Tsa lock won't work on our luggage???

ginagirl

We were just given a couple of pieces of luggage that have only combination locks. As such, we cannot utilize the TSA locks we have always travelled with. What would you wise CCers suggest? Do we use the combination locks and risk having the luggage broken into if TSA wants access? We don't feel comfortable putting unlocked luggage out there? Any sage advice and feedback would be truly appreciated. :)

We were just given a couple of pieces of luggage that have only combination locks. As such, we cannot utilize the TSA locks we have always travelled with. What would you wise CCers suggest? Do we use the combination locks and risk having the luggage broken into if TSA wants access? We don't feel comfortable putting unlocked luggage out there? Any sage advice and feedback would be truly appreciated. :)

This may seem obvious, but can't you just remove these locks, or cut them off? TSA will cut them if they want to inspect your luggage and can't open the lock. You could always leave them unlocked and try strap ties (not what is pictured in the post above). You know, the things they sometimes use as handcuffs?

Also will help keep overstuffed suitcase from exploding and useful to help find your luggage.

http://www.amazon.com/Pacsafe-Strapsafe-Anti-Theft-Indicator-Black/dp/B0018BQGTO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qlEnable=1&qid=1263391214&sr=1-1

41cW3Ih%2BD2L._SS500_.jpg

I wasn't aware they had such a product!!! Thank you oh so much for enlightening me. I truly appreciate your advice.:)

This may seem obvious, but can't you just remove these locks, or cut them off? TSA will cut them if they want to inspect your luggage and can't open the lock. You could always leave them unlocked and try strap ties (not what is pictured in the post above). You know, the things they sometimes use as handcuffs?

Unfortunately, the locks are built into the actual hardside suitcase and can't be removed. I'm not familiar with your suggested strap ties that they use as handcuffs, but do thank you for your response to my inquiry.:)

I haven't locked my luggage for years. I use a strap as above but with no lock at all. Never have had any issues. I never put anything of value into a checked bag.

However back when I was locking my checked baggage, I had the TSA break off locks several times. TSA locks! More damage from the TSA than it was worth.

If you think an iddy biddy TSA lock is going to keep a thief out of your luggage, you are being unrealistic.

If you think an iddy biddy TSA lock is going to keep a thief out of your luggage, you are being unrealistic.

Or a strap. Easily cut.

OP - haven't you seen the video on YouTube, where a locked bag is easily opened with a pen? Agree, keep valuables out of checked bags!

Strap ties = cable ties = zap straps

9124.jpg

A simpler alternative to a lock, but not good in your case a it would seem your lockas are integrated into your case's closing mechanism.

I use them versus a TSA lock that almost anyone and their dog has a key for -- if someone wants into your luggage badly enough, they'll get into it, regardless of how you secure it.

Scott.

My sincere thanx for everyone's kind responses. I certainly don't believe that any of these locks or methods will stop a thief nor do I ever put anything valuable in my luggage. I merely wish to do something so that the "casual thief" won't be tempted and would rather move on to another piece of luggage without a strap. Years ago when we got married, my bridal party bought us a very expensive set of American Tourister Luggage. Back then my husband forgot to bring the keys to the locks on our cruise. I stood in the hallway, asking everyone who passed, if they had American Tourister luggage; and when one neighbor offered his keys to me, I succeeded in opening all 4 of our expensive pieces of luggage. So, believe me when I say I am under no false illusions. But thanks again for responding to my inquiry.:)

No luggage or lock is proof against a thief, but a good lock will deter many thieves because they'll just move on to the next piece of unlocked luggage that they can find. After all, an airport is like a giant buffet for a thief.

For the OP, I agree that Sargent_Schultz's suggestion fits the bill. And it'll be better to use that, for all its imperfections, than to use nothing at all.

No luggage or lock is proof against a thief, but a good lock will deter many thieves because they'll just move on to the next piece of unlocked luggage that they can find. After all, an airport is like a giant buffet for a thief.

