Volendam falling apart.

Bill B

My background -

Canadian Coast Guard Command Certificate (Retired).

I've just returned from the 14-day 'Pacific Treasures' (Jan. 16-30) on the Volendam. This was my second (and last) HAL cruise; having previously been on the Amsterdam (Rio - Santiago) for 21 days in '04/'05. The difference between these two, R-class sister ships was like 'night & day'.

Fact - a crew member died in a lifeboat accident in Lyttelton Harbour on January 8, 2011.

Rumor - approximately 100 crew members 'said' "To Hell with our contracts" and walked off the ship in Sydney on January 16 (I noticed several areas to be mysteriously short-staffed during our first, two days at sea until we reached Noumea).

What I saw on the Volendam was: a ship literally falling apart; and a person claiming to be the corporate, fleet safety officer/trouble shooter drinking beer at 0900 onward throughout the day, on many days of the cruise.

I could not wait to disembark. I would not let any of my relatives sail on her (or any HAL ship for that matter). You figure it out.

Let the 'idiot-stick', HAL 'cheer leading' begin...

So sorry to hear of your experience. Can you give us some examples of how the Volendam was literally falling apart?? Are these safety issues or aesthetics, hard to judge without specifics.

My sympathies to the family of the crew member that was killed, that has not before been reported that I have seen.

Bill B, your post is very concerning. Most of us do not have the knowledge to be able to identify an unsafe ship or unsafe procedures on a ship. You do. Would you care to provide additional info? If not, I'll respect your choice and you don't need to give reasons for your decision to not give specific info. BUT any additional info you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

As to your cruise, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it..... was that basically because of what you considered lack of safety? Heaven knows, if I felt unsafe, I would not be having a good time!

Bill- given that you are retired Canadian Coast Guard, can you tell me if there are maritime regulations that govern a minimum number of crew to passenger ratio for safety purposes? I'm curious if a loss of 100 crew would put the ship in danger should the unthinkable (fire, evacuation) happen after the walk out.

Very sorry to hear about the loss of life and your bad experience.

Can you give us some examples of how the Volendam was literally falling apart??

No. I'm not stupid and won't open myself to an accusation of libel by HAL.

Are these safety issues or aesthetics, hard to judge without specifics.

Look at my background and where I wrote - 'You figure it out'. Try reading 'between the lines' next time.

Look at my background and where I wrote - 'You figure it out'. Try reading 'between the lines' next time.

Just because you're angry at HAL don't take it out on everybody else !

Rick

Ricki:

I am not getting hostile. But I do think I have a right to tell of my good experience on the Volendam which I have experienced over and over.

I'm sorry, Himself, but you misunderstood me. I wasn't directing my comment to you.

Ricki

I know the captain personally and he is one of the best!

While I don't know him personally, I'm sure Captain Bos is a very competent Master Mariner. I was impressed by some of his decisions during the cruise; and the way in which he handled certain situations which arose. Perhaps the very reason he is Master of the Volendam at the moment is that he is one of the best?

My background -

Canadian Coast Guard Command Certificate (Retired).

I've just returned from the 14-day 'Pacific Treasures' (Jan. 16-30) on the Volendam. This was my second (and last) HAL cruise; having previously been on the Amsterdam (Rio - Santiago) for 21 days in '04/'05. The difference between these two, R-class sister ships was like 'night & day'.

Fact - a crew member died in a lifeboat accident in Lyttelton Harbour on January 8, 2011.

Rumor - approximately 100 crew members 'said' "To Hell with our contracts" and walked off the ship in Sydney on January 16 (I noticed several areas to be mysteriously short-staffed during our first, two days at sea until we reached Noumea).

What I saw on the Volendam was: a ship literally falling apart; and a person claiming to be the corporate, fleet safety officer/trouble shooter drinking beer at 0900 onward throughout the day, on many days of the cruise.

I could not wait to disembark. I would not let any of my relatives sail on her (or any HAL ship for that matter). You figure it out.

Let the 'idiot-stick', HAL 'cheer leading' begin...

I am not about to "Cheer lead" for HAL nor am I going to attack anything that you say or felt was bad about your cruise. It was YOUR cruise and I was not there, You were!!

We read about the crew member death and that one man was saved in the harbor after something happened to a lifeboat during training in the Harbor. However, we have heard nothing else since the initial news reports.

You are the first to come off this cruise that can tell us anything about the terrible tragedy, the cruise anything at all about this cruise.

Forgive us if we ask questions of you, but you have to realize that you as a Retired Coast Guard would in our eyes be an expert in helping us to understand from your point of view what happened, what should have happened, what did not happen.....

You say Volendam is falling apart... How?? can you give us (read me, if you wish) examples? Is the ship rusting out, are the windows broken? What?? I want to know, and NO I am not being facetious. I am sincere in wanting to know!!

You say the rumor is that more than 100 crew walked off the ship and said to Hell with their contracts. Were these Indonesian, Philipino, European or American Crew Memebers? Were they part of the Entertainment staff/crew or much needed crew??

Please understand I would like to hear in depth what the heck is going on with Volendam.

Joanie

who would come on here.. make those observations.. then chastise anyone for asking for more info... then mention about libel... yikes...

we would still like to know more... but I guess we'll never know... oh well such is life... on to more cruisin'

WHAT BILL B WROTE: What I saw on the Volendam was: a ship literally falling apart; and a person claiming to be the corporate, fleet safety officer/trouble shooter drinking beer at 0900 onward throughout the day, on many days of the cruise.

Bill, What I figured out actually reading the lines is you are already "open to an accusation of libel" with your fairly specific statements. Unless of course, truth is a complete defense. If what you state is the truth, you have nothing to worry about.

I'm kinda curious, why would you start such a thread on an open forum, if you weren't willing to share your knowledge with those of us who are not as educated in this as you are and why would you basically say you dont want to be open to libels o you won't get into it.

What's the point of this thread? Other than to gripe that you didn't like your cruise? How does this help anyone make any informed decisions regarding HAL or this ship in specific?

I'm really curious. I'm not a cheerleader, I've been on 1 HAL cruise so...

I'd really love to know what it was that led you here.

I don't think I can be accused of being a cheerleader for HAL since I had never cruised them before the last two weeks I got off Bills cruise last Sunday.

"Falling apart" ???? Must of been seeing stuff I didn't. Sure there are some maintenance issues which I expect will be fixed in the refurb in March but nothing that interfered with any of the 9 people in my family and friends group.

The only understaffing I noticed was the wine waiters were very busy in the MDR must have been all us thirsty Aussie and Kiwis onboard.:eek:

Not into reading between lines or playing mind games, I am done with this thread......:rolleyes:

It would be interesting what he saw but I also understand his concern for HAL's legal department coming after him. It is an unfortunate fact of life that we live in a society with way too many lawyers and way too few humanitarians

Have a great next cruise.

PS By the way I'm booked on the Maasdam for 14 days in March and although I suspect from what I have read on this board that she is due or overdue a good drydocking and cleaning I'm hoping that there isn't anything fundamentally wrong with that ship.

Archived