What to do in FLL after cruise?

Arubababe52

Cruising out of Miami, but flying home from FLL at the end of October. We have a 4:45 flight - what should we do for the day. Don't want to sit in the airport all day. Figured we'd take a shuttle from POM to FLL, maybe checked bags at bagstogo and then take an uber somewhere. What would you suggest for 4 ladies? Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Cruising out of Miami, but flying home from FLL at the end of October. We have a 4:45 flight - what should we do for the day. Don't want to sit in the airport all day. Figured we'd take a shuttle from POM to FLL, maybe checked bags at bagstogo and then take an uber somewhere. What would you suggest for 4 ladies? Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Catch one of the rental car shuttles, pick up a car and that will give you a whole bunch of options. You'll probably pay a lot less for the rental car than you will BagsToGo and Uber.

You could do the Hollywood Broadwalk, beach and Margaritaville.

Downtown to the Las Olas area...Saturday, 10/22 is the Las Olas Art Show...http://www.artfestival.com/festivals/las-olas-art-fair-fort-lauderdale-florida

Sunrise Blvd and A1A is Ft Lauderdale Beach or the Galleria Mall.

There's the beach and pier in Dania Beach.

Lauderdale By the Sea is my favorite beach area, but it's north of the city and you may be a little short on time unless you hustle.

If it is a Saturday or a Sunday after checking your luggage at bags to go, take the free Sun Trolley Airport Link (http://www.suntrolley.com) downtown. Check out http://www.sunny.org and http://www.lasolasboulevard.com for ideas on what to see, where to eat, etc. If you feel like taking a boat tour of the Intracoastal and the New River, the Carrie B (http://www.carriebcruises.com) departs from their dock right off Las Olas Blvd.

Yes please continue the ideas. Our flight isnt till 6 pm . We have rented a car before and wasted so much time getting and then returning that we just don't want the hassle. We will be there on a Monday so will miss the trolley too. Can we get a cab just to the harbor shops. And then trolley around? Would this be the closest stop to the airport for the least cab fare?

Then I suppose around 3:30 pm get a cab back to the airport to get our bags and check in? Easy to get a cab at any hotel along the trolley lines? Thinking five hours or so to kill with beach, lunch and window shopping.

We plan on taking our bags to the airport to bagstogo and taking just a backpack with the valuables with us.

Edited by cruiselvr04

Yes please continue the ideas. Our flight isnt till 6 pm . We have rented a car before and wasted so much time getting and then returning that we just don't want the hassle. We will be there on a Monday so will miss the trolley too. Can we get a cab just to the harbor shops. And then trolley around? Would this be the closest stop to the airport for the least cab fare?

Then I suppose around 4 pm get a cab back to the airport to get our bags and check in? Easy to get a cab at any hotel along the trolley lines?

That all sounds like a lot of hassle and a lot of wasted time to me...waiting on trolleys...waiting on cabs. What are you going to do with all your luggage? Drag it around with you everywhere?

It doesn't get any less hassle free of driving straight to the airport in your rental car, straight into the car rental garage, get out and walk to your terminal.

Then I suppose around 3:30 pm get a cab back to the airport to get our bags and check in? Easy to get a cab at any hotel along the trolley lines? Thinking five hours or so to kill with beach, lunch and window shopping.

We plan on taking our bags to the airport to bagstogo and taking just a backpack with the valuables with us.

Harbor Shops shopping center off 17th Street (directly behind the Embassy Suites) is the terminus for the 17th Street/Beach Link of the Sun Trolley and the closest stop to the airport. You could definitely take a cab there, take the trolley to the beach, walk around, and take another trolley to Las Olas for window shopping and lunch. Then take a cab back to the airport (about $20 from the Riverside Hotel) or uber (even less). Alternatively skip the first Sun Trolley ride and just take a cab directly to the beach since the beach is only about 2 - 2 1/2 miles from the Harbor Shops.

Thanks for the info. The Carrie B looks interesting. If we were to take a cab or uber to las olas, where would you get dropped off? We will be there on a Friday.

The Carrie B docks at 440 N New River Dr E, which is 2 short blocks south of Las Olas Blvd. http://www.carriebcruises.com/index.html

That all sounds like a lot of hassle and a lot of wasted time to me...waiting on trolleys...waiting on cabs. What are you going to do with all your luggage? Drag it around with you everywhere?

You missed cruiselvr04's explanation that they are using bags to go at the airport to store luggage until check-in.

Edited by capriccio

You missed cruiselvr04's explanation that they are using bags to go at the airport to store luggage until check-in.

