Only Pesos in Mexico now

boaterette

There is a big thread over on RCCL about Mexico only accepting Pesos now due to there new law instead of American dollars. I am surprised that it isn't being talked about ove here on Carnival.

What new law? It's hard for me to believe, since it's such a cruise mecca and a lot of folks won't change their $$. Personally, I do bring Pesos, but nobody else in my group had them. I was in Mexico in May:)

Just got back Thursday from stops in Playa, Progresso, and Cozumel, used US Dollars in all 3 ports without a problem, got a few pesos in change, but used them for tips,

Dave n Willie

Sep 2010 - B2B on the Elation

Mar 2010 - Celebrity Century

Oct 2009 - Carnival Holiday

Feb 2009 - Carnival Fantasy

Jun 2004 - Majesty of the Seas

I remember reading a thread (can't find it now) about a new law that passed in Mexico a few months ago about vendors giving back change in pesos if given dollars. I believe it had something to do with mexican money laundering practices and the gov't trying to stop it. Maybe that is what the OP is talking about.

This is part of an article on the changes:

New Mexican Law on Accepting US Dollars

Starting September 14, 2010 the use of cash American Dollars to make purchases in Mexico will not be as free as it has been in the past.

Many repeat guests to Mexico who have become accustomed to using American Dollars CASH in Mexico as though they were effectively in the United States will notice the difference. Other payment methods such as Credit Cards of all types and all issuing banks, Travelers Check’s, Mexican Pesos and non American Dollars foreign currencies in cash (ex Euros or Canadian Dollars) are not affected in any way by this new law.

1. Hotels and Exchange Booths will only be able to change a maximum of $1,500 USD CASH per person per month into Mexican Pesos. Previously there was no limit.
  2. Businesses will only be able to accept a maximum of $100 USD CASH per transaction - but the number of transactions per customer is not restricted.
  3. Certain businesses may not be able to, or may choose not to accept American Dollars CASH for any purchase at all (this may include shops etc)

Vacationers should never carry large amounts of American Dollars cash with them to Mexico, but instead they should consider either using a Credit Card, taking Mexican Pesos cash, taking Travelers Check’s (of any currency) or withdrawing money locally in Mexican Pesos.

There is a big thread over on RCCL about Mexico only accepting Pesos now due to there new law instead of American dollars. I am surprised that it isn't being talked about ove here on Carnival.

They happily took our American dollars in Cozumel week before last - and when DH asked for pesos in change, one of the vendors had to go into her own purse to get some - all she had in the cash register was American money!

What new law? It's hard for me to believe, since it's such a cruise mecca and a lot of folks won't change their $$. Personally, I do bring Pesos, but nobody else in my group had them. I was in Mexico in May:)

Where would I change my money at? a lot of places do take dollars but I know the ruins didn't and my husband and I were so thirsty. The smallest bill we had was a ten and they were happy to take that and give us there change. But we declined. Next summer I want to bring there money for those kind of situations. Where would I do this. And what is a recominded amount. Just want some for small things like sodas ice cream in small stores..

I can't believe they recommend using your credit card in Mexico. I won't use my card unless its an emergency, especially in Mexico.

My Parents sailed on I want to say the Fascination several years ago to Cozumel. I worked at the time for a credit card company (part of a major financial institution) and told my Mom to call her company and let them know they would be outside the US and the dates. They bought jewelery in one of Carnival's pre approved locations in Cozumel and the guy behind the counter after swiping their card the first time said he had to void the charge and re swipe it.

A week after they came back they received a call from their card company and there were over $10,000 (US) worth of charges from a Howard Johnson's in Mexico City and some other restaurants. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: (I asked what kind of a HOJO was it to get $10K worth of charges in a short time, did they book an entire floor of the hotel?) Needless to say they had to have new cards reissued, filled out an affidavit stating which charges were fraudulent, their bill was messed up for months because at the time the fraudulent charges remain part of your balance but you don't get assessed any interest on them until the investigation is completed.

So now when we cruise and when my parents cruised after that they brought cash with, and you take only so much off the ship. I have my cards in case of an emergency but that's it. (That's just my opinion)

This was discussed here 3 to 6 months ago. They WILL take dollars.

Where would I change my money at? a lot of places do take dollars but I know the ruins didn't and my husband and I were so thirsty. The smallest bill we had was a ten and they were happy to take that and give us there change. But we declined. Next summer I want to bring there money for those kind of situations. Where would I do this. And what is a recominded amount. Just want some for small things like sodas ice cream in small stores..

I always get Pesos from my bank, Wells Fargo. Their exchange rate might not be tops, but its more convenient then trying to find a bank or ATM in Mexico. I usually try to gestimate what I'll be doing, in order to have the amount that I need.

My DH & I were in downtown Cancun. He had to use the bathroom. Got into this huge turn-style that you must go through to get to the bathroom. Well....he got stuck in it. They wanted peso's. From laughing so hard to see him stuck in it; I was unable to go back down the stairs to get peso's.. he had to climb over a 8 foot turn style to get out. Thought I was going to pee my pants.

Cathy

Archived