How does NCL compare to Carnival?

Pomcoach

We have only done Carnival before, 4 times. But had a bad experience with our PVP, so would like to try maybe Norwegian or something else. For those of you who have done both Norwegian and Carnival, how did you think they compared. What things did you like and what did you not like? Thanks so much.

To me, they're more alike than different, with each one having certain things they do better than the other. The major differences are the food and entertainment. Carnival's main dining room food is better (and has more variety) than NCL's. NCL's buffet is generally better than Carnival's. NCL has a better variety of pay-for restaurants than Carnival, but Carnival's steakhouse is incredible. Carnival's desserts are much, much better than NCL's. Entertainment-wise, NCL blows Carnival out of the water, especially the Carnival ships with the Playlist Products.

If you look in my signature line, click on the Carnival Dream review. I compared both lines and my honest thoughts at the end of the review (you may have a lot of scrolling to do because it's pretty long and detailed with tons of pictures from the trip). :)

If fixed dining, a big outdoor TV screen and drunks puking in the hallways are important.....don't book the NCL trip.

Carnival has anytime dining and not once in my 6 Carnival cruises have I seen anyone puking anywhere. Yes they do have a big screen outdoors but it's so easy to avoid. The adults only pool at the aft of most of their ships are quiet and relaxing. I wouldn't want you near me on a cruise!

On a side note, the only appalling behavior I've seen on a cruise was on Norwegian Epic where a man was drunk and peeing in the hall! :eek:

To the OP, I did enjoy both of my Norwegian cruises and found them on par with Carnival in many ways. You'll enjoy NCL as long as you avoid people like the above poster which you'll find on all cruise lines.

If fixed dining, a big outdoor TV screen and drunks puking in the hallways are important.....don't book the NCL trip.

I have been on both - they are much more alike than not. The main difference is the amount of dining available on NCL, most pay for. I have seen the behavior of guests much worse on NCL Vs CCL. As long as there is an adults only area on NCL - I prefer them. The entertainment on NCL is better than CCL. The steakhouse on CCL Blows Cagney's away. But I haven't had Cagney's new menu - I hear they have better steaks now. We'll see in 12 days.

You should enjoy NCL.

NCL's entertainment is a bit more robust but as others have said more similarities then not and CCL has copied NCL in offering Anytime Dining (which many lines have also copied) and in having a more relaxed dress code and no formal night.

I agree with most that say they are more alike than similar.

I love NCL freestyle and their freestyle dining. Carnival's YTD IMO doesn't even come close.

I would say the food is about the same in the MDR and the buffet, although NCL does not have a deli section (which apparently is important to some CCL passengers as we heard on our last NCL cruise). NCL has more choices of specialty dining, if one is into that.

Entertainment. Like food is so subjective. We enjoyed more shows and music choices on NCL, but that is completely a thing of what you like and don't like.

NCL doesn't have Guy's burgers or anything that resembles that :(

NCL has live music on their pool decks, we just had piped in DJ on our Carnival cruise.

I agree with most that say they are more alike than similar.

I love NCL freestyle and their freestyle dining. Carnival's YTD IMO doesn't even come close.

I would say the food is about the same in the MDR and the buffet, although NCL does not have a deli section (which apparently is important to some CCL passengers as we heard on our last NCL cruise). NCL has more choices of specialty dining, if one is into that.

Entertainment. Like food is so subjective. We enjoyed more shows and music choices on NCL, but that is completely a thing of what you like and don't like.

NCL doesn't have Guy's burgers or anything that resembles that :(

NCL has live music on their pool decks, we just had piped in DJ on our Carnival cruise.

What do you mean by they are more alike than similar?

I want to add to my thought above. The staff on both are great, but have noticed that NCL goes a step above in many areas, one being at many ports there will be staff outside welcoming you back with cold towels, etc. After a freak accident back in 2012 with the Star in bermuda, once the staff was able to get back off the ship they also had jelo shots!!! That was fun!!

Some of my opinions:

MDR food was better on Carnival. Buffet better on NCL. I liked the fixed dining better.

Better shows on NCL and just more things to do in general (with kids anyways).

I actually thought staff was a bit friendlier on CCL.

I like the live music over DJ.

Both of my itineraries included the cruise lines private islands and Half Moon Cay blows GSC away by FAR. Best place I've ever been.

We have only done Carnival before, 4 times. But had a bad experience with our PVP, so would like to try maybe Norwegian or something else. For those of you who have done both Norwegian and Carnival, how did you think they compared. What things did you like and what did you not like? Thanks so much.

Until March of last year my wife and I were carnival's biggest boosters. That is until they changed their entertainment policy. We were on the Carnival Breeze January 2013 and the entertainment was bad. The music was for the most part canned. We were talked into doing the NCL Epic in March 2013 and loved it. The entertainment was fantastic. We have since cruised the NCL Getaway, Breakaway and Star. The entertainment on each was fantastic. No more Carnival for us.

