Two weeks Australia by land after NZ cruise

We're planning a 12 night NZ cruise Auckland to Sydney and wanting to plan 14 nights in Australia after. It would be March. We will also be taking our two kids both under the age of 10 so something to take into account.

We for sure want to do Sydney and Cairns/Port Douglas. I had thought of doing Uluru but the cost of flying the 4 of us there along with going when it's so hot has me leaning towards not. Where else would be good with kids? Want an authentic experience but also something the kids won't be super bored with.

Two suggestions--

1) Make your 3rd destination Adelaide/Kangaroo Island. There's some excellent wildlife viewing on KI--and not just kangaroos. If you were to include this as part of your trip, I'd recommend a minimum of 2 days for Adelaide and 2 days for KI. (There's also some interesting, family-friendly attractions in Adelaide such as the Cleland Wildlife Park and the tram to the beach at Glenelg.) However, you may find this a pricey option when you factor in the airfare or ferry fares to KI.

2) Make your 3rd destination a self-drive trip down to Canberra. One very popular attraction there for families is Questacon, the hands-on science museum. When we lived in Canberra with our kids, going to Questacon was a real treat for us all and we'd spend almost all day there. Other good attractions are Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve, Tidbinbilla Tracking Station, Cockington Green miniature village, National Museum of Australia, riding bikes around Lake Burley Griffin, Australian War Memorial (my son's favorite),etc. And plan on doing the easy 6 km RT walk called the Yankee Hat Hike in Namadgi National Park just outside Canberra. You will see lots of kangaroos in the wild right off the trail and at the turnaround point is a large rock with Aboriginal drawings. I would plan on 3 days in Canberra. A family trip to Canberra via car from Sydney would be a very affordable trip.

Realistically, if you want to go anywhere in Australia other than areas close to Sydney, and Canberra, you will need to fly there. Australia is very large.

I'd certainly recommend a trip to the Blue Mountains but, sorry, I'm not really au fait with good places for kids. Hopefully others will come up with some good recommendations for you.

As GradUT says, Canberra is a great place to visit and it is a lovely drive down there.

It really depends on what you want to do. Do you want to see the major tourist traps? or do you want to discover the real Australia? If you want to see the major tourist traps, then you will need to fly. Driving from Sydney to Cairns is like driving from Miami to Chicago - it's a long way. And you would spend most of your time just driving. My suggestion would be to spend a few days in Sydney and then hire a vehicle/motorhome and check out the country, maybe driving as far as Brisbane (or in the other direction to Melbourne).

In Sydney

The zoo

Manly

Aquarium

Maritime museum

Luna Park ( if open)

Walk across the Bridge

Agree a road trip to Canberra

A trip (maybe by train if your kids would like that) to the blue Mts.

A visit to the Gosford Reptile park is great, but it's about an hour north of Sydney and public transport isn't great.

Madame Tussauds Wax Works always intrigued my kids (long time ago now.)

We're planning a 12 night NZ cruise Auckland to Sydney and wanting to plan 14 nights in Australia after. It would be March. We will also be taking our two kids both under the age of 10 so something to take into account.

We for sure want to do Sydney and Cairns/Port Douglas. I had thought of doing Uluru but the cost of flying the 4 of us there along with going when it's so hot has me leaning towards not. Where else would be good with kids? Want an authentic experience but also something the kids won't be super bored with.

Depending on how adventurous you are, two weeks is enough time to hire a campervan and drive from Sydney to Cairns.

Day 1: Sydney

Day 2: Sydney

Day 3: South West Rocks

Day 4: Byron Bay

Day 5: Rainbow Beach

Day 6: Fraser Island day trip

Day 7: Yeppoon

Day 8: Airlie Beach/Whitsundays

Day 9: Cardwell

Day 10: Hinchinbrook Island day trip

Day 11: Port Douglas

Day 12: Cape Tribulation

Day 13: Cairns/Great Barrier Reef

Day 14: Cairns

Depending on how far you are willing to drive in one day, you could skip South West Rocks and go straight to Byron Bay or skip Yeppoon and go straight to Airlie Beach. Which would give you more time in other places such as a day trip to Whitehaven Beach in the Whitsundays.

Hinchinbrook Island is like a mountain range that's been cut out of the Great Dividing Range and dropped into the Coral Sea. It should be one of the top tourist destinations in Australia, but very few people seem to be aware of it. There are day trips there from Cardwell.

If you want somewhere iconically Australian, Fraser Island should not be missed. Probably the best and longest beaches in Australia, lovely forests and some of the most beautiful freshwater lakes you will ever see.

