road salt, yet the ship is designed to remove more salt than a municipal water supply.

3. Your municipal supply chlorinates at the source, and sends the water on a one way trip down the pipes, where it may sit stationary long enough to dissipate the residual chlorine necessary for sanitation. Shipboard systems continually recirculate the water and monitor the residual chlorine at the furthest point from the pumps, and doses chlorine accordingly to ensure that there is a constant residual chlorine content to ensure proper sanitation.

Strongly recommend buying a Brita bottle. We have used them for years on cruises and vacations. It has a filter in the bottle itself so you can fill from a drinking fountain in port and feel ok drinking it. They run under $10 at any big box store or online retailer :) and come in fun colors!

I won't dispute what that poster claimed, because I was not there, and neither were you, so whether or not there actually was diesel in the water is unproven.

And while I do not have water quality reports, the USPH does monitor the water quality on the ships, and the records of tests taken must be kept for review by the USPH inspectors. Water is tested monthly, at six random locations around the ship, for clarity, Ph, chlorine, and bacteria, as well as the tanks being tested monthly. In addition, the chlorine content for water being loaded in port, the water being produced onboard, and the water circulating around the ship is continually monitored and recorded on charts, for review by USPH inspectors. The water sources used to load water in ports must be tested (at the hydrant being used, not at the municipal facility) every month for it to be considered safe to use, and the ship requests and keeps copies of these shore testing results.

Similarly, the required design and construction of potable water systems, as mandated not only by USPH, but by the classification societies requires that there is no cross-connection from any other system onboard the ship, so introduction of diesel fuel into the water is highly unlikely. To further this, every water outlet on the ship has a "backflow preventer" to keep possibly contaminated water from flowing back into the ship's piping system when that system is depressurized. These water outlets include: every toilet, every shower (shower heads are a source of legionella), every dishwashing machine, every laundry machine, and every hose faucet on deck. Think about your home and whether or not you have these protective devices, and whether they are tested on an annual basis, as the thousands of backflow preventers on the ship have to be.

Thank you for the info. I have a question for you. During the processing of the water on board, are there minerals added back into it? Are the minerals (if added) the same percentages as faucet water in the US? Is there a range that they use? I find that the water on board most ship seems softer than what I am using at home. My hair does not need conditioner while on board ship. While at home I would not be able to get a comb through it with out conditioner. Thank for the info.

Thank you for the info. I have a question for you. During the processing of the water on board, are there minerals added back into it? Are the minerals (if added) the same percentages as faucet water in the US? Is there a range that they use? I find that the water on board most ship seems softer than what I am using at home. My hair does not need conditioner while on board ship. While at home I would not be able to get a comb through it with out conditioner. Thank for the info.

The only "minerals" added to the water is calcium carbonate (the main ingredient in Tums), which as an antacid is used to balance the pH to get the proper pH range for the chlorine to work optimally as a sanitizing agent. So, yes, depending on how much municipal water is taken onboard (some ships none, some ships like the Norwegian Sky because of its short itinerary, 100%) the water will be softer than most municipal or well water.

My water at home doesn't smell like diesel fuel.

Sometimes chlorine, but never diesel.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51871437&postcount=6

I think the water on ships is fine, but I'd sure like to see posters who claim the water is wonderful

back up their claims with some links to water analysis reports.

I think water analysis reports would eb great too, As they would probably defeat many of those who say there MIGHT be a problem with the water. But who would be willing to take all those samples and then have them analysed to get such a report along with paying for them. The water out of the taps on the ships are perfectly safe to drink as there have been very few proven hazards or problems shown caused from this water. But each to their own.

This is an unanswerable and meaningless question even if the data was available since the TDS level in different water systems varies tremendously over the US.

As per this reference, the EPA has enforceable standards and recommended standards for drinking water -

"EPA has established National Primary Drinking Water Regulationsadd_definitions_icon_popup_help.pngNational Primary Drinking Water RegulationsLegally enforceable standards that apply to public water systems. These standards protect drinking water quality by limiting the levels of specific contaminants that can adversely affect public health and which are known or anticipated to occur in public water supplies. (NPDWRs) that set mandatory water quality standards for drinking water contaminants. These are enforceable standards called "maximum contaminant leveladd_definitions_icon_popup_help.pngmaximum contaminant levelThe highest level of a contaminant that is allowed in drinking water as delineated by the National Primary Drinking Water Regulations. These levels are based on consideration of health risks, technical feasibility of treatment, and cost-benefit analysis.s" (MCLs) which are established to protect the public against consumption of drinking water contaminants that present a risk to human health. An MCL is the maximum allowable amount of a contaminant in drinking water which is delivered to the consumer.

In addition, EPA has established National Secondary Drinking Water Regulations (NSDWRs) that set non-mandatory water quality standards for 15 contaminants. EPA does not enforce these "secondary maximum contaminant levels" (SMCLs). They are established as guidelines to assist public water systems in managing their drinking water for aesthetic considerations, such as taste, color, and odor. These contaminants are not considered to present a risk to human health at the SMCL.

While SMCLs are not federally enforceable, EPA requires a special notice for exceedance of the fluoride SMCL of 2.0 mg/L. Community water systems that exceed the fluoride SMCL of 2 mg/L, but do not exceed the MCL of 4.0 mg/L for fluoride, must provide public notice to persons served no later than 12 months from the day the water system learns of the exceedance (40 CFR 141.208)."

Note that the recommended maximum lSMCL evel for TDS is 500 mg/L although a water system can deliver water with higher TDS levels and still be in compliance with federal regulations. Since you want the levels of TDS to be the same as they are in faucet water in the US, you have to tell us exactly where in the US you live. For example, the TDS levels in Westminster Colorado which has "soft" water is 168-228 ppm. The levels in Las Vegas where I live part of the year and which has "hard" water is 633 ppm which is above the SMCL level of 500 ppm. I like the taste of New York City water. The levels of TDS in NYC water is 500 ppm.

In addition to knowing the total TDS, you also have to the composition of the TDS. Depending upon where the water comes from, the chemical composition of the TDS can vary greatly even if the total TDS is the same. Again to compare the levels of one element in 2 systems, the average level in magnesium in Las Vegas water is 26 ppm while the average level of magnesium is 2.5 ppm. That is a 10 fold difference. Which level do you want the ship water to be at - 2.5 or 26 ppm. BTW - both are acceptable as there are no federal standards for magnesium in water although the state of Nevada has a maximum allowed level of 150 ppm.

So in other words, your seemingly simple request that the minerals be added in at "the same percentages as faucet water in the US" is far more complicated than you can imagine.

Hope this helps and does not confuse.

DON

This is an unanswerable and meaningless question even if the data was available since the TDS level in different water systems varies tremendously over the US.

As per this reference, the EPA has enforceable standards and recommended standards for drinking water -

"EPA has established National Primary Drinking Water Regulationsadd_definitions_icon_popup_help.pngNational Primary Drinking Water RegulationsLegally enforceable standards that apply to public water systems. These standards protect drinking water quality by limiting the levels of specific contaminants that can adversely affect public health and which are known or anticipated to occur in public water supplies. (NPDWRs) that set mandatory water quality standards for drinking water contaminants. These are enforceable standards called "maximum contaminant leveladd_definitions_icon_popup_help.pngmaximum contaminant levelThe highest level of a contaminant that is allowed in drinking water as delineated by the National Primary Drinking Water Regulations. These levels are based on consideration of health risks, technical feasibility of treatment, and cost-benefit analysis.s" (MCLs) which are established to protect the public against consumption of drinking water contaminants that present a risk to human health. An MCL is the maximum allowable amount of a contaminant in drinking water which is delivered to the consumer.

In addition, EPA has established National Secondary Drinking Water Regulations (NSDWRs) that set non-mandatory water quality standards for 15 contaminants. EPA does not enforce these "secondary maximum contaminant levels" (SMCLs). They are established as guidelines to assist public water systems in managing their drinking water for aesthetic considerations, such as taste, color, and odor. These contaminants are not considered to present a risk to human health at the SMCL.

