Air Question

I need some help in researching air possibilities from home city to cruise embarkation. We are trying to decide about taking a specific cruise and want to see what choices might be available before making a deposit. Our great TA has already found put what airlines Regent has contracts with and might use. The best choice which is a on-stop has a hefty surcharge.

I thought some of the more experienced air travelers might tell me what are the best search engines. I have tried Kayak and Trip Advisor but thought there might be something better.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure when your cruise is but if it's quite a ways away, Regent likely hasn't firmed up annual contracts with particular airlines. Others here may be able to help better than myself. To the best of my knowledge in the past they have often had contracts with UAL, AA, BA, Delta, Lufthansa,KLM, Air Canada, maybe Cathay Pacific...I'm sure there's others. You may want to contact the Regent Air Dept. at 877-722-7772. I have called them several times and they've been very helpful.

There's also a "stickey" topic on the top of this page that may be helpful.

Edited by petlover

I need some help in researching air possibilities from home city to cruise embarkation. We are trying to decide about taking a specific cruise and want to see what choices might be available before making a deposit. Our great TA has already found put what airlines Regent has contracts with and might use. The best choice which is a on-stop has a hefty surcharge.

I thought some of the more experienced air travelers might tell me what are the best search engines. I have tried Kayak and Trip Advisor but thought there might be something better.

The absolute best site is http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ It includes airlines you have never heard of but, excludes for instance Southwest. It actually is the search engine that travel agents and many airlines use. They also provide specific sites for many major airlines.

Searching is easy with lots of options the only thing you can't do is book on this site but, it will give you every option flying from LA as don't believe you are going anywhere that Southwest flies to.

Sometimes it asks you to login but, that is simple and doesn't commit you to anything including spam e-mails. Many many knowledgeable people on CC highly recommend it. Any of the commercial sites you can book at like Kayak, Expedia, Orbitz, etc. give you some flights but, none of them match itasoftware.

Good luck,

The absolute best site is http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ It includes airlines you have never heard of but, excludes for instance Southwest. It actually is the search engine that travel agents and many airlines use. They also provide specific sites for many major airlines.

Searching is easy with lots of options the only thing you can't do is book on this site but, it will give you every option flying from LA as don't believe you are going anywhere that Southwest flies to.

Sometimes it asks you to login but, that is simple and doesn't commit you to anything including spam e-mails. Many many knowledgeable people on CC highly recommend it. Any of the commercial sites you can book at like Kayak, Expedia, Orbitz, etc. give you some flights but, none of them match itasoftware.

Good luck,

rallydave is correct. itasoftware is the best site to do research on !! Google flights is is also another option. Believe Google owns ITA. but it looks different.

http://www.google.com/flights/

If you use this site . It will give you a range of flights and costs for your dates.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Keep in mind that airlines normally start selling about 330 days before any given travel date.

Thank you one and all for the wonderful advice. It is exactly what I was looking for. The cruise is in December so the information I need should be available. I was fairly certain that there was something better than what I was using.

Ann

Thank you one and all for the wonderful advice. It is exactly what I was looking for. The cruise is in December so the information I need should be available. I was fairly certain that there was something better than what I was using.

Ann

Keep in mind that in some cases the airfare from cruises lines is a better deal. If your flying in the same day. Many (not all) will hold the ship (if enough are delayed) or fly you to the next port of call.

Cruises lines some times not always might have better fares.

I like to do my own research. I tend to be a hands-on kind of person. My excellent TA and her team are very patient with me and will take care of any request I make.

We will use cruise air because the cost is excellent. I am more interested in schedule and quality of airline.

I prefer yapta.com. By using the filters, we can find the fastest flight, shortest layovers, etc,. Cost isn't really an issue because, like you, we have free deviation. We have a great TA that we use for cruising - other TA's specialize in land vacations or flights....... IMO, all-in-one TA's may be okay but we prefer one that specializes in what we need.

We generally find our preferred flights on yapta.com, send them to our TA who in turns contact Regent (first choice, second choice, etc). After so many cruises, we have a fairly good idea of which airlines Regent has contracts with. We are booking a flight later this month (Barcelona to Miami for next year). When we found the flight that we wanted (on BA), I was so confident that we would get the flight that we wanted that I only sent them one choice.

Cost isn't really an issue because, like you, we have free deviation /QUOTE]

Can someone please explain to me what 'free deviation' is? I have seen it mentioned several times.

I am new to Regent, cruising on the Voyager in August, but am a cruising veteran.

Grandma,

In the US, an air deviation costs $175.00 per person. However, passengers who have sailed 200+ nights with Regent get one air deviation without charge per cruise. Hope this helps.

Grandma,

In the US, an air deviation costs $175.00 per person. However, passengers who have sailed 200+ nights with Regent get one air deviation without charge per cruise. Hope this helps.

Dave, thanks so much for explaining the "free deviation". I really should have included that information in my post. We are Titanium Seven Seas Society members which entitles us to the one free air deviation (which works perfectly). The "one" includes flight(s) going to the port of embarkation as well as your flight(s) home. Great perk!

Edited by Travelcat2

Good luck,

I too LOVE using the Matrix site for searching for flights although the times I've used it were when I booked with Regent Air. My question...since you can not book on this site, is it difficult to find travel agencies who still book airline tickets? I'm currently looking at an open jaw itinerary. I spoke to a Delta representative that is bewildered at the Matrix fare.

I too LOVE using the Matrix site for searching for flights although the times I've used it were when I booked with Regent Air. My question...since you can not book on this site, is it difficult to find travel agencies who still book airline tickets? I'm currently looking at an open jaw itinerary. I spoke to a Delta representative that is bewildered at the Matrix fare.

Hi Marcie,

Glad you like the site as well. As far as finding a TA to book your flights. Am sure they still exist. When I last worked we used a travel agency to book our companies flights. There is a charge to book flights at a TA but, last I heard it was about $25. This is because the airlines no longer pay a commission and difficult to ask a business to book a flight and not be paid for their time.

Don't know if you have drilled down on the fare but, if you click the itinerary you want a TA to book, click on the fare and another page will open that includes how the fare is calculated and all of the booking codes for that flight(s). If you look down the page, there is a block called fare construction. It even states that this information is useful for a travel agent to book the flight. By using those fare codes a competent TA and even the airline reservationist should be able to find that fare. Further there is a link to print the page and then bring it to the TA you find who will book for a small service charge. Think most TA's will book flights for you if you pay for their time as they still have the information and will book for people buying packages and should for you for the right price.

Good luck,

Love this site for checking airfare options. If you click on the airfare price box. It will give you the code numbers required to book the airfare.

These are the same numbers that TA's and airlines use for ticketing.

Many TA's still book airline tickets . I could name a feww but not allowed on this site . Just look at the local Yellow Pages for Travel Agencies .

Thanks all. Yes, aware of the Fare Construction, just having some local difficulty finding a TA that books just air (many say only if it's tied into a vacation package. Without receiving a commission anymore, I sure don't blame them.

We live in the US and have been on a few Regent cruises and really appreciate the "free" airfare as our flights have all been fairly long.

I am thinking about inviting my in-laws to join us on a cruise from Miami and they live in South America.

Does anyone know if Regent will provide them with free airfare to and from Miami? I checked the price on cruise dot com versus what Regent shows on its website and it seems to only give $300 credit for airfare on that trip. That seems really low.

We live in the US and have been on a few Regent cruises and really appreciate the "free" airfare as our flights have all been fairly long.

I am thinking about inviting my in-laws to join us on a cruise from Miami and they live in South America.

Does anyone know if Regent will provide them with free airfare to and from Miami? I checked the price on cruise dot com versus what Regent shows on its website and it seems to only give $300 credit for airfare on that trip. That seems really low.

I'd recommend starting a new thread with your specific question, I'm sure you'll get more responses that way. Also, I'd give your travel agent a call and pose your question.

Good luck!