RSSC Proud of Highest Per Diems

A truly professional Travel Agent's primary concern should be for his/her client and the client's happiness and satisfaction. Any Travel Agent who pushes a cruise line because of higher commissions does his/her clients no favors and risks losing those clients--and their friends.

A truly professional Travel Agent's primary concern should be for his/her client and the client's happiness and satisfaction. Any Travel Agent who pushes a cruise line because of higher commissions does his/her clients no favors and risks losing those clients--and their friends.

I don't think this is naive at all. A good travel agent thrives on repeat business, and will be willing to forego a short-term profit for a long-term relationship with a customer. Such agents, such as ours, end up inspiring incredible loyalty in their customers. Of course this is not 100% altruism: in the long run such agents end up making a lot more money.

I don't think this is naive at all. A good travel agent thrives on repeat business, and will be willing to forego a short-term profit for a long-term relationship with a customer. Such agents, such as ours, end up inspiring incredible loyalty in their customers. Of course this is not 100% altruism: in the long run such agents end up making a lot more money.

This is so true....This is why we changed TA's a few years ago. We now have a new TA, since that change we've booked 2 Silverseas cruise's in high end suites with additional friends coming along.

We've also just booked 2 Regent cruises in the Grand Suite, hoping friends will follow and that's a lot of profit for the new TA.

Rick

Yes - TA's want happy clients but I assume that they may have slight prejudices in terms of which luxury line(s) they recommend. most often. IMO, the more they know about the product, the better they can sell it. What better way to learn about a ship than to sail on her?

Many years ago (our first Radisson/Regent cruise) we had a lovely TA that had never sailed Radisson. Her knowledge was better than agents that do not regularly book cruises, however, after our second Regent cruise, we switched to a TA that has sailed on most luxury lines and was pretty much a Regent expert. Their knowledge of what we want and knowing just about everything about Regent has kept us loyal to them for several years.

This is so true....This is why we changed TA's a few years ago. We now have a new TA, since that change we've booked 2 Silverseas cruise's in high end suites with additional friends coming along.

We've also just booked 2 Regent cruises in the Grand Suite, hoping friends will follow and that's a lot of profit for the new TA.

Rick

I switched to someone I have known for 40 years who has been a travel agent that long. She mostly does Corporate Travel but many cruises. She's not cruised Regent or Crystal but she's done some pretty amazing things for us with things like upgrades and the consolidator she uses books many of the luxe lines and tour operators. Tickets get hand delivered - while not a major perk - there are many things she brings to the table.

A ticket consolidator with airlines can save you so much money. Our agency has a dedicated air desk who is a consolidator does nothing but that. ChatKat you are so right. People just do not know how to find a great TA or how they work or the benefits they are missing out on.

Edited by Suite Travels

TC wrote: " What better way to learn about a ship than to sail on her?"

Well TC has not sailed on Crystal or Seabourn which are considered high end luxury lines.

I have no context with which to frame a reply to that observation.

Regarding pictures of the Explorer, at last count, I've seen approximately 250 professional photos of the Explorer plus the photos taken by Mr. Rumor. By the end of next year there will be very little of the ship that has not been posted or published. I have held back photos taken on the ship in order for others to post their pictures without feeling like they are repeating what I posted. I have a photo of the $300 plate that sits on the table in Chartreuse as well as the Versace plates in CR (plus more photos of the Regent suite which, according to Regent management, will be booked for the next year. In fact, that suite is booking so well that there will likely be a price increase in the not so distant future.)

Edited by Travelcat2

A ticket consolidator with airlines can save you so much money. Our agency has a dedicated air desk who is a consolidator does nothing but that. ChatKat you are so right. People just do not know how to find a great TA or how they work or the benefits they are missing out on.

How true...Benefits and service is what it's all about when booking. We pretty much know what we want so the TA doesn't have to do to much work on us - that's why the benefits and pricing is so important. We always book a suite, I don't want to be disappointed waiting for a up grade. I'll pay the price to get what we want, but I expect the TA to work with us (and this one does). We'll most likely use a air consolidator later, but right now we're still using miles from when I worked before I retired. That's still many years away, plus we enjoy first class.

Rick

How true...Benefits and service is what it's all about when booking. We pretty much know what we want so the TA doesn't have to do to much work on us - that's why the benefits and pricing is so important. We always book a suite, I don't want to be disappointed waiting for a up grade. I'll pay the price to get what we want, but I expect the TA to work with us (and this one does). We'll most likely use a air consolidator later, but right now we're still using miles from when I worked before I retired. That's still many years away, plus we enjoy first class.