Byron bay to rainbow beach would be too much in one day for travelling. You are completing missing Brisbane and the time to travel between these two would be at least 6-7 hours. Personally I would miss Byron Bay there is nothing there other than the lighthouse it is nothing spectacular and I would spend an extra day at Fraser Island. You also need to remember the road from Noosa (2 hours from Brisbane) to Cairns is a one way road full of pot holes. Also if you are travelling February/March there is a good chance of lot of rain as well as flooding on these atrocious roads that we call highways! Cairns will also be very warm to hot and very humid. I would stick the southern states of Australia and it is too hot up north

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Byron bay to rainbow beach would be too much in one day for travelling. You are completing missing Brisbane and the time to travel between these two would be at least 6-7 hours.

About 4 hours.

I live in Brisbane too. It's a nice place, just not a good tourist town. The Gold Coast I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. There are better places to spend your time to the north or south.

Personally I would miss Byron Bay there is nothing there other than the lighthouse it is nothing spectacular and I would spend an extra day at Fraser Island.
Say what you like about Byron, it's worth a visit even if only for the beaches, but you could swap it for Ballina if you wanted.

If it was me, I'd spend the whole two weeks on Fraser Island.

You also need to remember the road from Noosa (2 hours from Brisbane) to Cairns is a one way road full of pot holes.
I think you are making it sound worse than it is. The Bruce Highway is no better or worse than any other Queensland road, other than expressways. I also note that BubMunkeyBles is from Alaska. They already know bad roads up there.

Also if you are travelling February/March there is a good chance of lot of rain as well as flooding on these atrocious roads that we call highways!
That is when they want to go. If you are unlucky enough to find it flooding, you go inland around the flood.

That is when hot and very humid. I would stick the southern states of Australia and it is too hot up north
That is where they want to go, Sydney and Cairns.

It's quite a drive, but it is doable.

Remember they are travelling with two kids under 10. A long road trip like that would not be a good idea with kids. Too much time travelling, and not enough time doing things that would keep the kids amused.

1) Make your 3rd destination Adelaide/Kangaroo Island. There's some excellent wildlife viewing on KI--and not just kangaroos. If you were to include this as part of your trip, I'd recommend a minimum of 2 days for Adelaide and 2 days for KI. (There's also some interesting, family-friendly attractions in Adelaide such as the Cleland Wildlife Park and the tram to the beach at Glenelg.) However, you may find this a pricey option when you factor in the airfare or ferry fares to KI.

OzKiwiJJ: Realistically' date=' if you want to go anywhere in Australia other than areas close to Sydney, and Canberra, [b']you will need to fly there[/b]. Australia is very large.

As noted, flying is a "must" to see and explore many parts of large and wonderful Australia. I would second the strong suggestion for Kangaroo Island. YES, you are 100% correct to have Sydney and Cairns/Port Douglas as top priorities. From my live/blog below, you will see lot son pictures and details on the Great Barrier Reef and other thing around there, K.I./Adelaide, Sydney, etc.

As encouragement for Kangaroo Island, below are a few items of "evidence" that I would submit here. Let us know any added questions, info needs, etc. Happy to share more. Just post any additional needs on the live/blog and I will respond.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 138,679 views for this posting.

From amazing Kangaroo Island, 70 miles south of Adelaide in South Australia, here is a picture of two kangaroos doing what they do best on the open plains of this island while we observed at a distance.:

GBRLizIslanReef5_zps8aff9a96.jpg

At Flinders Chase National Park, first is a longer view as we approached the Remarkable Rocks that dramatically overlook this coast region of Kangaroo Island. These are naturally-sculptured formations sit atop a base of granite. This rock formation appears like sculptures of the UK's Henry Moore.:

KangIslandOneA15_zps7f57e126.jpg

Here is an overall coastal/beach view within Flinders National Park.:

GBRLizIslanReef1_zpsd84266b9.jpg

Here is a view at Admiral's Arch with an amazing angle through that famed stone arch outward towards sea/rock/coastal scenery.:

GBRLizIslanReef3_zpsb25405e5.jpg

With Craig Wickham, the operator of Exceptional Kangaroo Island on this famed Australian island near Adelaide, he took us on a "hunt", successfully, to find more Koalas out in the wild. Here is just one example of these Koala finds that we enjoyed so much. Aren't they cute? So lovable?:

KangIslandOneA1_zpsc37fce84.jpg

Here is one sample from my many pictures of these interesting and playful Australian Sea Lions at Kangaroo Island's Seal Bay. Fun!!:

KangIslandTwoA_zpse8ca57a4.jpg

Much as Kangaroo iSland looks lovely and I must get there one day, I would think that just Cairns and Sydney would be good with kids that young. Sydney is huge and you can get round very easily using public transport these days because of the apps available. Makes bus travel so much easier. You can get the train to the Blue Mountains, to Kiama, buses to all the beaches. March is still very warm (particularly so this year) If you try to do too much you will spend too much time at airports. even to Cairns the flight is over three hours.

