Lifeboats

Winston Wolf

Lifeboats are built to hold as many people as possible. They alternate rows of sitting and standing in a way that makes sardines look like free range chickens. You will be surprised to learn that those life boats CAN hold all the passengers, and are required to by law. There are also life rafts and other inflatables stored in metal containers by the lifeboats along the sides of the ship for crew and others.

Tell me that this picture doesn't shock you. This is a standard lifeboat on the Epic. Do the math if there are 18 of these.

1665-vi.jpg

You can see a bit of how they stack people. We asked a crew member about this out of curiosity and he shared that there are multiple tiers of people sitting, legs over shoulders, in a way to maximize the use of space. Believe me, you don't want to end up in one, but they beat the alternative I guess

1662-vi.jpg

Edited by sdmike

Anyone ever been inside one? What are they like?

I'm looking at the 18 on Breakaway and wondering how in the world they can fit 4000 people in those things... :confused:

There are also inflatables that will be on several decks inclosed in 'capsules'. You have to remember that capacity is regulated on every ship. If the lifeboats need to be deployed you will be very cozy -- personal space will be non-existent.

Lifeboats are built to hold as many people as possible. They alternate rows of sitting and standing in a way that makes sardines look like free range chickens. You will be surprised to learn that those life boats CAN hold all the passengers, and are required to by law. There are also life rafts and other inflatables stored in metal containers by the lifeboats along the sides of the ship for crew and others.

Tell me that this picture doesn't shock you. This is a standard lifeboat on the Epic. Do the math if there are 18 of these.

1665-vi.jpg

You can see a bit of how they stack people. We asked a crew member about this out of curiosity and he shared that there are multiple tiers of people sitting, legs over shoulders, in a way to maximize the use of space. Believe me, you don't want to end up in one, but they beat the alternative I guess

1662-vi.jpg

Great pics, thanks! Interesting with the double decker benches, but I suppose it's much more for function and capacity vs comfort.

With around 4000 passengers and 1300 crew (I think) there should be just enough space with 18 lifeboats. I'm just amazed that they hold as many as they say they do!

If you look close at the pictures looking in to the lifeboats you can see a couple of beach towels where people have already reserved a seat.

Lol...Lol. Great laugh for the day.

We were in them as tenders on the Allure (RCCL). Pretty neat.:o

Breakaway has a double occupancy capacity of 3969, and a total passenger capacity of 4500. So the lifeboat capacity will be about 4800 (4500 pax plus 15+- crew per boat). That works out to 266 per boat, but since 6 are tender/lifeboats, with a smaller capacity than the "normal" boats, the 293 seems right. The boats onn RCI's Oasis class are 364 person capacity. There is no standing in the boat, but you are correct that the people sitting on the upper tier seats drape their legs over the people sitting on the lower seats.

For every passenger bed, whether twin, king, Pullman, or trundle, there is one seat in a lifeboat. The liferafts are for the crew.

The lifeboats and their davits are designed for a person who weighs 87.5kg (192lbs)(up from 75kg, 165lbs a few years ago), and the space is 17" wide, and 24" from front to back.

The boats have water and rations for 3 days, but it is stored in lockers under the seats, so it isn't easy to get to with a full boat. And it is 3 liters of water per person per day, and one small protein bar about the size of your little finger per person per day.

These lifeboats are classed as "semi-enclosed" meaning that they are covered, but not watertight. I have been in a 65 man totally enclosed lifeboat. These boats are watertight, and you seatbelt yourself in, because if the boat is overturned by the seas, with everyone belted in, their weight will turn the boat rightside up. These were oilfield workers, wearing their required survival suits, and we did well to jam 56 men into a boat designed for 65. Fortunately, oil rigs are required to have 200% lifeboat capacity.

I have also ridden the "free fall" lifeboats down, and that is like a "c ticket" ride at Disney (for those old enough to know what I'm talking about).

