Men's formal wear

Capt_BJ

I looked, I searched, I read and I'm still trying to find a number to call

:rolleyes:

but let's try here . . . we're doing a western crossing in June and since we're using this as a come home transport from a longer EUR stay, I don't plan to carry a tux (or formal uniform)

I see references to formal wear available on the ship and plan to use this service. On other cruises this has been something that was arranged b4 - sending sizes and the like. I find no reference / link / pointer to how this works on QM2 other than "available on board"

Do I need to do anything b4?

We're getting on in Hamburg and there isn't a formal night until after South' but it would easy my simple mind to know!

Buying off the rack and Marks and Spencer is likely to be less expensive than renting and probably similar quality in better condition.
Very good post :) .

Why waste money renting something hundreds may have worn previously, when for less money you could buy new?

I think they rent the suits by the evening, not for the voyage (may be wrong, someone correct me), shirts and bow ties are included or not(?).

Hope this helps.

Very good post :) .

Why waste money renting something hundreds may have worn previously, when for less money you could buy new?

I think they rent the suits by the evening, not for the voyage (may be wrong, someone correct me), shirts and bow ties are included or not(?).

Hope this helps.

I think the rental is for the trip rather than just for the night, I don't know what happens on a WC segment though. M&S is a great option though.

the provided link suggest my rental requirements would cost $250 ...

hmmmmmm

I'm doing the QM as the trip home from a longer EU trip; carrying the dark suit all the way is what I'm trying to avoid.

We have a few days in Hamburg before we board QM so I need to decide if buying a throw away beats renting . . .

thanks for your help

I was mainly concerned if I had to make the decision b4 we boarded; and the answer to that seems to be NO.

the provided link suggest my rental requirements would cost $250 ...

hmmmmmm

I'm doing the QM as the trip home from a longer EU trip; carrying the dark suit all the way is what I'm trying to avoid.

We have a few days in Hamburg before we board QM so I need to decide if buying a throw away beats renting . . .

thanks for your help

I was mainly concerned if I had to make the decision b4 we boarded; and the answer to that seems to be NO.

If this helps you to a decision ~ Current M&S Prices for men's formal wear;

Dinner suit £89.00 ~ Shirt £19.50-£29.50 (depending on collar choice) ~ bow tie £12.50

You can order all 3 items on line in advance & collect them in M&S Southampton when you dock there - that way you will get your required size.

Order them for in store delivery a day or 2 before your expected arrival, that way they will be ready to collect whatever time you decide to go into town.

Have a wonderful trip.

I think the rental is for the trip rather than just for the night, I don't know what happens on a WC segment though. M&S is a great option though.
Thank you cap'n, thought the rental was per "formal night".

I'd still go for the M&S option, if it were me in the same position :) .

If this helps you to a decision ~ Current M&S Prices for men's formal wear;

Dinner suit £89.00 ~ Shirt £19.50-£29.50 (depending on collar choice) ~ bow tie £12.50

You can order all 3 items on line in advance & collect them in M&S Southampton when you dock there - that way you will get your required size.

Order them for in store delivery a day or 2 before your expected arrival, that way they will be ready to collect whatever time you decide to go into town.

Have a wonderful trip.

Excellent suggestion. Plus there are fitting rooms to try on the suit before leaving the store. If you wish to exchange any items, no problem, all resolved in store. Enjoy your cruise.

This is going back a few years, but at that time Tuxedos were available for purchase on QM2. Tailored to fit, and delivered to the stateroom within 24 hours. Price range varied, and the tailoring and service was excellent, according to my husband.

Another alternative, if you already have a Tux, shirts and kit. is to have Cunard White Star luggage service pick up your extra bag in Florida about two weeks before you sail and have it delivered to the ship in Hamburg. I use them all the time for both international and domestic travel. If you can pack light, the cost is less than buying a new TUX, if you already have one. The problem with buying one at M&S is you will likely have to have it tailored, pant length, sleeve length, etc and that takes time and money. I recommend you call White Star at 888 491 0774 for a price quote.