However if you are ambitious Canberra is an excellent place for kids.

I am a retired primary school teacher and the grandmother of four kids under five! Sydney has such beautiful parks for kids, such as Centennial Park.

Sorry but I have driven from Sydney to Cairns and I personally would not think of doing it with kids that age.

I would just stick to the east coast of Oz as this is where you'll find more cheaper flights & things much closer & easier to get to. So maybe start with a flight to Cairns and spend a few days there exploring the reef, etc. Then a flight to Brisbane & spend a few days at the Sunshine coast for great beaches & great natural scenery & Australia Zoo which the kids will love. Then a day trip or so around Brisbane before heading back to Sydney and spend your last days exploring that great city.

I travelled overseas with my children from the age of two. I learnt the hard way that two was too early! After that big trip, I learnt to take into account the children's ages and from then on it was pure joy. Whatever, you decide to do stay a minimum of two nights at each place.

After Sydney, which has lots of interest for children, you could consider flying to Cairns and hiring a small air conditioned motorhome and driving to Cape Tribulation and back, staying at Port Douglas and whatever beach takes your fancy en route. Just remember March is cyclone season and it could be raining and will be hot, but that is what makes the rainforest so beautiful.

You can fly back to the US from Cairns.

Two suggestions--

I hated every minute in KI. .it was a waste for me. I saw more wild life in Port Douglas plus the beach. it was cold and windy and Adeliade - i was at the IC-not near any food- only near the river... to bad you can not go to Hunter valley and o a wine tour and hope the kids enjoy the country side and the gardens there. most hotels have pools and much warmer than KI. .also I enjoyed the blue mts.. going back to both next March.I have a cruise in 2 years that goes to KI and I am not getting off the ship..

I hated every minute in KI. .it was a waste for me. I saw more wild life in Port Douglas plus the beach. it was cold and windy and Adeliade - i was at the IC-not near any food- only near the river... to bad you can not go to Hunter valley and o a wine tour and hope the kids enjoy the country side and the gardens there. most hotels have pools and much warmer than KI. .also I enjoyed the blue mts.. going back to both next March.I have a cruise in 2 years that goes to KI and I am not getting off the ship..

For kids, Hunter Valley Gardens is hard to beat.

• 1 month later...

Australia is a huge country. We have been there three times. Still lots to see. First time was Cairns, Great Barrier Reef. Second time was driving from Gold Coast to Sydney along the coast with stops in Coffs Harbour, Hat Head (try finding that on a map), Port McQuarrie, etc. Third time was driving Sydney-Melbourne-Great Ocean Road. All wonderful.

Our advice...pick two or three areas and spend quality time. We were so glad that we took our time. Sydney alone, and Blue Hills, took 4 days. Keep in mind that every time you take an airplane it will essentially take up almost a full day.

On the cruise we spent time in Adelaide and Perth. Both very nice. We plan to go back to Adelaide.

Australians are extremely hospitable, friendly, and down to earth. In fact, if we were ever to emigrate from our home in Canada to another country our first choice would be Australia! We plan to go back again-probably for two months or so during our winter.

Edited by iancal

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

It is possibly too late, or you may have already found this offer ....

Qantas Walkabout airpass

We did a similar trip to Australia. We were able to book our international flight and 2 domestic flights on one ticket for not much more than the international.

The ticket got us to Sydney, Alice Springs and Cairns, the two farthest points. We rented cars in Sydney to see Canberra, and drive North to Brisbane. The coast towns are interesting, along with the sanctuaries, wildlife etc.

3-4 days in Sydney taking the ferries to the different areas, the Opera house tour, the different beaches and neighborhoods.

If you make it to Cairns, I suggest the Quicksilver reef experience out of Port Douglas. They have a fixed platform activity center that is perfect for families. To go all that way and not see the reef would be a loss.

We did the Wayoutback tour from Alice Springs to see Uluru, the Olgas and Kings Canyon. This trip can be pricy but is really good to see in a short time frame. But also might be more than the children could handle. It depends on the time of year - heat, floods and walking ability. There are other tours with a more moderate activity level.

Like many large countries, the different states/provinces have many and different personalities. It would be hard to cover more than 2-3 in a 2 week period without more flights to and fro.

It is easy to drive. Remember Australia is one country our CC insurance coverage is not available.

The Australian dollar to the US$ is a really good exchange right now. We saved half on our trip by buying AUD when the rate was in our favor.

It is an amazing country!!! You will enjoy it no matter what you choose to do.