Ebola making a difference in your next cruise?

Sam.Seattle

Well we now have a doctor, who came from West Africa working with Ebola patients and who has been in the country for almost a week and he has tested positive for Ebola!!!!

Now everyone he came in contact with has to be contacted. This is just a mess. When will this government stand up and and ban travel from the effected countries??

I just heard a similar news report. This doctor, apparently, has been on the subway, went bowling, rode taxis, and has been feeling 'somewhat' ill since Tuesday and today presented with 103 temperature IF the report I heard is correct. There is to be a news conference soon. Six days out and about in NYC.... how to they hunt down all contacts? One has to wonder why he did not self-quarantine or why he was not required to quarantine for the 21 days potential incubation period.

Edited by sail7seas

It was just confirmed in New York City that a doctor working with Ebola with Doctors Without Borders has tested positive for Ebola.

If that travel ban was in place this good American would not have been able to return and would have had to stay in Africa - and good luck with his medical care there when he got sick.

Edited by Boytjie

Once again: someone is only contagious when they actively have symptoms and when making contact with bodily fluids. He was self monitoring and when his symptoms appeared like Ebola's today, he called the city's medical services. Apparently however he felt yesterday did not include vomiting, bleeding or diarrhea.

It was just confirmed in New York City that a doctor working with Ebola with Doctors Without Borders has tested positive for Ebola.

If that travel ban was in place this good American would not have been able to return and would have had to stay in Africa - and good luck with his medical care there when he got sick.

My understanding of a possible travel ban would have any Americans who wanted to return home from those West African countries would be in a 21 day quarantine and if well at that point be permitted to fly home. If this doctor had been in quarantine in preparation to return home and become ill, there is good reason to think a plane would be sent to get him same as others have been brought home for treatment.

I have heard a new update and hope this is true..... They are now saying when he started to feel ill, he self-quarantined until today when his fever spiked and he developed diarrhea. His fiancé is now quarantined.

This is just a mess. When will this government stand up and and ban travel from the effected countries??

The people in those countries that actually have the money to board an international flight will just cross the border into a neighboring country (that's not on the banned list) or take a flight into South Africa, Egypt, Morocco or even Europe, and then just proceed from there. A one-sided travel ban (without the support of other developed countries) is a very expensive way to accomplish absolutely nothing.

It's highly unlikely that the doctor infected anyone while he was well enough to go bowling or taking a taxi around town - until the person is truly symptomatic, their viral load isn't high enough to be contagious (and "somewhat ill" doesn't qualify).

The doctor is presently in Bellevue Hospital in New York City. This is a little too close for comfort for me. Why wouldn't he have self quarantined if he had just come from Africa? Some precaution should have been exercised IMHO.

He was self monitoring ever since he left Guinea and as soon as his symptoms started he contacted the city's medical services. He was not contagious up until that time.

The people in those countries that actually have the money to board an international flight will just cross the border into a neighboring country (that's not on the banned list) or take a flight into South Africa, Egypt, Morocco or even Europe, and then just proceed from there. A one-sided travel ban (without the support of other developed countries) is a very expensive way to accomplish absolutely nothing.

It's highly unlikely that the doctor infected anyone while he was well enough to go bowling or taking a taxi around town - until the person is truly symptomatic, their viral load isn't high enough to be contagious (and "somewhat ill" doesn't qualify).

Diarrhea qualifies but the report I heard is that symptom developed today.

I agree with you about travel by those with means but their passports would be indicative if issued by the three countries with Ebola outbreaks. Not perfect, of course, but would be a factor for some travelers. Also..... no Visas issued would be a factor.

If you can not spread this virus unless you are "symptomatic" why then quarintine the other people he contacted? Example" his fiance? If anyone had close contact with people with Ebola why wasn't the doctor quarintined???? I still don't understand why people can come from West Africa where there seems to be lots of Ebola and not be quarintined for 21 days, yet Americans who come in comtact with the people coming from West Africa that then have Ebola are then Quarintined? This seems so backward to me.

If you can not spread this virus unless you are "symptomatic" why then quarintine the other people he contacted? Example" his fiance? If anyone had close contact with people with Ebola why wasn't the doctor quarintined???? I still don't understand why people can come from West Africa where there seems to be lots of Ebola and not be quarintined for 21 days, yet Americans who come in comtact with the people coming from West Africa that then have Ebola are then Quarintined? This seems so backward to me.

Exactly. He was on the subway yesterday. I have family members who ride the subway. He stopped into a restaurant on the high line yesterday when he was feeling fatigued.I have a friend here who did the same thing yesterday. This man self quarantined, except he really didn't.

At one point I would have supported travel bans and restrictions to infected countries. Then I listened to an interesting debate on this topic. The concern of trying to restrict travel would also restrict private aid. And, then the infected country would only get worse.... till the Ebola becomes a true pandemic. I suppose there really is no clear cut answer regarding the effectiveness of a travel ban.

I was on the subway today and I will be on the subway tomorrow; I am not concerned at all.

Now if someone started projectile vomiting while I am on the subway, I will be concerned. And I would have been concerned even without Ebola being around.

At one point I would have supported travel bans and restrictions to infected countries. Then I listened to an interesting debate on this topic. The concern of trying to restrict travel would also restrict private aid. And, then the infected country would only get worse.... till the Ebola becomes a true pandemic. I suppose there really is no clear cut answer regarding the effectiveness of a travel ban.

Chartered planes and military transports can bring aid and any volunteers who wish to help in West Africa.

I heard this week Paul Allen donated $100 million to fight Ebola. That pays for lots of aid.

Edited by sail7seas

Chartered planes and military transports can bring aid and any volunteers who wish to help in West Africa.

I heard this week Paul Allen donated $100 million to fight Ebola. That pays for lots of aid.

That was part of the discussion, but they debated the fact that private aid is much more effective and having to use military which really is not available to civilians who wanted to assist.

Big dilemma!

From the NY Times:

"Dr. Spencer’s fiancée has been quarantined at Bellevue. Two other friends, who had contact with him on Tuesday and Wednesday, have been told by the authorities that they will also be quarantined but whether they will isolate themselves in their homes or be relocated was still under discussion, according to a person briefed on the investigation. None of the three were showing signs of illness.

Dr. Mary Bassett, the city’s health commissioner, said the driver of the taxi, provided by the online service Uber, had had no direct contact with Dr. Spencer and was not considered to be at risk."

I would surmise that his girlfriend is in quarantine because they may have had recent intimate contact. The other two people most likely had less contact and the cab driver is considered not to be at risk.

Edited by Boytjie

From the NY Times:

"Dr. Spencer’s fiancée has been quarantined at Bellevue. Two other friends, who had contact with him on Tuesday and Wednesday, have been told by the authorities that they will also be quarantined but whether they will isolate themselves in their homes or be relocated was still under discussion, according to a person briefed on the investigation. None of the three were showing signs of illness.

Dr. Mary Bassett, the city’s health commissioner, said the driver of the taxi, provided by the online service Uber, had had no direct contact with Dr. Spencer and was not considered to be at risk."

I would surmise that his girlfriend is in quarantine because they may have had recent intimate contact. The other two people most likely had less contact and the cab driver is considered not to be at risk.

Had the patient simply exercised self-quarantine for 21 days, there would have been little risk of contagion. After the horrors this doctor witnessed while treating Ebola patients, I find it extremely disturbing that he did not exercise caution when returning home by remaining in self quarantine. He really needed to go to a bowling alley on Wednesday night? Seriously? He knew that was the most likely time period when symptoms might become evident if he had contracted EVD (Ebola Virus Disease). Clearly, even some of the most educated and experienced people have a problem realizing that they are not invincible - and that they can spread the disease to others.

If only there was a cure for hubris.

Edited by Salacia

...Clearly, even some of the most educated and experienced people have a problem realizing that they are not invincible - and that they can spread the disease to others.

My thoughts exactly when I first heard this story! Let's hope this is a lesson to his colleagues in the affected countries, and that nobody else in NYC is infected due to his carelessness.

Ebola is totally NOT factoring into my cruise plans. I'm more concerned about people spreading flu, cold, or norovirus on a cruise.

I avoid touching handrails, and avoid public washrooms when cruising. I use the hand disinfectant they have all over the ship.

Generally I don't go to the lido buffets either, mostly because I prefer MDR or alternate dining.. but I have an impression it's more "germy" at the buffet.

I don't see many west-africans or health care workers previously posted there on cruises, so I'm not worried about ebola on a cruise.

From the NY Times:

Is the girlfriend displaying symptoms? It didn't say anything about that. If not, Why quarantine the girlfriend if she can't spread the virus unless she has symptoms???

Had the patient simply exercised self-quarantine for 21 days, there would have been little risk of contagion. After the horrors this doctor witnessed while treating Ebola patients, I find it extremely disturbing that he did not exercise caution when returning home by remaining in self quarantine. He really needed to go to a bowling alley on Wednesday night? Seriously? He knew that was the most likely time period when symptoms might become evident if he had contracted EVD (Ebola Virus Disease). Clearly, even some of the most educated and experienced people have a problem realizing that they are not invincible - and that they can spread the disease to others.

He DID exercise caution and self quarantine. There is absolutely zero reason to do so when you have no symptoms whatsoever, as you are not contagious in the least bit.

Immediately once he began noticing his symptoms he stayed put and called the hospital to report himself.

We're going to actually throw the doctor under the bus? The doctor who took personal time from his job to go help patients in a place there is precious little help? This doctor came home and exercised caution just as he should have - he was in no way contagious when traveling to a bowling alley.

<snip>

I don't see many west-africans or health care workers previously posted there on cruises, so I'm not worried about ebola on a cruise.

:confused: How would you know if the man or woman sitting beside you at the evening show had just returned from being a health care worker in West Africa? Perhaps this was the 'gift' their friends or family surprised them with upon their return........ a cruise.

Is the girlfriend displaying symptoms? It didn't say anything about that. If not, Why quarantine the girlfriend if she can't spread the virus unless she has symptoms???

I was thinking the same thing.

One person above said the doctor didn't have to self-quarantine until he had symptoms and was fine going out and about. If that is the case, why is the girlfriend quarantined in the hospital if she has no symptoms? If she does have symptoms, why is it being kept from us?