Lifeboats

Winston Wolf

Looks like the designers of these new ships have done away with being able to see the ocean while walking the promenade deck. One of the things I like about NCL's jewel class ships.....

NCL designed the newest ships Breakaway, Getaway with a Waterfront specifically for people feel more connected to the sea over and above the Jewel-class ships with bars, dining, and lounges on the waterfront. The lifeboats in the picture are one deck down on Deck 7 which is used primarily for embarking/disembarking.

I like both Jewel and Breakaway class ships each for different reasons. However, both have a nice outdoor promenade decks and other outdoor spaces (sundecks etc.)

Morning stroll

ben-waterfront.jpg

Waterfront dining

ben-waterfront-2.jpg

Edited by kylenyc

Looks like the designers of these new ships have done away with being able to see the ocean while walking the promenade deck. One of the things I like about NCL's jewel class ships.....

ouch. i love to see the ocean from the promenade deck. Any other good spots to see the ocean?

NCL designed the newest ships Breakaway, Getaway with a Waterfront specifically for people feel more connected to the sea over and above the Jewel-class ships with bars, dining, and lounges on the waterfront. The lifeboats in the picture are one deck down on Deck 7 which is used primarily for embarking/disembarking.

I like both Jewel and Breakaway class ships each for different reasons. However, both have a nice outdoor promenade decks and other outdoor spaces (sundecks etc.)

Good point about BA and GA. Guess the lack of view was directed more towards EPIC which, fortunately, became a one-of design. Have not been on BA or GA so is the seating in those places along the promenade open to anyone who simply wants to kick back, read their eBooks, and take a nap? My guess is that there are surcharges involved. Someday I'll have to book a cruise on BA or GA and check it out....

chengkp75 - I stand corrected. That test drop was an E ticket ride for sure. Well, probably F, G or H really ;). I concur with the C ticket assignment :)

Audio from inside the boat: "Wait! I want to get out! Oh, S***! :D

Good point about BA and GA. Guess the lack of view was directed more towards EPIC which, fortunately, became a one-of design. Have not been on BA or GA so is the seating in those places along the promenade open to anyone who simply wants to kick back, read their eBooks, and take a nap? My guess is that there are surcharges involved. Someday I'll have to book a cruise on BA or GA and check it out....

I found there were plenty of places to sit out there and relax - for free.

... Have not been on BA or GA so is the seating in those places along the promenade open to anyone who simply wants to kick back, read their eBooks, and take a nap? My guess is that there are surcharges involved. Someday I'll have to book a cruise on BA or GA and check it out....

Hmmm, AFAIK not a single lounger in sight, starboard side - wait, not even a chair or two. Bring your own beach towel from the cabin & sit on the floor, I suppose :confused: Didn't checkout the port side, but probably the same - we're at sea and only saw 2 or 3 crew members in their white overalls working the boats, painting & maintenance, whatever. It's possible that some were hidden or stowed away or out of sight, nothing stacked unlike deck 15, 16 or 17.

It was super quiet outside on deck 7 otherwise, but I'm sure my presence was on their video feeds. Maybe it's possible to take the chairs indoor from O'Sheehan's but I was AFT and ducked my head outside near the Manhattan Room.

It could be used as jogging and/or running tracks, far better than what's designated on deck 16 - IMO - as runners/joggers were constantly bumping into otheer people strolling leisurely not realizing/seeing the floor markings.

For a nicer view of the ocean & sea, Waterfront above on deck 8 is where you wanted to be, big & nice, comfortable cushioned chairs - they do get wet from salt water sprays.

Edited by mking8288

In the morning and afternoon there are plenty of seats. You can sit in the cushioned loungers for free. They have them both sides of the ship (Shaker's Martini Bar and Maltings Beer & Whiskey Bar). You can sit at the waterfront tables in the dining areas for the specialty restaurants during morning and afternoon for free. In the evening you can still sit in the loungers by Malting/Shakers. And there are plenty of loungers up on the sun decks.

If you choose to linger on Deck 7 instead of the Waterfront on Deck 8, and purposely stare at the lifeboat, well that's what you'll see. So don't :)

Agree. Breakaway/Getaway were also specifically designed to address the shortcoming of Epic with regards to the promenade/waterfront. Although, there are many Epic fans as well.

Edited by kylenyc

Please remember, with the exception of times like the Concordia, the passengers will be mustered and wait at their muster stations while the crew deal with the emergency. When and if the Captain decides to launch the lifeboats, the only crew going will be those assigned as boat crew. 90% of the crew will remain at their emergency stations continuing to deal with the emergency, and only after all passenger lifeboats are away, will the crew report to their abandon ship stations at the rafts.

This is, of course, in a perfect world where the crew never abandons ship before passengers :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, history suggests otherwise. Concordia is more rule than exception. Vestris, Morro Castle, Yarmouth Castle, Scandinavian Star, Oceanos, Princess of the Stars, etc. Several years ago there was a study published that analyzed major maritime disasters over the past 150 years and discovered that survival rates for crew member are noticeably higher than those for regular passengers. The fact is, if something catastrophic enough to cause the ship to sink occurs, all the training in the world won't prevent some from losing their cool. It's the basic human instinct of self-preservation.

Can't express the happiness I feel in hearing that the rafts are for crew!!:eek: I've looked at the labels on those canisters and cannot imaging sliding down the tube into the raft.....

Thankfully the cruise ships have real lifeboards. However there are other ships that do accommodate passengers on rafts.

BC Ferries operates large passenger Ferries on the Canadian West Coast and they accommodate passengers using slides and life rafts. The newer larger ships deploy these from Deck 5 or 6. Looks like a long slide.

Neat photos of them being deployed:

http://www.pbase.com/kstapleton/slides

Another YouTube video from another ship http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKDIsw3B9u0

It is likely the same thing for other Ferries in the world.

Edited by em-sk

This is, of course, in a perfect world where the crew never abandons ship before passengers :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, history suggests otherwise. Concordia is more rule than exception. Vestris, Morro Castle, Yarmouth Castle, Scandinavian Star, Oceanos, Princess of the Stars, etc. Several years ago there was a study published that analyzed major maritime disasters over the past 150 years and discovered that survival rates for crew member are noticeably higher than those for regular passengers. The fact is, if something catastrophic enough to cause the ship to sink occurs, all the training in the world won't prevent some from losing their cool. It's the basic human instinct of self-preservation.

All quite true, which is why I continue my admittedly doomed and Quixotic mission of having US flag cruise ships, where there is vastly more training of the entire crew than international ships.

Edited by chengkp75

Thankfully the cruise ships have real lifeboards. However there are other ships that do accommodate passengers on rafts.

BC Ferries operates large passenger Ferries on the Canadian West Coast and they accommodate passengers using slides and life rafts. The newer larger ships deploy these from Deck 5 or 6. Looks like a long slide.

Neat photos of them being deployed:

http://www.pbase.com/kstapleton/slides

Another YouTube video from another ship http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKDIsw3B9u0

It is likely the same thing for other Ferries in the world.

Ferries are classed differently than cruise ships because their voyages tend to last less than 24 hours. The passenger density in ferries is so much that you couldn't have enough boats for everyone, without the boats taking over the ship.

The chute you posted in your second link is not a real fun way to enter a raft. You'll notice that there are a cluster of rafts for each chute. The raft directly under the chute is initially used only as a landing pad, and people are directed to the other rafts until full. Then the last raft is filled, and it takes a lot of skill to keep people from getting hurt as that last raft fills up, and people are still sliding down.

Edited by chengkp75

If the a horrible incident were to happen it would be tragic especially in heavy seas. Be very happy for all those life rafts that will deploy. So much mass confusion. The rafts will be life savers, there is always someone who will miss their (life) boat.

• 2 weeks later...
A cool photo of one of my favorite boats.

42570d1316114231t-picture3.jpg

Yes, indeedy, folks, there is a 44 foot USCG cutter imbedded in that wave. While the surf at the Columbia River bar (not that kind of bar!) is pretty unique, all those that complained about not getting off the Triumph quicker should look at small boat at sea videos like this.

Edited by chengkp75

Are the rope hoops on the outside of the lifeboats meant for people in the water ?

Yes. There are also handrails along the bottom of the boat for use when the boat is in the least favorable floating position (upside down). Since the boats are not designed for speed, the drag from the handrails and rope loops with floats is not a factor.

Edited by chengkp75

Yes. There are also handrails along the bottom of the boat for use when the boat is in the least favorable floating position (upside down). Since the boats are not designed for speed, the drag from the handrails and rope loops with floats is not a factor.

Thank you Sir .

The evolution of lifeboats, even during the last 100 years is amazing. From boats like these:

A beauty here!

VG%20SPHL.jpg

Gotta love a 150 man totally enclosed lifeboat. This is the "tanker" version, note the sprinkler "rail" over the top, to keep the boat cool if going through a fire on the water. Since no tanker in the world needs a 150 man boat, you would see these on floating oil production ships or offshore oil rigs where the free fall boats are not required. Imagine if these were required on passenger ships! No balcony, oceanview, or even obstructed view seats here. Can anyone say claustrophobia? While all lifeboats will float even if completely filled with water, this type of boat is the one where it is designed to roll back upright if turned over by seas. That is providing that all occupants are seat-belted in, as the weight of everyone, now at the top of the boat, as you hang upside down, is what will provide the pendulum force to right the boat.

Thanks, Squidward, made my day.