While SMCLs are not federally enforceable, EPA requires a special notice for exceedance of the fluoride SMCL of 2.0 mg/L. Community water systems that exceed the fluoride SMCL of 2 mg/L, but do not exceed the MCL of 4.0 mg/L for fluoride, must provide public notice to persons served no later than 12 months from the day the water system learns of the exceedance (40 CFR 141.208)."

Note that the recommended maximum lSMCL evel for TDS is 500 mg/L although a water system can deliver water with higher TDS levels and still be in compliance with federal regulations. Since you want the levels of TDS to be the same as they are in faucet water in the US, you have to tell us exactly where in the US you live. For example, the TDS levels in Westminster Colorado which has "soft" water is 168-228 ppm. The levels in Las Vegas where I live part of the year and which has "hard" water is 633 ppm which is above the SMCL level of 500 ppm. I like the taste of New York City water. The levels of TDS in NYC water is 500 ppm.

In addition to knowing the total TDS, you also have to the composition of the TDS. Depending upon where the water comes from, the chemical composition of the TDS can vary greatly even if the total TDS is the same. Again to compare the levels of one element in 2 systems, the average level in magnesium in Las Vegas water is 26 ppm while the average level of magnesium is 2.5 ppm. That is a 10 fold difference. Which level do you want the ship water to be at - 2.5 or 26 ppm. BTW - both are acceptable as there are no federal standards for magnesium in water although the state of Nevada has a maximum allowed level of 150 ppm.

So in other words, your seemingly simple request that the minerals be added in at "the same percentages as faucet water in the US" is far more complicated than you can imagine.

Hope this helps and does not confuse.

DON

Thanks for the info. I knew if would vary from place to place, but I thought it would fall in a range some what like the ship water. . I also like the taste on NYC tap water.

Thank you for taking the time for you great answer to my meaningless question.:)

Just to throw a monkey wench into the answer: the EPA is a U.S. agency, enforcing their policies in the U.S.. If you're on a foreign-flagged ship sailing out of a non-U.S. port, those standards don't necessarily apply:D;p

Just to throw a monkey wench into the answer: the EPA is a U.S. agency, enforcing their policies in the U.S.. If you're on a foreign-flagged ship sailing out of a non-U.S. port, those standards don't necessarily apply:D;p

No argument but my long and detailed post was in response to this statement in the post "Are the minerals (if added) the same percentages as faucet water in the US?" which implied that there was some sort of standard level of TDS in US faucet water.

DON

Just putting in my recent experience. We were on the latest TA on the Caribbean Princess-First cruise following the dry dock. I have always felt safe drinking stateroom water. For some reason, on the second day I looked closely at the sink tap water when it first started (Probably did not have my eyes open the first day :-) ) The water ran a dark chocolate color for about 5 seconds and then cleared. OK, I thought the pipes probably needed to be cleaned following the dry dock. Next day, same problem. Now how to capture?? 4th day I take a glass and capture the dark brown water and take it to Passenger Services Desk- Of course they were surprised and would have somebody check it out. We got a report that evening that all was taken care of. 5th day the water is still colored, captured a glassful and back to PSD. Now they decide that we have to move out of that cabin (aft facing balcony that we had booked a year earlier just to get that cabin) for a day so they can fix the problem. OK, they tried to move us to a "better" balcony (It wasn't) just for the day. At the end of the day it is decided that the "bad" pipes are behind the shower and we need to be out longer. Mind you this is a 14 day cruise with many sea days early, hence our desire and willingness to pay premium prices for the Premium balcony. As we are coming into Cork, it is decided that we will not get to go back to our cabin so should unpack our suitcases and make ourselves at home in the cabin we have been moved to. Did the water ever clear in our original cabin?? Do not know but do know that, for at least that trip, cabin water was not drinkable.