For the OP, I agree that Sargent_Schultz's suggestion fits the bill. And it'll be better to use that, for all its imperfections, than to use nothing at all.

Knowing how wise you are in all your advice on CC, I am happy to see that you concur with my assessment of the situation. Thank you for your valuable opinion. :)

I use the big luggage strap to keep my luggage from popping open and so I can see it from a distance. Airlines have managed to ruin 2 suitcases for me leaving me to go home with my possessions in a trash bag. If you don't give them the suitcase, they won't repair or replace it.

Use the TSA locking strap pictured up this thread. Then put a piece of masking tape next to the built-in lock and write "Combo 1-2-3" with an arrow pointing to it. Your luggage will be no more or less secure than a non-locking suitcase with a separate TSA lock added.

If you're traveling out of the USA you won't need the TSA lock at foreign airports....use the built-in lock. TSA is only in the US and they don't have TSA master keys.

Use the TSA locking strap pictured up this thread. Then put a piece of masking tape next to the built-in lock and write "Combo 1-2-3" with an arrow pointing to it. Your luggage will be no more or less secure than a non-locking suitcase with a separate TSA lock added.

If you're traveling out of the USA you won't need the TSA lock at foreign airports....use the built-in lock. TSA is only in the US and they don't have TSA master keys.

For travel from Europe to/from the USA the TSA regulations apply. So either have a TSA lock or leave your suitcasei unlocked.

I just puchased the TSA luggage straps with combination locks for my upcoming cruise. After you lock the combination in, the TSA can open the lock with a key. There is a keyhole on the side of the combination housing which allows them to open it without having the combination. I feel more secure with it than with nothing to discourage and/or tempt dishonesty. Hopefully, they would bypass my luggage and move on to something easier.:D

We never use locks. Our luggage is what you might call 'experienced' but with a great set of wheels on them. We never put anything of value inside. The most anyone would get is some clean used clothing (probably not to their taste) or some dirty used clothes (yuk). Our hope is that the thieves target the shiny, new and/or expensive pieces of luggage that are all locked up (must be something of value inside) instead of our well travelled, unlocked, unmatched pair. So far, so good. If you look at those TSA locks sideways, they will give up, say uncle, and open by themselves.

I use a TSA padlock and the strap and they do work.

Last time I noticed TSA had opened one lock, but not the other. I guess they are returning to their normal lazy selves.

Locks not only help keep your stuff in, but also help deter others from perhaps adding something to your stuff. They work both ways.

My earlier post was poorly worded based on the replies. :)

If TSA is unable to open a lock they will cut or force it open. My suggestion is to leave the built-in lock open or indicate its combo. Then add a TSA locking strap which the agents can open. That way your luggage is secure without risk of TSA having to pry the built-in lock.

Overseas airports do not have TSA master keys (and usually don't open up luggage anyway). So the built-in lock can be used overseas, with the TSA locking strap added if more security is wanted.

Hope it now makes sense.

My hope is that a thief, who won't know what is in a bag and is in a hurry, will move to another bag that is easier to access than mine.
It's why locks do more than "keep honest people honest". They also tend to make the dishonest people steal from someone else.
For travel from Europe to/from the USA the TSA regulations apply. So either have a TSA lock or leave your suitcasei unlocked.
For travel from the USA to Europe, TSA regulations apply. But there is a third alternative: use cable ties (zip ties) to secure your luggage.

For travel from Europe to the USA, TSA regulations do not apply. You should be able to lock your bags with a lock of your choice, whether TSA-capable or not. If they are TSA locks, the security screeners at the European point may (or may not) hold TSA master keys if they really need to get into your luggage. If they don't, or your locks are not TSA locks, they will find another way of getting into your luggage without destroying either locks or luggage. They have decades of experience of doing this. It's only the TSA (which is a johnny-come-lately to checked baggage screening) that has a fetish about smashing its way into luggage at will.

Archived