Steve from Illinois

I have to concur with the posters who have stated that there are more similarities than differences. The only appreciable difference would be the lack of fixed dining times on NCL. Apparently for some people that's a huge deal-breaker. I don't understand that mind-set, personally.

Besides that, I think there may be just as many differences from ship to ship/itinerary to itinerary as there are between the 2 lines.

Edited by srlafleur

Did one Carnival cruise to Canada and 7 NCL cruises and this is why I prefer NCL.

1. I felt the NCL staff was more positive and customer friendly.

2. I disliked the Carnival fixed dinner time seating immensely.

I just did not like the singing waiters nor the head waiter doing Frank Sinatra impersonations. I love Frank but this guy was not even close.

We have a constantly drunk couple at our table and was not allowed to change our seating for the entire cruise.

Had to wait for our 8 pm dinner seating like school aged children. They would not let us in until 8:06 pm. Why, I do not know as the dinner room was empty way before 8 pm.

3. I always loved the nightly after dinner musical, dance shows on NCL. Much more professionally done. I never missed one as they capped our cruise days on the ship.

4. If I had a problem on a NCL ship, always went to our cabin steward and got immediate action. If not satisfied there, I phoned the HD and definitely got what I needed. Carnival not so.

5. I always got more than my money's worth on a NCL cruise. So, why change with what works?

I loved reading every bit of the opinions. You all were so kind to take the time to write! We have decided to take a chance on the NCL cruise. We happen to be in Florida for just 6 days and will try to fit in a 4 day cruise on the Norwegian Sky. Before we book this, I'll read some reviews from everyone about this ship. We are getting excited to try a new cruise line.

Thanks again Everyone!

What do you like about Carnival?

In my limited NCL experience, I thought the entertainment was better and more varied than on CCL.

I LOVE the 24-hour restaurant on NCL's ships with multiple choices instead of only pizza and cold room service.

I haven't eaten in the MDR on NCL so I can't compare.

I loved reading every bit of the opinions. You all were so kind to take the time to write! We have decided to take a chance on the NCL cruise. We happen to be in Florida for just 6 days and will try to fit in a 4 day cruise on the Norwegian Sky. Before we book this, I'll read some reviews from everyone about this ship. We are getting excited to try a new cruise line.

Thanks again Everyone!

A 4 day cruise does have a bit more party vibe than a longer cruise, so bear that in mind. You might have a rowdier clientele specially during spring break. :eek:

Take a peak at the jewel review in my signature. Our first cruise was with carnival and second with ncl. We're definitely not experienced cruisers but we did have lots of comparison. We have our third cruise booked with royal next week and then back on the carnival dream in February!

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Forums mobile app

Our very personal opinion is the crew of NCL is the best at sea. We love the suite options that also give you great perks. We are Haven crusiers and love being spoiled by great friendly crew for out trip

I love the set up when I am getting back to the ship after a long hot day and the NCL staff is waiting with cold towels, cold drinks, ices, and sometimes some great dancing by the Senior Staff and crew. I have seen other cruise ship passengers on other lines stare in seer amazement. I love the variety of places to eat. I love when I embark the ship I am always told " welcome home" silly things to some but they make me keep coming back for more. We have done Rccl, Carnival, Hal I cannot bring myself to go back on any of them. I know what I expect Ina vacation and NCL never disappoints.

• 1 month later...

I've been on 2 CCL cruises and 1 NCL cruises. the NCL Jewel last year was terrible in almost every way possible. The buffet for breakfast was below average, CCL is much better. the MDR was terrible at lunch and dinner, I was served things like burned toast on my club sandwich, well done and rare steaks when i ordered Medium and cold french fries. Teppanyaki was the only place where the food was exceptional as well as the service. There was one other little restaurant that had good food (forgot the name) .. the service was always sooooo slow.

Service in all areas was bad, I only saw my steward once. The wait staff in the MDR didn't seem to really give a damn... that is until the last 36 hours or so, then suddenly everything (except the food) got better!

So, I'm giving NCL another chance on the Getaway in January, only because some friends are going.. and because I've read some good things about the Getaway.

I'm paying about $350 more per person than I would for a similar balcony cabin on CCL, so I am going in with high expectations and hope they are met!

I sure hope the food is better in the MDR and buffet this time, because I'm not going to eat in a specialty restaurant more than twice.. oh and it won't be Cagney's!!! The CCL steakhouse blows NCLs out of the water. Cagney's is about the same as MDR on CCL in my opinion.

This time, I'll mention any issues as they happen. Last time, i completed their survey and sent an email, never got any type of apology or response from NCL.