Ebola making a difference in your next cruise?

Sam.Seattle

"In conjunction with cruise line health and medical staff, CLIA introduced a policy to deny boarding to passengers and crew arriving from countries the CDC has designated with a Level 3 Travel Health warning. The policy extends to those who have traveled to those countries within 21 days of the ship embarkation date".

I can't find the confirmation of this statement anywhere, not on CLIA or CDC, or any news sites. Has anybody seen it mentioned in any other articles?

Today on Cruise Critic UK:"In conjunction with cruise line health and medical staff, CLIA introduced a policy to deny boarding to passengers and crew arriving from countries the CDC has designated with a Level 3 Travel Health warning. The policy extends to those who have traveled to those countries within 21 days of the ship embarkation date".

I can't find the confirmation of this statement anywhere, not on CLIA or CDC, or any news sites. Has anybody seen it mentioned in any other articles?

Today on Cruise Critic UK:"In conjunction with cruise line health and medical staff, CLIA introduced a policy to deny boarding to passengers and crew arriving from countries the CDC has designated with a Level 3 Travel Health warning. The policy extends to those who have traveled to those countries within 21 days of the ship embarkation date".

No, but you might check the BBC website since you reference a UK source.

Edited by Ryndam2002

Here is the full quote and the source:

None of Carnival Cruise Lines' ships visit the region where Ebola cases are originating nor do our ships call in any countries with Level 3 CDC Travel Heath Notices. Any passengers or crew who have visited or traveled through Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea within 21 days of a cruise departure date will be denied boarding.

Additionally, all guests sailing with us must answer a series of health screening questions during embarkation and, if deemed necessary, will be asked to submit to further medical screening prior to being allowed to board. All cruise lines continue to monitor the situation closely, along with our colleagues in the rest of the travel industry. The cruise industry is in close, frequent contact with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO) for updates and guidance.

copied from http://www.miamiherald.com/news/busi...#storylink=cpy

I just heard on the news Carnival Magic is headed back to Galveston but did not say either way whether the ship was denied by Cozumel.

Heard on CNN just half an hour ago that Mexico did indeed refuse to allow the ship to dock at Cozumel. It is now heading back to Galveston. The same news is being reported on the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting) website.

Makes one wonder - how abundant should caution be?

Heard on CNN just half an hour ago that Mexico did indeed refuse to allow the ship to dock at Cozumel. It is now heading back to Galveston. The same news is being reported on the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting) website.

I just heard that reported as well.

Caution is fine, hysteria (which we now have) is dangerous.

Carnival's call to Cozumel is cancelled as Cozumel won't take them. The ship is now headed back to Galveston.

Carnival is giving all passengers $200 onboard credit and 50% off a future cruise

I wonder if Cozumel denied them or Carnival took the simplest route back to US territory where they are already dealing with suspected Ebola cases.

Absolutely. And why is it necessary to keep posting news bulletins - it's not as if the rest of us don't hear or see it, for heavens sakes.

Hey everyone needs to know two people have contracted Ebola in the United States. ;)

It's like the people (I'm looking at you, politicians) screaming to close the border to direct flights from Africa. Maybe they should close the Texas border, ban all fights from Europe too? It's absolutely maddening. To read people are canceling vacations because of this just saddens me to no end, honestly.

A friend has a January trip to California she cancelled. I yelled at her a little, ha.

Hey everyone needs to know two people have contracted Ebola in the United States. ;)

It's like the people (I'm looking at you, politicians) screaming to close the border to direct flights from Africa. Maybe they should close the Texas border, ban all fights from Europe too? It's absolutely maddening. To read people are canceling vacations because of this just saddens me to no end, honestly.

A friend has a January trip to California she cancelled. I yelled at her a little, ha.

I like the idea that since both US cases are from Texas, that we close the Texas border.:)

Absolutely. And why is it necessary to keep posting news bulletins - it's not as if the rest of us don't hear or see it, for heavens sakes.

Thank you for having the courage to say this. I had to disengage yesterday as I couldn't find the words without being rude. I understand that people are frightened and I understand that there has been some mistakes and lack of communication. But to think people are listening to sensational news reports more that to the medical and scientific experts is baffling.

Don't get me wrong. I am afraid too. I am not a robot. But this is hysteria and it needs to stop. DS nearly died of H1N1 5 years ago and DD was 18 months old when SARs hit and we lived not 10 km from the hospital where the first patient was diagnosed. I have been terrified and I have dealt with this fear and sat and watched my son for 5 days and nights in hospital not knowing if was going to live or die and that is something I will never be able to forget.

I trust the cruise line to tell me if my cruise is not safe.

Edited by 1of4

Well, if they stayed 3 feet away from her they should be fine. Again, notice that Duncan's family has not come down with ebola and they were confined in a small space with a man sick enough to try for hospitalization twice. He was admitted second time round.

Susan

Don't see how they would have known before hand about the nurse having a fever and who she was as they checked in and boarded the plane. The 3 PA people have probably seen her picture by now and may or may not know how close to her they were.

Thank you for having the courage to say this. I had to disengage yesterday as I couldn't find the words without being rude. I understand that people are frightened and I understand that there has been some mistakes and lack of communication. But to think people are listening to sensational news reports more that to the medical and scientific experts is baffling.

Don't get me wrong. I am afraid too. I am not a robot. But this is hysteria and it needs to stop. DS nearly died of H1N1 5 years ago and DD was 18 months old when SARs hit and we lived not 10 km from the hospital where the first patient was diagnosed. I have been terrified and I have dealt with this fear and sat and watched my son for 5 days and nights in hospital not knowing if was going to live or die and that is something I will never be able to forget.

I am sorry my posts have disturbed you. I understand the stress you must have suffered from your son's illness. Many of us have had serious health issues with our loved ones.

I am deciding whether to make final payment for the first cruise I had hoped to take since my DH passed. Among other factors I have been considering, I now have definitely added these Ebola stories to things I am weighing. I imagine there are others here who are also deciding whether or not to make final payment. Maybe these discussions are helping some of us? Who better to talk about thoughts of cruising than those on a cruise forum?

1of4, I agree -- disengaging is the most rational choice for me right now too. I'm sorry about the trauma of your son's illness with H1N1, and am glad he recovered.

I am sorry my posts have disturbed you. I understand the stress you must have suffered from your son's illness. Many of us have had serious health issues with our loved ones.

I am deciding whether to make final payment for the first cruise I had hoped to take since my DH passed. Among other factors I have been considering, I now have definitely added these Ebola stories to things I am weighing. I imagine there are others here who are also deciding whether or not to make final payment. Maybe these discussions are helping some of us? Who better to talk about thoughts of cruising than those on a cruise forum?

Believe it or not, Sail, it's not all about you. You weren't even quoted.

I don't see where 1 of 4 made any mention of your posts. What am I missing here? She's talking about the 24/7 coverage, I believe. And how adversely it affects her having nearly lost her son to H1N1.

Sorry Sail, I didn't mean to infer that it was you. It is nobody in particular, just the sensational news in general and how the facts and experts get lost in the reporting of fear. So a reporter that is spreading innuendo and rumour more than fact gets more converge than the science.

But again, I learned first hand that you have to listen to yourself first and foremost and do what is right for you. If we had of listened to our doctor, to call tele-health (which we did) and wait 2 hours for the triage nurse to call us back, DS would be dead. He woke with a cough and I was already at work so told DH to make a doctor appointment so we had him at the doctor at 3:15 in the afternoon. Had Tamiflu by 4:00 and was close to death by 6:00.

You have to do what is right for you. Making the decision to travel right now is not easy. Whatever feels right is the answer for you.