how to ruin a cruise line and

Stakeout

I must have missed that post, but I don't see where OP said that in his/her initial post.

Answering my own question: I see now that it was in the title of the thread but not in the body of the post. Didn't CC's prior format include the thread title in all the postings?

I have an alt theory that I'll not post but is about Mr. Ashford himself.

FWIW HAL bookings are at record highs from what I've been told.

And if that is the case, what is the purpose of these "innovations" which have generated much disapproval and the loss of at least a few HAL cruisers? There have been so many posts attempting to justify the downgrading of the live music at cocktail hours; the library; and the Crows Nest with the speculation that HAL isn't attracting sufficient numbers to warrant maintaining the aforementioned sites or that these sites simply don't bring in enough money to justify being maintained. Now we learn that HAL is beating away potential passengers at its doors? It would be interesting to hear Orlando's explanation of who are the customers that this cruiseline is really trying to attract. His justification for EXC Central was, IMHO, nothing more than a pitiful attempt at money grabbing.

That having been said, there have been recent improvements which we have enjoyed. We find that the food is much better and more imaginative. I like the Library Bar and the Dive-in. But for us, the loss of the library;the overall deadliness without live music to either dance to or just listen to is a deal breaker. We will wait to see how these innovations play out. Until then, we will not sail on any HAL ship that does not have a library and music. I am not including the Lincoln Center in that category. And we really don't want to leave HAL!

I guess my basic question is: It really necessary to throw out the baby with the bath water? Can't some of the traditional HAL co-exist with some innovations?

FWIW HAL bookings are at record highs from what I've been told.

I have heard same about virtually all the mainstream lines, though. Not sure it has anything to do with HAL innovations but perhaps more to do with the economy picking up and smart placement of ships during key seasons...

We've done 10 HAL cruises since 2002 and justly recently received a bronze medallion (109 days onboard).

I can honestly say that we've noticed a real decline in HAL compared with other lines owned by Carnival. I don't believe the current CEO is to blame. Our last 2 HAL cruises (Prinsendam & Koningsdam) were the most disappointing of all of our 29+ cruises.

I wish HAL success in the future but it will be very unlikely we'll return. I appreciate some of the improvements they are trying to make but it coming at too high a cost.

What exactly disappointed you?

Roz

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

Here are a few things I noticed from the Prinsendam and Koningsdam

Decline in the food quality

Cheap Desserts (creme brûlée & berry crisps)

Poor Daytime onboard activities, no lectures

Seldom saw Senior mangers/officers interacting with guests

Increased buy onboard food outlets

Constant flyers to the cabin to buy, buy buy, sales just for you!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi gentleman cruiser, I think we were on the Queen Victoria last October together. As it was our first Cunard cruise, I don't have a frame of reference. We loved the ship, the buffet food and the tea! But we were very disappointed in the MDR food as we were in a balcony.

Just off the Noordam, and we found our suite tired and in need of an update but the food better overall.

Wondering if you have seen a decline in Cunard?

Hi gentleman cruiser, I think we were on the Queen Victoria last October together. As it was our first Cunard cruise, I don't have a frame of reference. We loved the ship, the buffet food and the tea! But we were very disappointed in the MDR food as we were in a balcony.

Just off the Noordam, and we found our suite tired and in need of an update but the food better overall.

Wondering if you have seen a decline in Cunard?

Yes we were together on QV, that was our 4 time onboard and we were in the PG so I cannot comment on the MDR food. Friends have told me they've noticed a decline in the food.

Is it all still Orlando Ashford's fault? Is he to blame for declining quality on the other mainstream cruise lines? Whatever the cruise lines are doing, they are making their shareholders happy.

Ashford became president of Holland America in December 2014. Since that time Carnival Cruise Lines' stock is up 66%, the S&P 500 is up 18% and the Dow is up 20%.

The OP seemed to me rhetorical in style, but using the word "ruin" undermined the argument. The perception of decline is consistent with many posts by many people on this forum. Seeking to insulate the company's president from the criticism seems odd.

Here are a few things I noticed from the Prinsendam and Koningsdam

Decline in the food quality

Cheap Desserts (creme brûlée & berry crisps) - I didn't realize crème brulee was a cheap dessert; crème brulee and the berry crisps have been served for years on HAL. There are other dessert choices. You don't have to order/eat desserts you consider to be cheap.

Poor Daytime onboard activities, no lectures

Seldom saw Senior mangers/officers interacting with guests - It's nice if managers and officers have the time to interact with guests, but it doesn't detract from the cruise experience if they don't.

Increased buy onboard food outlets - Don't understand this comment; what food "outlets" are you referring to?

Constant flyers to the cabin to buy, buy buy, sales just for you!!!! - I've been getting flyers sent to my cabin on HAL and other lines since 2001 when I started cruising. Nothing new here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Added my comments in red.

Roz

Other small indicators of cruise line parsimony: print your own tickets and baggage tags. Still have the folder our first HAL tickets came in. It said"class act." No more.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We still have our original blue folder from our first HAL cruise as well, and it was a class act. We're planning to use it for our printed boarding docs for our upcoming cruise in September. :)

We still have our original blue folder from our first HAL cruise as well, and it was a class act. We're planning to use it for our printed boarding docs for our upcoming cruise in September. :)

Agree, it was a class act, but that did not change when Orlando Ashford took over.. We've had to print our own documents for many years..:cool:

The crux of this thread is that supposedly Orlano Ashford has ruined HAL & I still don't see how he has ruined HAL..

IMO it's time for HAL to raise their rates so there are no more cutbacks in service.. BTW we still enjoy HAL & have been sailing on them as well as on several other lines for 19 years..

Nothing will ever compare to my first cruise in the Greek Islands on another cruise line in 1970, which was the pinnacle of luxury for me!

Agree, it was a class act, but that did not change when Orlando Ashford took over.. We've had to print our own documents for many years..:cool:

I was only commenting on the nostalgia of the original blue folders, and not HAL's current president.. sorry for the confusion. :confused:

Nothing will ever compare to my first cruise in the Greek Islands on another cruise line in 1970, which was the pinnacle of luxury for me!

I would venture to say that most (if not all) of us would say that their first cruise was by far their best, or at least most memorable. :) There's just something about those 'first times', if you know what I mean! ;):o

It is not uncommon to hire a CEO that does not have specific experience in an industry segment. It's more critical to hire someone who is forward thinking, innovative and can manage people.

A very successful and well known businessman once said (paraphrasing) "If you have a choice between someone with experience, and someone with talent, choose the one with talent."

All the mainstream cruise lines have gone to printing your own boarding passes and luggage tags. Just a sign of the times.

Roz

True, but we'll still continue to use our 'vintage' blue HAL folder to put our documents in! ;):D

Me thinks Stakeout just wants to stir the pot.

I say this because the last post on this threat for 2016 was (#163) on October 9th, 2016. The next post (#164) was by Stakeout on June 16th, 2017. That's over 8 months between two consecutive posts!

Just saying!

All the mainstream cruise lines have gone to printing your own boarding passes and luggage tags. Just a sign of the times.

Roz

We live in a fast changing world. Some people are not happy with changes even as small as boarding passes. Stough will keep changing as time goes on. Soon we will have the new style of room key.