Observations from my Liberty Cruise...I'm soooo glad to be back home!!!

picklebongo

We drove to Milwaukee in the midst of a dreadful snowstorm, one of my biggest fears. Luckily we made it out with no mishaps. I'm a very fearful flyer, but the flight was uneventful.

After arriving in Fort Lauderdale, we took the GO shuttle to Miami and stayed at the Hyatt, relatively close to the port. The hotel was sold out due to several big name comedy acts that were taking place the evening of our arrival.

When we entered our room, it had a dreadful mildew smell which was intolerable. They moved us to the last available room, handicapped accessible. The bathroom had a sink with no counter space, so there was no place to put toiletries, clothes, etc, The bed was very low on the floor and it felt like we were sleeping on the ground, very inconvenient. They ended up giving us a 50% discount.

We arrived at the port around 11:45 without having done our boarding passes in advance. Even without this, the process was seamless and we were onboard within 15 minutes of our arrival.

Before boarding I made sure the two young women traveling with me did not have their sign and sale cards linked to mine. My intent was to put cash on their cards the second day of our sailing. On the first evening one of the young women successfully used the card and guest services refused to refund my money. I thought they should have since I clearly expressed my wishes, completed the paperwork before boarding, but they wouldn't budge.

After boarding I immediately went to guest services and arranged for notes to be placed in the computer indicating the young women could not leave the ship without me being present and stipulating I had to show my ID verifying myself by name. By the way, this worked beautifully. When we prepared to leave the ship at our first port, Cozumel, I sent them a few steps ahead of me to test the waters. When they inserted the first card, there was an extremely loud warning sound with bells clanging and the screen went to red. The message was clearly there and this was repeated at reboarding. Other passengers were asking, "What did you win?"

In hind sight I should have confirmed about the sail and sign cards, but I thought it had been taken care of before embarkation. One was done correctly though.

I really dislike when reviews go on for days and sometimes weeks, but I am calling it quits tonight, but will definitely finish tomorrow.

Just to let you know though, on the second day of our cruise, the captain sent the chief of security to our cabin with two of his assistants and threatened us that if things didn't shape up we would be put off at the next port. Trust me, this was NOT a relaxing cruise!

We drove to Milwaukee in the midst of a dreadful snowstorm, one of my biggest fears. Luckily we made it out with no mishaps. I'm a very fearful flyer, but the flight was uneventful.

After arriving in Fort Lauderdale, we took the GO shuttle to Miami and stayed at the Hyatt, relatively close to the port. The hotel was sold out due to several big name comedy acts that were taking place the evening of our arrival.

When we entered our room, it had a dreadful mildew smell which was intolerable. They moved us to the last available room, handicapped accessible. The bathroom had a sink with no counter space, so there was no place to put toiletries, clothes, etc, The bed was very low on the floor and it felt like we were sleeping on the ground, very inconvenient. They ended up giving us a 50% discount.

We arrived at the port around 11:45 without having done our boarding passes in advance. Even without this, the process was seamless and we were onboard within 15 minutes of our arrival.

Before boarding I made sure the two young women traveling with me did not have their sign and sale cards linked to mine. My intent was to put cash on their cards the second day of our sailing. On the first evening one of the young women successfully used the card and guest services refused to refund my money. I thought they should have since I clearly expressed my wishes, completed the paperwork before boarding, but they wouldn't budge.

After boarding I immediately went to guest services and arranged for notes to be placed in the computer indicating the young women could not leave the ship without me being present and stipulating I had to show my ID verifying myself by name. By the way, this worked beautifully. When we prepared to leave the ship at our first port, Cozumel, I sent them a few steps ahead of me to test the waters. When they inserted the first card, there was an extremely loud warning sound with bells clanging and the screen went to red. The message was clearly there and this was repeated at reboarding. Other passengers were asking, "What did you win?"

In hind sight I should have confirmed about the sail and sign cards, but I thought it had been taken care of before embarkation. One was done correctly though.

I really dislike when reviews go on for days and sometimes weeks, but I am calling it quits tonight, but will definitely finish tomorrow.

Just to let you know though, on the second day of our cruise, the captain sent the chief of security to our cabin with two of his assistants and threatened us that if things didn't shape up we would be put off at the next port. Trust me, this was NOT a relaxing cruise!

I'm confused. Were the ladies you were traveling with minors? Why couldn't they leave the ship without you? And why would the ship OK this if they were adults?

I'm confused. Were the ladies you were traveling with minors? Why couldn't they leave the ship without you? And why would the ship OK this if they were adults?

I do hope that the OP comes back and answers these questions as I am equally confused:eek:

Just to let you know though, on the second day of our cruise, the captain sent the chief of security to our cabin with two of his assistants and threatened us that if things didn't shape up we would be put off at the next port.

Wow! Kudos are in order! bowdown.gif

My heads spins at the thought of how much fun was had to elicit a visit of not one, not two but THREE security guards with threats of being booted off the ship and on the second day no less! Woot!

beer2.gif

After boarding I immediately went to guest services and arranged for notes to be placed in the computer indicating the young women could not leave the ship without me being present and stipulating I had to show my ID verifying myself by name.

This statement is a little scary, I'm just saying.:eek:

Oh yeah. Definitely subscribing this thread..

Pickle, sorry you had a bad cruise but thanks for sharing. I am kind of in suspense and all sorts of idiot capers are going on in my head at what might have transpired to get security called.

I know nothing of the two women you cruised with so I am hoping my imagination is right and it involved drunken hot co-eds, nudity, lots of alcohol, and maybe a small fire or maybe a small but amusuing mystery animal was smuggled on board in a drunken blackout. Like a drunk monkey or a foul mouthed parrot, a goat in drag, or a manatee in the pool, or something.

So hoping this lives up to my twisted mind.

For a supposedly "Seasoned" cruiser, I see several "rookie" mistakes here. I'll discount the snowstorm in the midwest as that's not within the OP's control, except to say that there are 2 and 3 day forecasts that can predict the occurance of significant snow meaning that an earlier start might be warranted. Regarding the hotel, handicap rooms do have such features as lower bed (easier for disabled to get in and out of) and open sinks (easier for wheel chairs to manuveur). Surely though, looking at rooms in advance you could have selected other hotels. Mildew in a hotel room is a serious issue and it wouldn't be in just one room but several. Reviews of th ehotel could have pointed this out before the OP booked, unless she booked at the last minute.

But her real problem started when she failed to link the others' S&S card to cash at the check in. Why wait til day 2 to do so? The s&S cards have to be linked somewhere on boarding, not sure how that was accomplished or if the Carnival boarding desk person got it right to be gin with, but no fault of guest services not refunding charges as the "damage" had been done. Op could have then "deducted" the charge from the amount of cash she was intending on giving the other cruiser.

All this and the reasons why the others were on "cash" and not allowed to depart the ship, and why security showed up on day 2 will make for interesting fodder this week;)

Thanks! So far, it sounds like you, and I'm sure that young women you were traveling with, had a super fantastic time!!!!!!

Archived