Rick

I am with you. We pay for what we want and not waiting for upgrades. We have a lot miles as well. The problem is using them for first class on international as they are so capacity controlled especially the top airlines such as Emirates and Singapore. If We can't snag the seats on miles we check with the consolidator and the Amex Centurion two for one first class seats which does include Singapore and Emirates among other airlines. We refuse to fly BA as their business and first class service cannot compare and we dislike LHR.

The issue with Regent upgrades are there are fire sales on them. So if you book a mid level level cabin and the there are unsold inventory you will be offered an upgrade for a price. We've been lucky to snag some of the best cabins onboard that way.

With Crystal, we were just upgraded without any discussion. They just upgraded us for loyalty - and we've only been on two with several future bookings.

We were looking for a cruise in the time frame of the Explorer Crossing. What's appealing is the ship is the destination and the few ports we've not been to a basic tour would work or just a cab. The Voyager Crossing was a good experience. Hoping our good friends join us.

Edited by ChatKat in Ca.

Somehow the subject seems to have changed overnight. To comment on upsells since this seems to be the new topic, its great that Crystal does upgrades but many of us are happy with Regent's way of doing things. I don't know what basis is used on Crystal to give upgrades but it sounds as if other passengers could get quite upset if someone gets an upgrade that has less nights on Crystal than they do. Regent, on the other hand, gives the opportunity to guests in certain suites (depending upon which suites they need) to do an upsell. We do book the suites we want to be in but have taken upsells because the prices are so good.

Rather than just discussing Crystal (whose per diems for upper suites are generally higher than Regent - for smaller suites) what are the per diems on Silversea and Seabourn........ and, what is their upgrade/upsell policy?

In terms of transatlantic cruises on the Explorer, they appear to have the lowest per diem, which, in addition to needing a rest from "ports" that we have visited repeatedly, is one reason we booked the next three Explorer transatlantic cruises.

It is hard to compare the various lines. Seabourn do not include excursions, flights and transfers (though they will organise them for you, usually on a good airline at a convenient time and IMO not too bad a price). The way many people use, including us, is to have a 'balcony guaranteed' fare, available on I think nearly all cruises, which is lower than even the deck 4 no balcony suites chosen price. As there are no really bad suites with balconies, it is no problem for most. They are all the same size, and none include butler service, which is not a Seabourn thing. Sometimes you could be on the lowest balcony deck, sometimes in the highest grade, so it is a lottery which most do not mind.

We would normally expect to pay around £220 to £250 a day on a Seabourn cruise. More on the Antarctic, less on crossings. Sometimes Seabourn do offer 'upsells', not usually worth it IMO.

I'm sorry but pre diems, so what! When you go out to buy a car most dealers don't go out of their way to sell that car at the lowest cost. And on a ship it's pretty easy, only YOU decide if your going to pay the price and is that price worth it. If it is you book the cruise, if it's not you don't. As long as I get what is important to me-service, the cabin I want, the food and ports - I'm OK. As far as upsells, that's OK if they need to move someone up. On a "O" cruise we had to cancel the Owners Suite once (one day before the cruise) due to illness. I'm sure they moved someone into that suite. I wouldn't wait thinking I'm going to get an upsell, I book what I want to be sure I get want I want. That said if they wanted to move me into a better suite with an upsell and it was worth it, yes I'd do it. Right now were holding a Grand Suite on a cruise a little over a year from now and that category is already wait listed. Had we waited, we would be in the suite we wanted.

Rick (Just my feeling)

PS-during your booking a good TA gets you more and does more for you.

Sorry - I should have said it would be more for a 7 day cruise; we always do at least 14 days, and some which are back to back, for which there is an extra discount.

Price per day is important to many people - can make the difference in affording more cruises per year. And yes, of course, your TA should offer a discount or some on board goodies. In the UK it is often 10% of the Seabourn price, less often onboard credit or similar. I am counting in the discount from the TA, and the 5% onboard booking discount here, which does not need to apply to a particular cruise and has 4 years in which to use it, or get it back.

I doubt if any other line offers a free week after 140 days, or a fortnight if you wait until you have done 250 days? For real Seabourn fans this is the best goodie of all.

It is hard to compare the various lines. Seabourn do not include excursions, flights and transfers (though they will organise them for you, usually on a good airline at a convenient time and IMO not too bad a price). The way many people use, including us, is to have a 'balcony guaranteed' fare, available on I think nearly all cruises, which is lower than even the deck 4 no balcony suites chosen price. As there are no really bad suites with balconies, it is no problem for most. They are all the same size, and none include butler service, which is not a Seabourn thing. Sometimes you could be on the lowest balcony deck, sometimes in the highest grade, so it is a lottery which most do not mind.

We would normally expect to pay around £220 to £250 a day on a Seabourn cruise. More on the Antarctic, less on crossings. Sometimes Seabourn do offer 'upsells', not usually worth it IMO.

You make some great points. I understand that it is extremely difficult to compare per diems on the four major (major in North America) luxury cruise lines based on the items you stated. I brought it up because Crystal cruisers were making some comparisons between Crystal and Regent which, IMO, is no easier to compare than Seabourn and Regent or Silversea and Regent. On the other hand, I'm sure that there are some people out there that would have a great time figuring out what suites cost per square foot (taking into consideration air, hotel, excursions, etc.)

I find it very interesting that many Seabourn suites are the same size. Are some more expensive than others based on location or ??? Having the same size suites for different categories seems to be what Regent is going away from.

Lastly, I am not sure that the "lottery" system would work well on Regent.

I will stand by my post. I absolutely agree that a TA's responsibility is to their client. The people participating on this board are, in general, sophisticated travelers that understand good service and best interest recommendations.

But, even on CC there are cruisers who don't understand the importance of a TA.

Given those dynamics think about less experienced individuals and the potential for TA enrichment at their expense.

I will repeat that anyone who thinks all TAs are altruistic is naive.

I will stand by my post. I absolutely agree that a TA's responsibility is to their client. The people participating on this board are, in general, sophisticated travelers that understand good service and best interest recommendations.

Given those dynamics think about less experienced individuals and the potential for TA enrichment at their expense.

Agree even more now that when you posted previously. Especially your last sentence!

I agree 100%. That said it's up to the person buying the cruise in the end. You think it's fair or you don't. No one makes you make that purchase. I use miles for First class, if I had to pay for it with cash I wouldn't do it-I'd go Business Class. Every person does this everyday with what they will or won't pay for----

Rick

TC - the balcony suites on Seabourn are identical, grades V1 to V6, but the higher grade is higher on the ship and more central. All 300 sq. ft. plus balcony. There are also the window suites, also 300 sq. ft. but no balcony, and then the penthouses etc, which are larger. So any V (verandah) suite is the same except for position on the ship. This does make the 'lottery' system easier.

Of course we all make an individual decision - if we have air miles we would not use the Seabourn transport, although it does guarantee being looked after if something untoward happens, and also if your flight is after 3 p.m. you get taken to a nice hotel for lunch and then on to the airport. We personally find Seabourn's fares good enough for us, and of course we love the line generally, having tried most of the others.

I agree 100%. That said it's up to the person buying the cruise in the end. You think it's fair or you don't. No one makes you make that purchase. I use miles for First class, if I had to pay for it with cash I wouldn't do it-I'd go Business Class. Every person does this everyday with what they will or won't pay for----

Rick

Rick I just scored two seats in first class on Emirates on our trip to Nairobi via Dubai using my hoarded miles and and they only had two for our flight and it is still wide open in F. AMEX just transferred the miles. Delta is very easy when using them for domestic and we are Medallion Platinum.

If you had to pay for the F class JFK-DBX-NOB RT it would cost 22k pp. we have used the two for one for F on Singapore which equates to two J class seats but we are in F...still saving a lot of money.

TC - the balcony suites on Seabourn are identical, grades V1 to V6, but the higher grade is higher on the ship and more central. All 300 sq. ft. plus balcony. There are also the window suites, also 300 sq. ft. but no balcony, and then the penthouses etc, which are larger. So any V (verandah) suite is the same except for position on the ship. This does make the 'lottery' system easier.

Of course we all make an individual decision - if we have air miles we would not use the Seabourn transport, although it does guarantee being looked after if something untoward happens, and also if your flight is after 3 p.m. you get taken to a nice hotel for lunch and then on to the airport. We personally find Seabourn's fares good enough for us, and of course we love the line generally, having tried most of the others.

Thank you for the explanation. The suites sound very much like the suites on Regent's other ships (not the Explorer). I seem to recall that Regent was having difficulty selling some of the "higher grade" suites since they were the same size as the lower grade. I believe that is one of the reasons that they added benefits to some of the suites. It is difficult to describe but a few years ago Regent decided to make some levels "concierge suites" in the hopes that the added benefits would entice passengers to book the higher cost suites (even though they were the same size). On the Explorer, there are definite size differences between categories.