Celebrity Cruise Line Complaints

Travel Hunter

Yes, I feel that they could do a better job at this. I mean I wasn't asking for money back but it's obvious they didn't want me to give up my inside cabin since they would have had a harder time getting rid of that than selling someone a guarantee veranda for $1,399.

I guess the surety of today's profit outweighs the promise of your continued loyalty

We didn't book our inside early either. It was after final payment - I think it was 7-8 weeks prior to sailing and then 4 weeks later the verandas dropped. Which was strange because they weren't showing much availability when I booked the inside.

It just goes to show, you win some & you lose some. It's all a gamble. I go with the fact that I am satisfied with the price I paid (or I wouldn't have booked), & if the price goes up, I crow to my wife about how much money we saved; & if the price goes down, I keep quiet, & tell myself I was satisfied with what I paid.:D

It's called "life"! You just have to deal with it.

I see your Elite Plus, Celebrity should be willing to offer you a Veranda, based on all the cruises you have taken with them. Or at least provide you with some other consideration. Seems as though, inadvertently, their process rewards those that look for a cheap deal, as opposed to rewarding frequent loyal passengers

I doesn't work that way, as many, many others have already explained. You are beating a dead horse here!

I see your Elite Plus, Celebrity should be willing to offer you a Veranda, based on all the cruises you have taken with them. Or at least provide you with some other consideration. Seems as though, inadvertently, their process rewards those that look for a cheap deal, as opposed to rewarding frequent loyal passengers

I'm sure many became elite just on the fact that they took cheap deals. Especially, if you live close to port such as Florida residence, who are retired and can just pack a bag and go at the drop of a dime.

[/b]

I'm sure many became elite just on the fact that they took cheap deals. Especially, if you live close to port such as Florida residence, who are retired and can just pack a bag and go at the drop of a dime.

I live in NY sometimes in the winter, I vacation in Florida to get away from the cold.

I live in NY sometimes in the winter, I vacation in Florida to get away from the cold.

Well if you know when you are going to be down there you should look into any last minute cruise deals. My in laws live there so whenever we think we might be visiting we look for a last minute deal that we may be able to grab. It hasn't worked out for us yet but it doesn't stop me from trying. By the way it is very unlikely that a new cruiser would grab a last minute bargain since they probably don't know to look. It's those who have sailed with the cruise line who get the exciting deal emails or have learned by experience so don't assume that the person who scored the great deal wasn't a past passenger who is also loyal.

Last cruise the price dropped by 1/3 so we gladly cancelled, lost our deposit and rebooked. At embarking we found out we had been upgraded from AQ to Sky Suite S1! That was unreal! Thinking about the amount of money we "saved" on that, I dont really care if the price drops on my next cruise or not. Celebrity have already given me an experience I would never ever been able to afford. :)

Same thing happened to me and it wasn't an exciting deal. They lowered the prices of guarantee verandas to what I had already paid for my inside stateroom. I just asked to be upgraded to the guarantee veranda since I paid the same amount. They said no. It was after final payment.

So some new person could come along and book, pay what I paid for an inside and get a veranda.

It's not only Celebrity.

We were recently looking at some Holland America closeout prices and they were offering deep price drops in some categories for new last minute bookings too.

For those who booked earlier, sometimes it pays to cancel and re-book, while other times it doesn't, depending on how big a penalty hit you would take.

On Celebrity, for some categories it can be worth paying more to upgrade without canceling after final payment.

Edited by fleckle

[/b]

Actually we earned our Elite Plus status by taking big trips with our son while he was growing up and all inside cabins. We live in Connecticut not Florida, but can cruise out of Cape Liberty. Unfortunately Celebrity doesn't do much out of Cape Liberty. We have never taken any 4 or 5 day cruises and only started booking guarantee cabins the past few years. We are also not retired so we just can't pick up and go.

Edited by CruisingChick

[/b]I'm sure many became elite just on the fact that they took cheap deals.

My first cruise I went with a group and we all had Concierge Class cabins. I had never even heard of Captain's Club back in 2006. Of course I eventually joined, and then took long cruises in CC and became Elite in 2010. Just recently reached the Elite+ level but only because starting last July Celebrity started to give us solo travelers double points for our sailings. Of course, I had to pay double to begin with, so was very thankful for the extra points. (I would have loved to have those "cheap deals"!) :) I will never in my lifetime reach Zenith, so I just enjoy what I have now.

Edited by gimletgal

Actually we earned our Elite Plus status by taking big trips with our son while he was growing up and all inside cabins. We live in Connecticut not Florida, but can cruise out of Cape Liberty. Unfortunately Celebrity doesn't do much out of Cape Liberty. We have never taken any 4 or 5 day cruises and only started booking guarantee cabins the past few years. We are also not retired so we just can't pick up and go.

No line does much out of our area. Canada/ New England is not for me.

Which is better for a CC Elite, to take a balcony guarantee or take the one category upgrade?

Which is better for a CC Elite, to take a balcony guarantee or take the one category upgrade?

I take the one category upgrade, but I like the ability to choose my own cabin. If it doesn't matter to you what cabin you land in, then I would think a guarantee would work better. It's all about individual choice. As for $$, I'm sure the guarantee will always win!

What's better is whichever is cheapest!!

Suggestion for the OP. Keep watching regular prices. Frequently, once a cruise gets lowered for an exciting deal, the regular price on the website will be lowered as well. Once that happens, and it's no longer an exciting deal, you may be able to upgrade. I was once able to upgrade for just a couple of dollars more than I had already paid. The key is that it has to be more money, even if it's only a dollar. So don't give up and keep checking prices at least daily.

I think the current setup is fair. You essentially have a choice, book early and lock in a cabin and a fare, or wait until the last minute and hope for a deal.

I've done both. My two upcoming cruises are currently sold out. If there is a cruise I really want to go on, I won't wait. Sometimes I look at the last minute deals and pick one off at a moments notice.

The problem with waiting for the deal is airfare, especially if you use miles and prefer to fly business. It's also good to be able to do advance planning.

We all know how it works and we work it to whatever we see as to our advantage.

Trying to decide between another Celebrity Cruise or checking out Emerald Princess. Has anyone sailed both recently? Is the food as good on Princess?

Our 1st cruise with Princess was in 1992, our last one was on the Ruby in 2012, when it was the newest ship they had. My wife will not consider going back at the current time.

We sailed on the Reflection in 2013 and the Equinox in 2014.

Following your "complaint" theme, here I go.

Currently in the process of booking our 1st Celebrity cruise, and so far it's been exasperating. I'm simply trying to get us off the 8:30 dining waiting list onto the 6:00 dining waiting list...you'd think I was trying to get a curbside pickup from Celebrity.

I've written them 3 times about this request...no response at all. I called Celebrity yesterday, was on hold for 30 minutes before a person came on the line, spent over 10 minutes...mostly having me on hold to deal with my request. Eventually she assured me, she'd taken care of my request for transfer to the 6:00 waiting list. She didn't, we're still on the 8:30 list.

Ultimately we want to get a dining package, but will not do this until we have an assigned dining time and have prepaid gratuities taken off our bill.

If this simple issue causes so much heartburn between Celebrity and us; maybe we'll just switch back and stick with Royal Caribbean.

Interesting.....I am on a "Wait List" for the 8:30. I'll take yours! I was told to call back two months out (from April sailing) when people cancel. :mad:

Interesting.....I am on a "Wait List" for the 8:30. I'll take yours! I was told to call back two months out (from April sailing) when people cancel. :mad:

Why were so many people placed on Select? Both early and late were booked months in advance?

Our 1st cruise with Princess was in 1992, our last one was on the Ruby in 2012, when it was the newest ship they had. My wife will not consider going back at the current time.

We sailed on the Reflection in 2013 and the Equinox in 2014.

Just curious, what happened to cause your wife to dislike Princess.

Just curious, what happened to cause your wife to dislike Princess.

Good Evening Mike!

We sailed with our best friends who loved the Ruby. My wife even said the Ultimate Balcony dinner was the best additional $$ we ever spent in 25 years.

We talked our friends into going to the Crown Grill, a disaster. She thought the MDR was very poor. Yes it was different from the all Itatlian staff in '92, but I enjoyed it too. 20-25% of the staff were on their final sailing before going to the new Royal, and were excited beyond words at the chance to bring out the new Flag Ship of the fleet. The shows were kinda so-so, they were the strong points before.

The CC Meet n Mingle was also a drill, no support from Princess like we get on RCCL or Celebrity.

Did this cause a feeling of dis-interest? Maybe. It just proves the statement, we all can be in the same place, and have a different experience.

The same friends cruised with us on the Reflection in 2013, had a good time, but they liked the Ruby better :confused: my wife said that the Reflection was the best cruise in 25 years :confused:

So just what was it? Not quite sure, but even with the big discounts we can get on Princess out of Houston, she won't consider one.

EW

Good Evening Mike!

We sailed with our best friends who loved the Ruby. My wife even said the Ultimate Balcony dinner was the best additional $$ we ever spent in 25 years.

We talked our friends into going to the Crown Grill, a disaster. She thought the MDR was very poor. Yes it was different from the all Itatlian staff in '92, but I enjoyed it too. 20-25% of the staff were on their final sailing before going to the new Royal, and were excited beyond words at the chance to bring out the new Flag Ship of the fleet. The shows were kinda so-so, they were the strong points before.

The CC Meet n Mingle was also a drill, no support from Princess like we get on RCCL or Celebrity.

Did this cause a feeling of dis-interest? Maybe. It just proves the statement, we all can be in the same place, and have a different experience.

The same friends cruised with us on the Reflection in 2013, had a good time, but they liked the Ruby better :confused: my wife said that the Reflection was the best cruise in 25 years :confused:

So just what was it? Not quite sure, but even with the big discounts we can get on Princess out of Houston, she won't consider one.

EW

I think it's what you get used to or what you are more familiar with. I prefer the food on Princess but I have only been on one Celebrity sailing so I will see if it's better on my next sailing. I agree about the Princess entertainment. Although I really shouldn't comment as I only saw one show even though I have been on the Caribbean Princess 4 times. The problem is that the theater was over crowded and I just don't have the patients to get to the theater 30 minutes a head of time to get a seat. On Celebrity I saw every show on the Summit and enjoyed all except the Sirens. We got there 10 minutes before the show started and found seats. I liked the ocean view room on the Summit better than the Caribbean Princess. Over all service was the same on both lines. I would sail either line. It all depends on price and itinerary. I hope that with all of the changes that Celebrity is still going to be affordable for me. It's good to have choices.

I would sail either line. It all depends on price and itinerary. I hope that with all of the changes that Celebrity is still going to be affordable for me. It's good to have choices.

That's pretty much DW and I, too. Thirty years with Princess and we're Elite; twenty five with Celebrity and we're Elite +. Though we love the Pacific Princess, we find the X ships, M and S classes, in general suit our tastes more. Princess itineraries have always been more interesting for us. Their food has always been better, though X has closed the gap and neither line makes decent jerk chicken :D

In September we'll give the Royal Princess a try, but I'm already geared up to be a bit disappointed. Maybe we're cruised out and nothing will suit us anymore.