Straw Hats

Lots of info on this subject here. Different ideas. You can search to see what others have done. I pack my big straw hats by turning them upside down and packing soft stuff around them like underwear and pajamas and I fold my foam bras in half and stuff them in the crown to hold the shape. This works!

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I found a 'straw' hat in the Target Garden Center on clearance a few years ago. $7

Don't take any special care of it and it still looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Lots of info on this subject here. Different ideas. You can search to see what others have done. I pack my big straw hats by turning them upside down and packing soft stuff around them like underwear and pajamas and I fold my foam bras in half and stuff them in the crown to hold the shape. This works!

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This is usually what I do, too, including the bras in the crown of the hats. And I take maybe 6-7 hats with me. I'm addicted. Also, I always come home with two or more hats than I started out with.

In April (driving to the port) I was trying to pack less stuff, so I did my hat packing a little differently since I wanted to use every inch in my suitcase for clothing and shoes. So, I packed the hats with the bras in the crown and put them in a lightweight beach/tote bag with some other lightweight items packed around them and just carried them on. I kinda liked that, too. I'm not sure how I'll do it in November. All I am sure of is that I have a hat addition.

I have so many hats that are the rollable and crushable and packable kind. Expensive ones, cheap ones. But, I can't bring myself to crush them. I just can't do it. And I can't stop buying hats. Yikes!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Best option: Wear your straw hat as you board.

Second best option, or if you're bringing multiples: Lay it upside down in the middle of your suitcase and tuck your things in "around it", including some items inside the hat. This'll support the hat on all sides. You could even tuck two hats together, one inside the other.

We normally pack our hats (flying in hats is a PITA to me & my husband). If I'm bringing a hat, it's a fabric sunhat (I have a great ex officio hat with chin strap:D) or crushable straw/grass (I'm not sure which). My husband packs a favorite Tilley (he has winter & summer versions) and is quite adept at packing it in the middle of the suitcase, supported internally & externally to prevent most crushing.

That's patently untrue as many previous posts have JUST SHARED how we successfully pack hats:rolleyes:

:):):)

OP, I have successfully packed hats over the years. I turn them upside down, fill the hole with clothes (something soft that will not stretch it out) and pack clothes on top and on the bottom so it is as cushioned as possible. They have made it for the most part, and those that didn't make it were on their last legs anyway. ;)

My personal decision is not to wear my hat as I board and when entering and exiting the ship on the gangway because a gust of wind can catch it and it ends up in the water. I have had crew members say, "Hold onto your hat!" as I cross over the gangway. Just a heads up.

Yes! I am definately a straw hat gal. I have purchased a couple from QVC and I've found a few others in stores such as TJMaxx. For whatever reason that I think I learned from my Mom, I take tissue paper and stuff it in the hat and then roll the hat into my carry-on.