They don't?? Oh no!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

Tony

We get our AMAZING quality drinking water right from the Charles River in Boston were the rowboat is kept. Nothing but the best for my friends ;) :D. The boiler room guys only make Champagne. It's the BEST!!!

From the Captain of the Rowboat,

Tony

Edited by Lucky TGO

Chengkp75.

Thank you for the info. Do you know it the water is treated the same way on older ship, like Ocean Princess and Pacific?

All ships' water is treated the same, it hasn't changed in decades (at least the 4 decades I've been sailing). Those ships that call at US ports must meet the USPH VSP (Vessel Sanitation Program) for water sanitation. Those that call at European ports must meet the EU's ShipSan sanitation requirements. At all other places, it is up to the flag state to have requirements, or in the absence of flag state requirements, it falls to the WHO's ship sanitation code.

Exactly. Especially that the EPA doesn't govern the cruise lines. lol

While not a prime agency involved, in fact the EPA does have effect on cruise lines. Germane to this discussion, any water loaded in a US port must be from a hydrant which has been tested within the past month (from the hydrant, not the municipal source) to meet EPA safe drinking water standards.

Not germane to this discussion, the EPA regulates the exhaust emissions of ships while in US ports, and has authorized the USCG to inspect the fuel records of all ships to ensure that they are meeting the sulfur requirements for fuel set by the EPA for the US ECA (Emissions Control Area), which extends out 200 miles to sea.

Just putting in my recent experience. We were on the latest TA on the Caribbean Princess-First cruise following the dry dock. I have always felt safe drinking stateroom water. For some reason, on the second day I looked closely at the sink tap water when it first started (Probably did not have my eyes open the first day :-) ) The water ran a dark chocolate color for about 5 seconds and then cleared. OK, I thought the pipes probably needed to be cleaned following the dry dock. Next day, same problem. Now how to capture?? 4th day I take a glass and capture the dark brown water and take it to Passenger Services Desk- Of course they were surprised and would have somebody check it out. We got a report that evening that all was taken care of. 5th day the water is still colored, captured a glassful and back to PSD. Now they decide that we have to move out of that cabin (aft facing balcony that we had booked a year earlier just to get that cabin) for a day so they can fix the problem. OK, they tried to move us to a "better" balcony (It wasn't) just for the day. At the end of the day it is decided that the "bad" pipes are behind the shower and we need to be out longer. Mind you this is a 14 day cruise with many sea days early, hence our desire and willingness to pay premium prices for the Premium balcony. As we are coming into Cork, it is decided that we will not get to go back to our cabin so should unpack our suitcases and make ourselves at home in the cabin we have been moved to. Did the water ever clear in our original cabin?? Do not know but do know that, for at least that trip, cabin water was not drinkable.

I've seen "brown" water on cruise ships in the past (too many cruises don't remember specifics) and had to use bottle water to brush my teeth. This is why no matter how many people say the water is fine to drink, I always purchase bottle water.

I'm not denying that the water looked unpleasant, and was unpleasant to contemplate drinking, but I would say that it was most likely safe to drink.

The calcium carbonate and chlorine used to treat the water tends to build a scale on the inside of the pipes, and this scale is unnoticed as long as the pipes are filled with water. When the pipes are drained for maintenance/repair like in the shipyard, this scale will dry out and break loose from the pipe. When the water is returned to the pipes, this scale will mostly dissolve, and cause a yellow to brown discoloration of the water. Since the water in the mains that run down the passageways is constantly recirculating, this discoloration quickly clears. However, the "static" legs of water between the mains and your sink/shower/toilet, which don't move any water until you open the tap, will tend to collect the discolored water. Depending on how far your cabin's static leg is from the main to the tap, the water can clear in seconds (as your's did) to a minute or two. Again, the water from the dispensers in the dining venues, bars, and ice machines will all filter out this discoloration, so you don't see it there.

This is a fairly common occurrence when repairing ship's pipes, and I'm not sure why they said there were "bad pipes", but again, many times the real reason gets muddled between the technical folks and the front of the house.