I have also spent an afternoon drifting around in a liferaft offshore of Halifax, NS, in March, as part of survival training, and that was the one time in my life I was violently seasick.

Lifeboats are not fun, and are a last resort. Please remember, with the exception of times like the Concordia, the passengers will be mustered and wait at their muster stations while the crew deal with the emergency. When and if the Captain decides to launch the lifeboats, the only crew going will be those assigned as boat crew. 90% of the crew will remain at their emergency stations continuing to deal with the emergency, and only after all passenger lifeboats are away, will the crew report to their abandon ship stations at the rafts.

Breakaway has a double occupancy capacity of 3969, and a total passenger capacity of 4500. So the lifeboat capacity will be about 4800 (4500 pax plus 15+- crew per boat). That works out to 266 per boat, but since 6 are tender/lifeboats, with a smaller capacity than the "normal" boats, the 293 seems right. The boats onn RCI's Oasis class are 364 person capacity. There is no standing in the boat, but you are correct that the people sitting on the upper tier seats drape their legs over the people sitting on the lower seats.

For every passenger bed, whether twin, king, Pullman, or trundle, there is one seat in a lifeboat. The liferafts are for the crew.

The lifeboats and their davits are designed for a person who weighs 87.5kg (192lbs)(up from 75kg, 165lbs a few years ago), and the space is 17" wide, and 24" from front to back.

The boats have water and rations for 3 days, but it is stored in lockers under the seats, so it isn't easy to get to with a full boat. And it is 3 liters of water per person per day, and one small protein bar about the size of your little finger per person per day.

These lifeboats are classed as "semi-enclosed" meaning that they are covered, but not watertight. I have been in a 65 man totally enclosed lifeboat. These boats are watertight, and you seatbelt yourself in, because if the boat is overturned by the seas, with everyone belted in, their weight will turn the boat rightside up. These were oilfield workers, wearing their required survival suits, and we did well to jam 56 men into a boat designed for 65. Fortunately, oil rigs are required to have 200% lifeboat capacity.

I have also ridden the "free fall" lifeboats down, and that is like a "c ticket" ride at Disney (for those old enough to know what I'm talking about).

I have also spent an afternoon drifting around in a liferaft offshore of Halifax, NS, in March, as part of survival training, and that was the one time in my life I was violently seasick.

Lifeboats are not fun, and are a last resort. Please remember, with the exception of times like the Concordia, the passengers will be mustered and wait at their muster stations while the crew deal with the emergency. When and if the Captain decides to launch the lifeboats, the only crew going will be those assigned as boat crew. 90% of the crew will remain at their emergency stations continuing to deal with the emergency, and only after all passenger lifeboats are away, will the crew report to their abandon ship stations at the rafts.

Good post. Facinating info. Thanks!

The liferafts are for the crew.

Can't express the happiness I feel in hearing that the rafts are for crew!!:eek: I've looked at the labels on those canisters and cannot imaging sliding down the tube into the raft.

We've tendered on boats used in NCL's older ships and here is what it looks like.... Norwegian Dawn -18 I'm sure more would be crammed into the boat in an emergency....

Norwegian Dawn -19

On this Princess cruise, we were allowed to sit up top.... Grand Cayman -07 Joe

Can't express the happiness I feel in hearing that the rafts are for crew!!:eek: I've looked at the labels on those canisters and cannot imaging sliding down the tube into the raft.

We've tendered on boats used in NCL's older ships and here is what it looks like.... Norwegian Dawn -18 I'm sure more would be crammed into the boat in an emergency....

Norwegian Dawn -19

On this Princess cruise, we were allowed to sit up top.... Grand Cayman -07 Joe

Looking at these pics...it just occurred to me. It must get blazing hot inside these things with the sun beating down and nearly 300 people packed inside like sardines...

Great info, Chengkp75. Thanks

Also, I get the reference, but I think the extreme one was an "E Ticket Ride" :)

Yeah, the free fall boats look exciting, but are really more of a "C" ticket. Unless of course, you're doing it from a Norwegian oil rig, and the boat is dropping 135 feet into the water. That's pretty amazing, and the boat is a sub for a few seconds. Haven't done that, and don't want to.

Go here to see a boat dropped from 220 ft: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgcaptain.com%2Fnorsafe-reclaims-world-record-for-tallest-free-fall-lifeboat-drop-video%2F&ei=vutOU6_yEMHgsAT204LoAg&usg=AFQjCNEdaoVV-yIe6gLDvjpNTM6x1akXjA&bvm=bv.64764171,d.cWc

Looking at these pics...it just occurred to me. It must get blazing hot inside these things with the sun beating down and nearly 300 people packed inside like sardines...

Oh, darn, did we forget to buy the ones with the optional A/C?:D

Sweating, barfing, and pooping. It don't get any better. But at least you know you're alive if you're sweating.

Yeah, the free fall boats look exciting, but are really more of a "C" ticket. Unless of course, you're doing it from a Norwegian oil rig, and the boat is dropping 135 feet into the water. That's pretty amazing, and the boat is a sub for a few seconds. Haven't done that, and don't want to.

Go here to see a boat dropped from 220 ft: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgcaptain.com%2Fnorsafe-reclaims-world-record-for-tallest-free-fall-lifeboat-drop-video%2F&ei=vutOU6_yEMHgsAT204LoAg&usg=AFQjCNEdaoVV-yIe6gLDvjpNTM6x1akXjA&bvm=bv.64764171,d.cWc

My husband's company helped build and design a boat similar to this years ago. Pretty cool!

Just so happened that I decided to stroll along below the BA's Waterfront on Deck 7 and took a few pics on a Sea Day, here they are -

IMG20140329_1212.jpg

That was #17 - this is 16 or 18, depending on how they are numbered, the same sizes -

IMG20140329_1213.jpg

Pax capacity is 305 - the smaller & faster speedboat obviously holding less, as I'm sure some are designed for rescue duties at sea when called upon

IMG20140329_1214.jpg

View from the top - standing on the Waterfront ... has its own radar/navigational electronics, and spotting long, vertical VHF radio antenna, etc.

IMG20140325_1952.jpg

But, surely - and, if all else failed and even if the inflatables are full - there are a number of these as a last resort (just kidding, these are for persons overboard - not for survival on high seas)

IMG20140329_1211.jpg

Those USCG-approved survival food rations have a 5 to 10 years shelf life, we had the opportunity to try them out as part of a shelter-in-place exercise. Suffice to say, you will definitely 200% LOVE the buffet & MDR food afterward. Salt water fishing, anyone ....

IMG20140325_1952.jpg

Edited by mking8288

That is flat awesome. Disney should make it a ride. Like, it could be available to do that on DCL. :D

Just so happened that I decided to stroll along below the BA's Waterfront on Deck 7 and took a few pics on a Sea Day, here they are -

That was #17 - this is 16 or 18, depending on how they are numbered, the same sizes -

IMG20140329_1213.jpg

Looks like the designers of these new ships have done away with being able to see the ocean while walking the promenade deck. One of the things I like about NCL's jewel class ships.....

Those USCG-approved survival food rations have a 5 to 10 years shelf life, we had the opportunity to try them out as part of a shelter-in-place exercise. Suffice to say, you will definitely 200% LOVE the buffet & MDR food afterward. Salt water fishing, anyone ....

They used to be Chuckles, malted milk balls, and some really nasty cardboard like granola bars. Expired rations of Chuckles and malted milk balls were recycled amongst the crew, now they are just nasty protein bars. Yeah, and try catching anything with the provided fishing kit.:D

Looks like the designers of these new ships have done away with being able to see the ocean while walking the promenade deck. One of the things I like about NCL's jewel class ships.....

These huge boats are better hanging in fixed davits than trying to have them swing out on gravity davits. It does take something away from the view though.:rolleyes: