To TA or not TA

Want to start cruising more and wondering how many in the group use a TA. My honeymoon in '99 was taken care of me and my upcoming cruise I ended up booking by myself through RCI.

Do most of you use a TA and what is the advantage/disadvantage/no advantage?

Thanks just trying to figure it out. I didn't talk to my local TA but on their site they had the same pricing as RCI when I booked. So trying to learn from all of you with experience.

I haven't been able to find a TA yet that will offer me deals better than what I can get on my own, other than offering a little bit of on board credit during a sale or something. I know some people out there have TAs that can save them money and get them OBC for their cruise.

I have used TAs and have booked on my own. The past TAs were eager to get by booking & I was eager to get their bennies & perks. That's where the love affair died. Try getting ahold of them after the booking, nothing but bad luck for me.

Our next 2 trips are booked thru a different TA, 1st trip for the great deal ( plus, came recommended ) the Oct cruise I could have booked myself, but let him do it, because he is just so easy to work with.

After our first 3 or 4 cruises (we've been on 17) I quit using a TA. I've called them to see what kind of deal they would give me. It was the same as calling or doing it myself on-line. I love doing the research on best itinerary and price so I never use a TA any more.

There are ways you can get different travel agents to bid or compete for your business. I am not allowed to post the website, but if you use the right search terms you should be able to find it.

The pricing will likely be pretty much the same, but some TAs may be more motivated to share some of their commission in the form of OBC or other perks.

Post the cruise or cruises you are interested in at this website and then check the responses. As always, use caution if something sounds too good to be true.

Even interior staterooms can get some OBC. I did!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Long term TA who always manages (on over 30 family bookings) to make a great deal for us. Always willing to check out rumors of a lesser fare and let me know if it beats what I have in hand -- usually does not save because my original fare was so well placed. Be realistic -- it is a for profit company but the service she gives is really excellent and as I said usually ends up being better than what I could do. I book my own hotels, pre cruise and post cruise and flights and additionally up to two weeks of land tours in connection with the tours so I do know my way around bookings but Lois does better on the cruise. She also arranges travel insurance even if it is not exactly a cruise.

She also often sends cookies at Christmas and has strawberries in the stateroom as Bon Voyage. Worth it right there.

I just got my "benefits catalog" from a new Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card and though I have not studied it in depth enough yet -- it looks like this might really be an excellent coverage and the price is FREE! I am particularly impressed with the rental car insurance as that can almost be what the rental fee is and my insurance agent says we need to take the CDW (I was not --now I do --but really should I :confused::confused: ) Something to consider for if one credit card offers good travel insurance for free it will pressure the others. This was new starting in July 2014 so no experience with it yet that I have found reported.

• 4 weeks later...

I like doing the research too. I'm an "online research deals till you drop" type of person. So, I booked the cruise, paid the deposit and then realized a friend was a TA. So I transferred the booking (on Princess prior to final payment) just a day ago. I will let y'all know if anything special comes out of it.

I love doing the research on best itinerary and price and then call my TA..
Edited by jeffdal
typo

• 3 weeks later...

I have used a travel agent since 2010. But, I'm a little disenchanted with my current booking? It is my daughter's honeymoon cruise. I have seen a couple of price drops, and inquired about upgrading her cabin, but, was told to "leave her where she is"? I have had to contact Carnival directly regarding transferring her VIFP number for her new last name, contacted them for dinner reservations, shore excursions, cabin decorations, etc. I don't find that she is saving me much time or money this time? I too research fares to death, which is why I'm so aggravated that I am not able to take advantage of any of them? Guess I'll wait and see if anything extra is done for her once on board.

Good TAs are tough to find. We have a few different TAs we use for price comparison and travel perks bonuses.

Often, you get the best onboard credit, free gratuities, or other bonuses from a TA when it is coupled with a cruise line's own promotion. I have found great variability with TA promotions, from $50 additional OBC from one company, to free gratuities from another TA, for the same cabin!

When it comes to deciding on the ship or itinerary, Cruise Critic is where we turn to get information and data to compare ships and get advice on what trip we should take.

The challenge is finding a good TA, and it is going to take a lot of work to find it. We decided to try out a new TA for our last cruise. We knew which cruise we wanted - all she had to do was book it. She made an error with applying an OBC that required several emails to correct. She also wasn't aware of a special promotion that was sent that threw in free transfers and hotel stay for the suite that we had booked. We had to contact her to have it applied to our booking. We learned that with this TA, we still needed to monitor pricing and promotions ourselves and then contact her to have them applied. This is not what I expect from a TA. If I have to monitor my booking, I may as well place the booking directly with the cruise line. Needless to say, our next cruise we booked ourselves, without a TA.

• 2 weeks later...
The challenge is finding a good TA, and it is going to take a lot of work to find it. We decided to try out a new TA for our last cruise. We knew which cruise we wanted - all she had to do was book it. She made an error with applying an OBC that required several emails to correct. She also wasn't aware of a special promotion that was sent that threw in free transfers and hotel stay for the suite that we had booked. We had to contact her to have it applied to our booking. We learned that with this TA, we still needed to monitor pricing and promotions ourselves and then contact her to have them applied. This is not what I expect from a TA. If I have to monitor my booking, I may as well place the booking directly with the cruise line. Needless to say, our next cruise we booked ourselves, without a TA.

Do not know why it is so difficult. There are many good on-line companies. Even if you book on line they will assign you a person. Have been using that same person just a phone call away or a 50 mile drive away for last 5 years. I always get OBC or a refund check in the order of 5 to 10% (depends on the cruise line)

There is nothing a TV can do that I can't do myself. I don't need any questions answered, If I did I would just log on to Cruise Critic. I have two Online Cruise Agencies that I use to book, however I use many to find the deal, but book through one of the two Online Cruise Agencies. I consider myself fugal not cheap. I will find a deal somehow. Always travel away from the main holidays, don't want the crowds. I always find a coupon or deal for parking ect. For example I booked Freedom of the Seas yesterday. Leaving in a little over three weeks. Promenade cabin, travel insurance and gratuities. I paid a tad over a thousand dollars for the both of us. I'm even getting a whole $10 OBC. The deals are out there, you just have to research.