Oh, so they are going to waste time and money going to the airport to store their bags and then pay taxi fare to go somewhere, then pay trolley fare, then pay taxi fare back to the airport...

Sounds like a big hassle to me. Rent a car, put the luggage in the trunk. Done! Easy Peasy.

Edited by Lido_Deck

We are also returning to POM and flying out of FLL - I've already rented a car from MIA for the return trip to FLL. Here is my crazy question: How do we get from MIA to FLL without traveling on a toll road? It's very confusing when you leave the rental car area....:eek:

We are also returning to POM and flying out of FLL - I've already rented a car from MIA for the return trip to FLL. Here is my crazy question: How do we get from MIA to FLL without traveling on a toll road? It's very confusing when you leave the rental car area....:eek:

Interstate 95

There are two toll roads out of MIA to get to 95 north, which are 836 east and 112 east. I prefer to take 112 east.

The only way to avoid these two toll roads to get to 95, are back roads, but if you don't know the area, I highly discourage it.

Edited by brunello22

There are two toll roads out of MIA to get to 95 north, which are 836 east and 112 east. I prefer to take 112 east.

The only way to avoid these two toll roads to get to 95, are back roads, but if you don't know the area, I highly discourage it.

It's not that difficult...

Miami International Airport

2100 NW 42nd Ave, Miami, FL 33126

Get on I-95 N in Miami from Miad Cir, Le Jeune Rd and NW 54th St

26 min (7.8 mi)

Continue on I-95 N to your destination in Broward County

22 min (21.5 mi)

Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport

100 Terminal Drive, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33315

26 min (7.8 mi)

22 min (21.5 mi)

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Miami+International+Airport+(MIA),+2100+NW+42nd+Ave,+Miami,+FL+33126/Fort+Lauderdale-Hollywood+International+Airport,+100+Terminal+Drive,+Fort+Lauderdale,+FL+33315/@25.81806,-80.2782904,12866m/am=t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m16!4m15!1m5!1m1!1s0x88d9b74d4eb94ac1:0x989fdae0cba2f8e1!2m2!1d-80.2870457!2d25.795865!1m5!1m1!1s0x88d9aa7ae4c8faf5:0x2ae0339d90a6cbe6!2m2!1d-80.1506022!2d26.0742344!2m1!2b1!3e0

26 min (7.8 mi)

22 min (21.5 mi)

Thanks!! This looks like how I did it a two years ago!

And for those showing concern about driving in the area - thanks! I do appreciate the words of caution! Having grown up in Detroit, I'm pretty street-smart! I do my best not to do anything silly that could get me into trouble and only travel during daylight hours thru unfamiliar cities.

Thanks!! This looks like how I did it a two years ago!

And for those showing concern about driving in the area - thanks! I do appreciate the words of caution! Having grown up in Detroit, I'm pretty street-smart! I do my best not to do anything silly that could get me into trouble and only travel during daylight hours thru unfamiliar cities.

The area around MIA is a country club compared to Detroit. Perhaps they had better look out for you. :eek:

Ok I am thinking of renting a car @ POM, and then drive back to Fort Lauderdale, and dropping the car off @ the airport.

We have a 4:45 flight, any suggestions, @ Fort Lauderdale are the car rentals on property, or do I need to take a shuttle

You can also look into tours your cruise line offers. Ours last year picked us up at the ship (luggage stored on bus) and we went to the Everglades for a short tour; afterwards we were taken directly to the airport.

For the tour and ride to the airport it was actually quite reasonable, and a lot less work. We still got to the airport earlier than we wanted, but it cut our wait by at least 2/3.

The area around MIA is a country club compared to Detroit. Perhaps they had better look out for you. :eek:

Thanks for this! I haven't laughed so hard in a while!! 😅

Yes, Miami is a little tame compared to Detroit....but I'm still extra cautious anyway as I'm not familiar with the roads.... :cool:

Ok I am thinking of renting a car @ POM, and then drive back to Fort Lauderdale, and dropping the car off @ the airport.

We have a 4:45 flight, any suggestions, @ Fort Lauderdale are the car rentals on property, or do I need to take a shuttle

No car rentals at POM, but some in downtown Miami close to the port - they are sometimes overwhelmed with cruisers. Alamo, National and Thrifty offer free shuttles from POM to their MIA airport location.

Can you give me an idea how long it takes to take the shuttle into Miami to pick up your car?I am hancippaped, and use a scooter and we were going to rent a car to drive back to FLL, instead of taking a shuttle. We figured this would give us more freedom. We have a 4:45 flight, and I don't want to sit around the airport all day

Any thoughts??