Ebola making a difference in your next cruise?

Sam.Seattle

Kenya? Summer break?

Sounds like a good example of the "hysteria" you referred to earlier.

You beat me to it, RuthC. This is the perfect example of hysteria and ignorance of the medical facts and even geography. Kenya and Burundi where my DIL and grandchildren spent a good part of the summer are in East Africa and no where near the ebola area. My son is a medical doctor and never would have sent his wife and children there if he had the slightest concern about ebola. Plus the 21+ days of incubation is long since over for them and this principal.

You beat me to it, RuthC. This is the perfect example of hysteria and ignorance of the medical facts and even geography. Kenya and Burundi where my DIL and grandchildren spent a good part of the summer are in East Africa and no where near the ebola area. My son is a medical doctor and never would have sent his wife and children there if he had the slightest concern about ebola. Plus the 21+ days of incubation is long since over for them and this principal.

I'm having to backtrack here - reported from memory which in my case appalling.:( It was a Mississipi school, and the country was Zambia.:o Sorry! However, a Maine elementary teacher has been barred from school because she visited Texas. Here's the link:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2799014/ebola-hysteria-sweeps-schools-maine-teacher-visited-dallas-told-not-come-work-21-days-hundreds-mississippi-parents-pull-kids-school-principal-visited-zambia-3-000-miles-countries-hit-disease.html

I'm having to backtrack here - reported from memory which in my case appalling.:( It was a Mississipi school, and the country was Zambia.:o Sorry! However, a Maine elementary teacher has been barred from school because she visited Texas. Here's the link:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2799014/ebola-hysteria-sweeps-schools-maine-teacher-visited-dallas-told-not-come-work-21-days-hundreds-mississippi-parents-pull-kids-school-principal-visited-zambia-3-000-miles-countries-hit-disease.html

Lizzie -

Thanks for the update! Interesting story.

I would hardly call their actions anything but prudent & cautious. Much better to be safe than sorry!

I read about the Maine teacher several days ago but thought there might have been something about a principal/Kenya I missed. No matter- same thing goes for Zambia and Mississippi. Zambia is in southern Africa so the same hysteria applies.

I'm having to backtrack here - reported from memory which in my case appalling.:( It was a Mississipi school, and the country was Zambia.:o Sorry! However, a Maine elementary teacher has been barred from school because she visited Texas. Here's the link:...

Thanks for the correction, Lizzie. So that gives us two examples of "hysteria" instead of one. :rolleyes:

(your got here first this time, peaches. we're even. ;))

Thank you for letting us know of yet another example of stupidity and hysteria. :rolleyes: This post on another forum shows some perspective.

Here is an interesting chart to put the current numbers into some perspective.

JhajSXX_zpsefb41a12.png

The couple across the street are microbiologists. He's now retired but she still works with viruses. She doesn't like to get in the ocean because of "whale poo" (I kid you not) but Ebola isn't even a blip on their travel plans. As I type, they are flying to Walt Disney World (with another microbiologist friend) - a place where people from all over the world visit. December they're off to Vegas, a cruise in January, back to WDW in April... Nope, these informed and educated people don't see any reason for Ebola to alter their plans. According to them, there is SO much more that people should worry about when it come to diseases.

I read about the Maine teacher several days ago but thought there might have been something about a principal/Kenya I missed. No matter- same thing goes for Zambia and Mississippi. Zambia is in southern Africa so the same hysteria applies.

While most of us would agree this is ridiculous, it doesn't change the fact that all over the place people are being held on airplanes for hours and not able to disembark because someone had a cold (as happened in Boston this week on what was a 14 hour flight from Dubai.) Because five passengers, it seems, had a cold the rest of the passengers were held about 3 hours on the plan. I don't want to be caught up in such a scenario.

We're read of all the 'abundance of caution' instances where people's patience is being sorely tested.

Not worth it to me to risk being one of them. Lucky we each get to decide for ourselves.

If one is concerned about flying because they might get stuck on a tarmac, their flying days are LONG over. That possibility has been a fact of flying for years - if not decades. I just googled "passengers stuck on plane for hours" and only one of the hits on the first page had anything to do with Ebola. :rolleyes: Might as well limit yourself to cruises to which you can drive. Of course, then there is the possibility of being stuck in traffic or having a fatal car accident. One option is to shut yourself in your house. You can have necessities delivered in. Then you can wait for a house fire, gas explosion, tree branch to fall on you while you're sleeping....

Living in fear is a choice.

Edited by Mary Ellen

Lizzie -

Thanks for the update! Interesting story.

I would hardly call their actions anything but prudent & cautious. Much better to be safe than sorry!

Oh, OK.:rolleyes:

Personally, I am much more concerned about the ISIS situation, even though that is many miles away. It is the enemy within that scares me.

