What size /brand insulated mug?

tacomaguy20

My first cruise is coming up in under a month and everyone recommends an insulated mug to bring with. I think I want to bring one because I'm going to be buying some liquor from bon voyage. Instead of just picking something at random, I'd like to get some advice. Is there a specific brand that I should get? I've read that a smaller and fatter one would be better so it can fit under the coffee machines and such? How many ounces would be good? I"m thinking at least 20 oz or it would kind of defeat the purpose. Is bigger better? Any pictures or links showing what you use would be great.

Not everyone recommends that you bring this; I wouldn't. It's just something else to take up room in baggage. Why do you need a 20 oz insulated mug? If you need one, why not just pick one that you like?

Well I'm going to be making drinks in my room, then bringing them out around the ship. From what I understand, you get about 5oz cups in the room so I'd be going back and forth repeatedly. A large mug would cut down my trips back to my room. Also, I could just pick a random mug to bring with me but why not get expert cruisers advice on what works best.

I've taken over 50 cruises on a wide range of cruise lines and never needed to bring my own mug.

If you want to make a drink in your room you can use a glass that will be in your room.

If that is not good enough just call room service and ask for a glass or stop by the buffet to get what you need.

Keith

I'm with the others.......

I've never found a need to bring our own cups or glasses. There are plenty of beverage holders on the ship.

One less thing you need to bother packing IMO

Have a great cruise. :)

Do you want a mug for coffee? If you want a BIG glass for any thing else just go to any bar and ask for a BIG glass of ice water. I think you get a bigger one on deck. They are plastic there and a BIG one holds my husband's soda can and ice.

I travel with a 2 cup stainless steel thermos. (It was a logo gift from Carnival.) I take it with ice water going ashore and on deck as I am a water drinker and I always have it with me there.

I got a free Princess insulated mug a few years back as an offer for buying a coffe card. Husband won an RC Mug at a Meet and greet. If we take any, those would be the mugs. You can stuff sox in them to save packing room.

~Doris~

Thanks for all the advice. The reasons I was asking was because I was reading a cruise packing list posting that said to bring a mug. They said the benefits of having a mug were so that you don't have to visit your room so much to mix drinks, so you can get a larger cup of coffee in the morning than the small sizes, and so you have something with a lid that doesn't spill while the ship is moving around. In addition they said the insulated mugs stay colder longer so your not drinking warm beverages in the hot sun by the pool. I'm not really worried about throwing it in my luggage so that isn't a factor. For those of you that don't bring them, do you have liquor in your cabin? How often are you going back and forth from like the lido deck to your room for refills? Or do you just buy drinks at the bars?

We take a 20oz tumbler on every cruise. I found these at Target. they are 20 oz. Liked them for the handle on top and straw. With the screw on lid the will not spill. I like insulated to keep them cold while hanging out on the Lido.

Migo.jpg.9dba2b9d077c19641910b8b0d0f01a8e.jpg

We take a 20oz tumbler on every cruise. I found these at Target. they are 20 oz. Liked them for the handle on top and straw. With the screw on lid the will not spill. I like insulated to keep them cold while hanging out on the Lido.

So shop, obviously you do not agree with the above posters about not bringing a mug. What are your reasons for bringing it?

I have done both. When we drove to ports, I always brought my own mug. The insulated mug kept drinks cold or hot. I do have drinks in our cabin. It cuts back on going back to refill. Now that we fly, living further away, I think twice about it due to space. I do carry an insulated holder with a strap, that came with a bottle. I can put a water bottle in it. I keeps it cooler longer. I always have water with me. Do what you want to do. There might be signs at the drink stations you can't fill your container.

on what ship you take and where you go, you could always decide after boarding and seeing whether you in fact need a mug.

Any store in ports is likely to have them. So is the ship's store.

I used to take my mug when I started cruising. I soon abandoned that as unnecessary.

This is a fair and balanced recommendation. You decide.

I have several and I took one I wouldn't mind losing. Just in case. I love love coffee and don't like little cups.

For water I saved a plastic cup, lid and straw from McDonalds and filled it with ice and water, or lemonade and iced tea. Threw it away at the end of the cruise.

If I was buying a cup for drinks I would get one with a straw. Don't know what they are called, but they are easy to find at Target or Bed bath and Beyond.

My first cruise is coming up in under a month and everyone recommends an insulated mug to bring with. I think I want to bring one because I'm going to be buying some liquor from bon voyage. Instead of just picking something at random, I'd like to get some advice. Is there a specific brand that I should get? I've read that a smaller and fatter one would be better so it can fit under the coffee machines and such? How many ounces would be good? I"m thinking at least 20 oz or it would kind of defeat the purpose. Is bigger better? Any pictures or links showing what you use would be great.

I'm sure that's true, but the fact is that you should not be putting a personal mug/container onto the common beverage machines. There will likely be signs asking passengers not to do that for sanitary reasons. With close quarters and the way illness spreads onboard, it's best to use measures designed to prevent it. Most people grab a clean coffee cup or glass from the stack and then use that multiple times as necessary to fill their personal mug or other container.

beachchick

The tervis tumblers are nice because they are well insulated and don't sweat when they have ice in them. We take a huge glass of ice water/crystal light with us to the sun deck and it stays cold for hours! I have a 24oz with a lid. You can buy them at Bed Bath and Beyond with a 20% off coupon and save yourself some money.

I always have my own beverage containers with me, sometimes two (one for hot, one for cold). Empty they only weigh a couple of ounces, so it's not as though it's making a difference in the weight of my luggage. If I'm pressed for space small items could always be packed inside.

The cruise ships I've been on generally have only smaller glasses at the buffet so I like having my larger one with me. Also, you can't have the ship's glasses near the pool (nor would I want to) so having my own plastic one with a lid works better.

Whenever I fly I carry a 20 oz. cold drink container with me, and fill it with water from water fountains after security. I do this for two reasons; first, airlines hand out water in small "three sip" cups and I drink a lot more water that that and, second, I like having any liquids on the plane in a container with a lid. I've seen beverages go flying too many times when a seat mate moved too quickly and knocked over a neighbor's drink, or the person in front slammed their seat back quickly dumping the stuff off the seat back behind them, or the plane hit turbulence.

I travel with my own 20 ounce insulated mug (with a good lid) for several reasons, but primarily because a tiny cup of coffee is nothing to me but a bother.

To satisfy the sanitary requirements at the buffets, I use a clean cup to fill my mug even if it means using 3 or 4 clean cups to do the job.

I also take along packets of my own hot chocolate mix to make up my own blend of coffee and hot chocolate that is my favorite breakfast beverage.

I am always looking for a better mug and often buy one as a useful souvenir. My current 'pet' mug is from 7-11.

So shop, obviously you do not agree with the above posters about not bringing a mug. What are your reasons for bringing it?

We are more soda drinkers and these keep the soda colder longer. We usually buy the soda card/sticker and most times the bartenders will just fill our mugs.

Also use them for ice tea & water from the Lido. Having the little handles make them easy to carry more than one at a time.

I like the tervis, but these were much easier to pack and really do not take up much room.

Archived