While most of us would agree this is ridiculous, it doesn't change the fact that all over the place people are being held on airplanes for hours and not able to disembark because someone had a cold (as happened in Boston this week on what was a 14 hour flight from Dubai.) Because five passengers, it seems, had a cold the rest of the passengers were held about 3 hours on the plan. I don't want to be caught up in such a scenario.

We're read of all the 'abundance of caution' instances where people's patience is being sorely tested.

Not worth it to me to risk being one of them. Lucky we each get to decide for ourselves.

I haven't even entered into the discussion of flying at all, so I'm no sure what my post had to do with flying. In the case of the school Principal who visited Zambia, a non-ebola country, longer than 3 weeks ago and the parents pulled their kids out of his school I was just saying there seems to be no risk to the children at all and that is what I would call unwarranted hysteria. I was making no comparisons to any other situations though it is true planes get stuck on the tarmac for a lot of reasons all the time so there is always a risk of it happening to any of us.

. . . that is what I would call unwarranted hysteria. . . .

And yet others are calling it an overabundance of caution. ;)

For instance, yesterday a light rail train station in Dallas was completely shut down and decontaminated. Why? Because a woman spit on the platform who said she had stayed at the same apt. complex (quite some time back -- before he was even there) where Thomas Eric Duncan lived.

Live and let live PLEASE!!!!!

Appreciate different opinions and maybe learn something....

celebrate diversity

Never get GRUMPY, CLOSED MINDED & JUDGMENTAL.....

As for ABOLA.... It scares the life out me! Why, because there is no known cure...

Sorry for the rant, but maybe we can get back to the topic?

Here is some good news!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29683616

Edited by Sam.Seattle

The rational course of action for Americans seeking to ensure they will live long and healthy lives is to get a flu shot, buckle up on the way to the pharmacy and buy a tube of sunscreen while you are there.

The rational course of action for Americans seeking to ensure they will live long and healthy lives is to get a flu shot, buckle up on the way to the pharmacy and buy a tube of sunscreen while you are there.

And lay off the potato chips. :)

Ebola is a non factor IMO. Hopefully this week when there are no cases media will drop it and move on to some other hot trendy topic.

And lay off the potato chips. :)

Ebola is a non factor IMO. Hopefully this week when there are no cases media will drop it and move on to some other hot trendy topic.

Ebola a non-factor? How many people do you think will die tomorrow from the Ebola Virus Disease? Not on a cruise ship, not next door, not in Boston...but in West Africa. Go ahead, take a guess, if you can stand it.

Hot tendy topic indeed.

Thank you for letting us know of yet another example of stupidity and hysteria. :rolleyes: This post on another forum shows some perspective.

The couple across the street are microbiologists. He's now retired but she still works with viruses. She doesn't like to get in the ocean because of "whale poo" (I kid you not) but Ebola isn't even a blip on their travel plans. As I type, they are flying to Walt Disney World (with another microbiologist friend) - a place where people from all over the world visit. December they're off to Vegas, a cruise in January, back to WDW in April... Nope, these informed and educated people don't see any reason for Ebola to alter their plans. According to them, there is SO much more that people should worry about when it come to diseases.

Yeah, like why three adult microbiologist friends would go to Disney World on vacation :confused::D

Edited by Salacia

Ebola a non-factor? How many people do you think will die tomorrow from the Ebola Virus Disease? Not on a cruise ship, not next door, not in Boston...but in West Africa. Go ahead, take a guess, if you can stand it.

Hot tendy topic indeed.

I mean in the United States. I am referring to the craziness in this country of people avoiding the city of Dallas or not allowing eastern African people around them. That's what I mean.

The Ebola outbreak has been ongoing for nearly a year. People I know think it just started out of nowhere. Hopefully resources needed continue to reach Liberia and S-L. They need it.

People I know think it just started out of nowhere.
NOVA had a great show earlier this month on surviving Ebola. Patient zero for this outbreak has been identified. He was a young boy living in a remote village (sorry, don't remember what country). Typically patient zero contacts Ebola by eating infected bats or monkeys and that is what is believed to have happened with this most recent outbreak. Neither of these are staples in the average North American diet.

It was very interesting to see how this experimental cure is 'grown' (for lack of a better term). I now understand why a new, large batch can't be whipped up in a hurry.

The show is available to watch on the NOVA website.

Yeah, like why three adult microbiologist friends would go to Disney World on vacation :confused::D

Walt Disney World is loads of fun for people of all ages. You just have to be young at heart and have lots of energy. Some of my "best ever" vacations have been to WDW.

Perhaps they have kids or grandkids? I know one of the people mentioned is retired but maybe he has a young wife - people do, you know. Anyway, kids or not, guess it depends on how young at heart one is:)

Our friends are enjoying the Food & Wine Festival at WDW. Disney recruits cast members to work at their Animal Kingdom Park and the Animal Kingdom Lodges from Africa. Yet, our friends still don't have the hysteria found on this this thread. :rolleyes: